Sponsored

Bad vibration

JonW

Too many cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hurst Challenger
I’ve searched here and on the internet, but haven’t found a definitive answer, so hoping for some help. My wife’s 2017 GT automatic has a severe vibration at all speeds. It starts at 10 mph and never lets up. It is more pronounced on acceleration. We’ve been thinking that it was tire vibration. We’ve had the tires balanced and re-balanced and even replaced two of them. The weird thing is that we drove it to Sturgis two years ago for a Mustang meet (1000 miles one way), and by the time we got there it had pretty much subsided.

She drives the car infrequently, so it sits a lot. That’s one reason we thought it was tires. The last time we took it to yet a different tire shop to have the tires balanced yet again, the mechanic put it up on a lift and checked the drive shaft. There was a lot of play in the carrier bearing. I should mention the car has only 5000 miles on it, has 305 series tires on the rear, and has been lowered.

Apparently the carrier bearing is not serviceable. The car is out of warranty. Do I need to look into a one piece driveshaft? I read somewhere that the IRS could be out of alignment. ANY help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
If its powertrain related, the powertrain warranty should be 5 yrs or 60,000 miles. I would take it to the dealer to see what they say.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Did you have it realigned after lowering it?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra