Sponsored

Anyone investing in the market while prices are low?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've been thinking about investing in some stocks while prices are low. I currently have no investments and don't know what I'm doing, but I've been looking into oil, gaming, hotels, cruise lines, etc. I'd appreciate any tips! haha
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I've been thinking about investing in some stocks while prices are low. I currently have no investments and don't know what I'm doing, but I've been looking into oil, gaming, hotels, cruise lines, etc. I'd appreciate any tips! haha
i have a majority of my investments in fidelity. They have super low maintenance cost and no cost transaction prices.
You can either setup a Roth or regular ira through them. I believe it is still a 6k cap.
Or you can setup a regular investment account.
One of the easiest things to do is what is called there “roboadvisor” it asks you a few questions about age level of investment and what your wanting from the money. Then after you put the money in it decided what your best options are.

I invested this last week when the market was almost at bottom. Majority of what the robo advisor picked had lost 30-40%.
I’m planning on keeping them for a year to year and a half and then selling off.

you can always just call fidelity. They have always been extremely helpful for me and willing to sit on the phone and answer any questions.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have a majority of my investments in fidelity. They have super low maintenance cost and no cost transaction prices.
You can either setup a Roth or regular ira through them. I believe it is still a 6k cap.
One of the easiest things to do is what is called there “roboadvisor” it asks you a few questions about age level of investment and what your wanting from the money. Then after you put the money in it decided what your best options are.

I invested this last week when the market was almost at bottom. Majority of what the robo advisor picked had lost 30-40%.
I’m planning on keeping them for a year to year and a half and then selling off.

you can always just call fidelity. They have always been extremely helpful for me and willing to sit on the phone and answer any questions.
Thanks! I'll check them out. I'll have to see if a Roth or regular investment account is best for me.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What we have right now called a bull trap.

The market most likely has a long way to fall before finding a bottom.

But the market does what the market wants.
Thank's. I've never heard that term but it makes sense. From what they're saying we have a few more weeks, minimum, before things start improving.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you don't have any retirement investments, yes start now!

My advice is don't try to out think the market. Open a Roth first and max that first. If you want to invest more than is allowed by Roth go with a 401k as your second retirement account. Ideally you should be maximizing what the government will allow into both of them. Put your money in large cap growth funds as a start. Don't do something highly risky like place a bet on a single company. That's a game for rich people to play in my opinion.

I have increased my normal investments right now. Prices are lower, buy more when prices are lower. Yes the market might go down more, but I'm in for the long term. I'm not trying to time the market or anything like that. Every pay check some goes in. More when the market is down - like it is now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you don't have any retirement investments, yes start now!

My advice is don't try to out think the market. Open a Roth first and max that first. If you want to invest more than is allowed by Roth go with a 401k as your second retirement account. Ideally you should be maximizing what the government will allow into both of them. Put your money in large cap growth funds as a start. Don't do something highly risky like place a bet on a single company. That's a game for rich people to play in my opinion.

I have increased my normal investments right now. Prices are lower, buy more when prices are lower. Yes the market might go down more, but I'm in for the long term. I'm not trying to time the market or anything like that. Every pay check some goes in. More when the market is down - like it is now.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have anything invested now and I fear I am starting way too late. My car will be paid off soon (which will free up about $6k a year) so I guess I should put $6k into a Roth IRA, start a 401K and invest what I can, then invest in a few different stocks while they're low.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST

I will second this recommendation, and I have been investing in Fidelity for around 15 years. I also have life and disability (I am self employed) insurance plans through the company. I have no complaints at this time. My investment planner has helped me move the money around when times are good or not. All the best to you and your investing.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
What stocks in the dumps today are predicted to rally when the recovery starts?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have anything invested now and I fear I am starting way too late. My car will be paid off soon (which will free up about $6k a year) so I guess I should put $6k into a Roth IRA, start a 401K and invest what I can, then invest in a few different stocks while they're low.
More reason to start right away. Unless your car loan interest rate is really high it's probably better to pay the minimum on the loan and start your investing now versus waiting to invest. Unless you are planning to try to go for individual company stocks - to me that's more like gambling than investing. What I think you should start with is a larger fund that is more of a market index type of fund. That is a lot less risky and more suitable for retirement investing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More reason to start right away. Unless your car loan interest rate is really high it's probably better to pay the minimum on the loan and start your investing now versus waiting to invest. Unless you are planning to try to go for individual company stocks - to me that's more like gambling than investing. What I think you should start with is a larger fund that is more of a market index type of fund. That is a lot less risky and more suitable for retirement investing.
I have 2 more payments left on my car then I will have some extra money to start putting into retirement funds. I plan to open a Roth first and go from there. I lucked out and was able to get the 0% interest from Ford when I bought the car which saved me a few grand. I planned to open an account a few years back, but then I seen an S550 Mustang I liked. haha

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will second this recommendation, and I have been investing in Fidelity for around 15 years. I also have life and disability (I am self employed) insurance plans through the company. I have no complaints at this time. My investment planner has helped me move the money around when times are good or not. All the best to you and your investing.
Thank's. I plan to check out Fidelity. I've also heard some good things about TD Ameritrade.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like Janus and Vanguard. :like:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
All the advice to go into managed funds is great advice. I have a Fidelity 401k that has been doing ok over the years but that I refuse to even look at during this crisis.

One of the reasons I retired from GM when I did is that when I modelled what my pension would be at different retirement ages (62, 65, 70), there was not a whole lot of difference in annuity payouts between 55 and 62. So I retired at 56, took my pension in a lump sum and split it into two managed accounts and a brokerage account and then went out to work at another company earning a little less than I made at GM, but starting another 401k and better health care benefits. Figured I'd have more opportunities to "double dip" if I started that at 55 than at 62 or 65.

During this market roller coaster I started getting more aggressive with my brokerage account. I bought a lot of Tesla at $432 (it was over $800 the month before and as I type this it is at $502) and Berkshire Hathaway at $170 (it was over $200 before the free fall and is now at $183). Thinking about buying more Ford and GM, but to be honest between my 401k and my wife's 401k we already have a lot of both. Hard to resist it being "on sale" right now, though. I can afford to buy these now and ride them out, because I fully expect each of these companies' stocks to eventually level out to at least where they were before the crisis. Might be this year, might be next. Might be a couple years. I can wait. At last look, my brokerage account (a total of 7 stocks that I picked with some professional advice) is up 2.4% from where it was at the end of 2019. The Tesla and Berkshire Hathaway purchases have more than offset the losses the other 5 stocks have taken. And I fully expect them to come back, too.
Sponsored