Sponsored

Noob 2nd hand 2016 GT350 owner saying HELLO!

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
It has been a little over a year since my wife found the 2016 Mustang GT350 tech pack car for my BDay. I've been lurking and reading many, many great threads and learning. The car had 5600 miles on it and had never seen the rain till I brought it home on my bday. The previous owner accidentally left the title application along with his insurance card on the document shelf. This was a great find as it show he paid $89K OTD for it. It spent a lot of time in a climate controlled hanger and the guy finally decided to get something different. So far after I did the 1st oil change it is only using a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles. It how has a little over 12k miles and is my daily driver.

We paid $48K OTD for it as it was still under factor bump to bumper for 3 weeks. I went to highest rated dealership here in south Austin and purchased the longest warranty I could for it. The car was flawless and had 3M clear bra on it. From what I can tell the stripes were added by the previous owner. I added the colored vinyl letters to the Shelby on the splitter.

Mods so far:
Hood lift cylinder kit to ditch the hood prop
Ford Perf driver/passenger oil separators

This is the 1st Ford I've bought since having a stealership blow the motor on my 1999 Contour SVT while on a "test" drive after performing a dash recall back in 2002.:angry: Back then you had to take SVT cars/trucks to SVT certified dealerships. They stated it would be a month or more to get a long block as it was supposedly on national backorder. I did some digging and found one in CA in a warehouse. Two days later the stealership started the swap. When we got the car back the MTX shifted horribly. I took it back to the 2-3 times complaining about it with they saying they couldn't reproduce or it was normal. A few days later I was coming home from work and it started making metal on metal squeals as it turned bearings. I limped to a Ford dealer 1-2 miles away and the put it on the lift and pulled the MTX drain plug. What came out looked horrible and was shiny with metal black sludge. Only 1/2 a cup came out. The SVT dealer sent a truck to bring it to that stealership. The failed to put any fluid in it and end the end they removed the history about the MTX events and just filled it and put it up for sale on their lot. It has taken me many years to get over the anger from that time. I ended up getting a very steep discount on a fully loaded 2002 Altima SE. Three years after getting it I was rear ended going to work at a stop rural stop light. The seat broke when the minivan hit me going 30-50 MPH where I almost ended up in the back seat, before my car was pushed into a old 77 Ramcharger where I submarine'd under the seat belt. This mess totalled 4 vehicles in the end. All 6 vehicles all had State Farm which is another story someday. I ended up missing almost 2 months of work.

Here are a few of my past rides and my new (slightly old) 2016 GT350 which makes me smile each time I drive it. Chassis number G1267

1991 Mustang GT - sold in 2005 for $5k sight unseen. Car was entered in daily driver car show 3 weeks later and took 3rd. I should have never sold it. :)

1999 Contour SVT - killed by stealership in 2002

2002 Altima SE - Totalled by minivan in 2005

2005 Frontier LE 4x4 purchased to replace 91 Mustang GT and traded for 2016 Mustang GT350

2005 Altima SER sold in 2008 after finding out we were having triplets. We replaced it with a crappy brand new 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL

2016 Mustang GT350 purchased in Feb of 2019

Sponsored

Last edited:

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It has been a little over a year since my wife found the 2016 Mustang GT350 tech pack car for my BDay. I've been lurking and reading many, many great threads and learning. The car had 5600 miles on it and had never seen the rain till I brought it home on my bday. The previous owner accidentally left the title application along with his insurance card on the document shelf. This was a great find as it show he paid $89K OTD for it. It spent a lot of time in a climate controlled hanger and the guy finally decided to get something different. So far after I did the 1st oil change it is only using a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles. It how has a little over 12k miles and is my daily driver.

We paid $48K OTD for it as it was still under factor bump to bumper for 3 weeks. I went to highest rated dealership here in south Austin and purchased the longest warranty I could for it. The car was flawless and had 3M clear bra on it. From what I can tell the stripes were added by the previous owner. I added the colored vinyl letters to the Shelby on the splitter.

Mods so far:

This is the 1st Ford I've bought since having a stealership blow the motor on my 1999 Contour SVT while on a "test" drive after performing a dash recall back in 2002.:angry: Back then you had to take SVT cars/trucks to SVT certified dealerships. They stated it would be a month or more to get a long block as it was supposedly on national backorder. I did some digging and found one in CA in a warehouse. Two days later the stealership started the swap. When we got the car back the MTX shifted horribly. I took it back to the 2-3 times complaining about it with they saying they couldn't reproduce or it was normal. A few days later I was coming home from work and it started making metal on metal squeals as it turned bearings. I limped to a Ford dealer 1-2 miles away and the put it on the lift and pulled the MTX drain plug. What came out looked horrible and was shiny with metal black sludge. Only 1/2 a cup came out. The SVT dealer sent a truck to bring it to that stealership. The failed to put any fluid in it and end the end they removed the history about the MTX events and just filled it and put it up for sale on their lot. It has taken me many years to get over the anger from that time. I ended up getting a very steep discount on a fully loaded 2002 Altima SE. Three years after getting it I was rear ended going to work at a stop rural stop light. The seat broke when the minivan hit me going 30-50 MPH where I almost ended up in the back seat, before my car was pushed into a old 77 Ramcharger where I submarine'd under the seat belt. This mess totalled 4 vehicles in the end. All 6 vehicles all had State Farm which is another story someday. I ended up missing almost 2 months of work.

