Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Im bring this thread back from the dead !! I am gearing up to do a brake pad change on my R tomorrow so I can start driving it !
Just now, I’m realizing that this kit exists !!

anyone know if the OEM bolt is ok to be re-used??
Theoretically, no, it's not. However you probably would be fine. Why not get a set of caliperfexion studs and not worry about the bolts?
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Im bring this thread back from the dead !! I am gearing up to do a brake pad change on my R tomorrow so I can start driving it !
Just now, I’m realizing that this kit exists !!

anyone know if the OEM bolt is ok to be re-used??
Wow! You've worn through a set of pads that quickly? Impressive!

The bolts can be reused, particularly if you're changing your brake pads every few months. The toss-and-replace message from Ford is about the thread locking capability of the bolts, not the bolts themselves. If they were going to be on there for the next ten years, then new ones would be a good idea. But if you're switching pads regularly, they won't work loose before you remove them for the next change. That said, if you're changing pads a lot, then go with the Caliperfexion studs. Much better all around.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Wow! You've worn through a set of pads that quickly? Impressive!

The bolts can be reused, particularly if you're changing your brake pads every few months. The toss-and-replace message from Ford is about the thread locking capability of the bolts, not the bolts themselves. If they were going to be on there for the next ten years, then new ones would be a good idea. But if you're switching pads regularly, they won't work loose before you remove them for the next change. That said, if you're changing pads a lot, then go with the Caliperfexion studs. Much better all around.
Ha!!! You might be upset to hear that my car only has 20 miles on it!! I only drove it once since I got it last September. It has been sitting under a car cover ever since because of the NJ winter.

Im not replacing the pads because they are worn, im replacing them because I don’t want to deal with the obnoxious brake dust from the stock pads. I did that for a year with my ZL1 1LE and my Hellcat and I hated having to wash the wheels after every drive! I don’t want to do that with the Shelby.

I also want to bed the brakes before I put too many miles on the car. I wanted to do that right off the bat with the Power stop pads so I could then focus on braking in the motor accordingly.
I guess I can drive around on the stock front pads for a bit and brake in the motor, I’ll worry about bedding in the brakes afterwards.

Theoretically, no, it's not. However you probably would be fine. Why not get a set of caliperfexion studs and not worry about the bolts?
I hear you Tom. I’m on Epiphany's website right now looking at the kit. Does he still send a T60 bit with the kit? I don’t think mine go up that high.

I asked about the stock bolts because I really wanted to drive the car tomorrow, it’s gonna rain the entire weekend here in NJ so tomorrow is the only day I’ll get for a while (because of work and the weather)

I’m thinking about running to my local Ford dealer tomorrow and picking up 4 new OEM bolts so I can do the job.

4 new bolts looks like will run me ~ $60. I’m debating wether to run to the dealer tomorrow or spend and extra $100 and get the caliperfexion kit. the idea of not having to torque OEM bolts into the aluminum knuckle every time I change pads is really appealing .

decisions, decisions !!!

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
Ha!!! You might be upset to hear that my car only has 20 miles on it!! I only drove it once since I got it last September. It has been sitting under a car cover ever since because of the NJ winter.

Im not replacing the pads because they are worn, im replacing them because I don’t want to deal with the obnoxious brake dust from the stock pads. I did that for a year with my ZL1 1LE and my Hellcat and I hated having to wash the wheels after every drive! I don’t want to do that with the Shelby.

I also want to bed the brakes before I put too many miles on the car. I wanted to do that right off the bat with the Power stop pads so I could then focus on braking in the motor accordingly.
I guess I can drive around on the stock front pads for a bit and brake in the motor, I’ll worry about bedding in the brakes afterwards.

I hear you Tom. I’m on Epiphany's website right now looking at the kit. Does he still send a T60 bit with the kit? I don’t think mine go up that high.

I asked about the stock bolts because I really wanted to drive the car tomorrow, it’s gonna rain the entire weekend here in NJ so tomorrow is the only day I’ll get for a while (because of work and the weather)

I’m thinking about running to my local Ford dealer tomorrow and picking up 4 new OEM bolts so I can do the job.

4 new bolts looks like will run me ~ $60. I’m debating wether to run to the dealer tomorrow or spend and extra $100 and get the caliperfexion kit. the idea of not having to torque OEM bolts into the aluminum knuckle every time I change pads is really appealing .

decisions, decisions !!!
Just suck it up and do the upgrade. 1 it makes changing pads super easy. I timed myself one day and I can do a front swap in under 10 mins without rushing myself. And that includes R/R the tire as well. 2 you don’t have to worry about the one time bolts. Granted you can reuses them but you risk the chance or stripping out the aluminum knuckle. 3 60 bucks for new bolts... that’s just lame.

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
Just bought the caliperfexion kit, along with the extenders ! I’ll do the pad swap at the 500 mile oil change, hopefully I’ll be able to drive it enough where that’ll happen in the next couple of weeks.

I’ll keep my self busy today installing oil separators, FP air filter, front splitter, zl1 Addons winglets and swapping to the replica wheels.

~$60 for bolts is indeed lame !

thanks fellers.

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
What whee
Just bought the caliperfexion kit, along with the extenders ! I’ll do the pad swap at the 500 mile oil change, hopefully I’ll be able to drive it enough where that’ll happen in the next couple of weeks.

I’ll keep my self busy today installing oil separators, FP air filter, front splitter, zl1 Addons winglets and swapping to the replica wheels.

~$60 for bolts is indeed lame !

thanks fellers.
What wheels are you running?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I never received a T60 drive. Maybe he is doing that now, but I had to run to the auto parts store to get it a long time ago. I dont think I have used it since.

Bullitt40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350/track pak
I never received a T60 drive. Maybe he is doing that now, but I had to run to the auto parts store to get it a long time ago. I dont think I have used it since.
My set came with a T-60

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
My set came with a T-60
How long ago did you order your set? I sent them an email a few minutes ago asking if they were still sending a T60 when I realized they had shipped my order around 2pm!!!

I’d hate to have two of those T60 laying around. Like Tom said, I’ll probably never use it again.

What whee

What wheels are you running?
I got the project 6GR replicas.
182CD79B-3705-44EC-96A3-049C23711147.jpeg

Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
How long ago did you order your set? I sent them an email a few minutes ago asking if they were still sending a T60 when I realized they had shipped my order around 2pm!!!

I’d hate to have two of those T60 laying around. Like Tom said, I’ll probably never use it again.
I ordered a set in Feb and it came with the T60.....I also have 2 laying around taking up space.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I ordered a set in Feb and it came with the T60.....I also have 2 laying around taking up space.
I checked with them via email yesterday and yes, they do ship the kit with a T60.
I ordered yesterday morning and it’ll be delivered tomorrow !!! Super fast shipping !!

I wish the weather would cooperate, but we got rain coming the next few days.

install is gonna have to wait.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I checked with them via email yesterday and yes, they do ship the kit with a T60.
I ordered yesterday morning and it’ll be delivered tomorrow !!! Super fast shipping !!

I wish the weather would cooperate, but we got rain coming the next few days.

install is gonna have to wait.
Yeah, they are quick to process orders and ship. It's such a great modification, well worth the price. I initially thought I'd only remove the calipers for brake pad changes on rare occasions.....and questioned if it was worth it. I've removed them quite a few times since the change out.....lowering springs, Rotors to clean and clear coat, Reapplying anti-seize to pad assembly from a clanking noise. It just makes life that much easier.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who buys the kit should get the extension sleeves. I didn't and regret it.
Sponsored