Sponsored

Does reprogramming the PCM also update the transmission?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I had TSB 18-2307 done to fix the “exhaust mode not available” problem (it didn’t). The TSB advises the tech to reprogram the PCM and to advise the customer that the tranny adaptive learning will be reset because of this.

I am also having issues with the transmission - torque converter reluctant to unlock, harsh clunky shifts, jerking into drive, etc. I was planning on having them reflash the transmission to the latest software because I heard that helps in some cases. What I’m wondering is if reprogramming the PCM also includes the latest software update for the transmission, or does that have to be done separately? I’ve noticed since the TSB was done the transmission is much smoother and many of the issues are not present anymore. Don’t know if that’s just an adaptive learning reset or if the PCM also updated the tranny software.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm not sure how MODERN setups are, they may be separate computers that just talk back and forth now, but at least till a few years ago the ECU controlled the transmission and engine.

That said even if they are separate computers it is possible that an update applies to both ECU's at once.

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Bumping an old thread. I had my PCM updated today for a CEL after winter storage (misfire cyl 8). At the bottom was the same note - Advise customer that shift patterns made change/adaptive etcetc. I wanted my trans reset so this appears to have done it.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Both the ecu and tcu can be adjusted through obd port on single device. But, an update may not touch/change anything in the tcu.

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Both the ecu and tcu can be adjusted through obd port on single device. But, an update may not touch/change anything in the tcu.
If I wanted to trans reset how would I be able to tell if the update did indeed reset it?
Sponsored