Here are a few of my past rides and my new (slightly old) 2016 GT350 which makes me smile each time I drive it. Chassis number G1267

1991 Mustang GT - sold in 2005 for $5k sight unseen. Car was entered in daily driver car show 3 weeks later and took 3rd. I should have never sold it. :)

2005 Frontier LE 4x4 purchased to replace 91 Mustang GT and traded for 2016 Mustang GT350

2005 Altima SER sold in 2008 after finding out we were having triplets. We replaced it with a crappy brand new 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL

Good luck with your 2016 Tech Pack

Sponsored

OP
OP
volcanogod

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Nice journey and welcome to the club pal! You made a great choice.
TY sir! I see you're from Portland... The stealership that did my SVT Ford loving in was in Beaverton. I use to live in Forest Grove for 12 years before moving back to Texas in 2006. ;)

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.

Mods so far:

Welcome. Nice car !!

JadeGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
TY sir! I see you're from Portland... The stealership that did my SVT Ford loving in was in Beaverton. I use to live in Forest Grove for 12 years before moving back to Texas in 2006. ;)
Small world. The Grove is a beautiful area. The only dealership I’ve dealt with out here is Gresham Ford. Four vehicles now and they have been outstanding.

See ya on the boards pal.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Don't forget to take one of the local driving schools at Portland Raceway or Oregon Raceway at Grass Valley to understand what these cars are about.

OP
OP
volcanogod

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Don't forget to take one of the local driving schools at Portland Raceway or Oregon Raceway at Grass Valley to understand what these cars are about.
Here in Austin we have COTA. It cost around $600 for a day of at speed driving. I haven't been yet but am very interested. They also have coffee/cars meets there. I definitely will try and get into a driving school at some point.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Welcome!

Lots of good info here. @Tank has a '16 tech just like you. He would be a source of good info and advice.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Austin we have COTA. It cost around $600 for a day of at speed driving. I haven't been yet but am very interested. They also have coffee/cars meets there. I definitely will try and get into a driving school at some point.
I also had a 16 tech pak car, if you have any questions, please ask.

Just FYI and quick comment. If you are going to track it and run RPM's to the limit, the tech pack will go into limp mode because of no transmission cooler. There are two (2) alternatives, most say number 1 is the only way but #2 works also.

(1) Add transmission cooler. Many options ie. replace trans with the Track pack transmission and get the cooler added as a stock item or as i did, I added an electric pump and cooler (similiar to stock) made brackets resembling the stock cooler, made lines with AN fittings and and had a blast.

(2) If you want to experience car with no cooler, instead of shifting at redline (8k+), shift at 6K (what I call short shift). The transmission will not generate the same about of heat to enter limp mode. I had done that and got through the track sessions without limp mode. Is it as much fun going to 8K...yes 8K sounds awesome but I would rather have track time short shifting then sitting on side line waiting on trans to cool.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Welcome! I might encourage you to stay away from track days with your 2016 tech pack. Or just be aware that if you do drive the car hard you will put it into limp mode fairly quickly due to high transmission temperatures. I'm assuming the previous owner didn't add the coolers to the car. Anyway - I really loved my 2016 tech pack despite the issues on track. I owned it for 3 1/2 years and 33,000 miles, added coolers and did a transmission swap on it. Very fun car for daily plus awesome on track once the cooling issues are sorted.

OP
OP
volcanogod

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I also had a 16 tech pak car, if you have any questions, please ask.

Just FYI and quick comment. If you are going to track it and run RPM's to the limit, the tech pack will go into limp mode because of no transmission cooler. There are two (2) alternatives, most say number 1 is the only way but #2 works also.

(1) Add transmission cooler. Many options ie. replace trans with the Track pack transmission and get the cooler added as a stock item or as i did, I added an electric pump and cooler (similiar to stock) made brackets resembling the stock cooler, made lines with AN fittings and and had a blast.

(2) If you want to experience car with no cooler, instead of shifting at redline (8k+), shift at 6K (what I call short shift). The transmission will not generate the same about of heat to enter limp mode. I had done that and got through the track sessions without limp mode. Is it as much fun going to 8K...yes 8K sounds awesome but I would rather have track time short shifting then sitting on side line waiting on trans to cool.

Just my 0.02 cents.
Hi 16Kobra,

Trans cooler is probably my next mod. The fact Ford chose not to make the trans temp visible says a lot. I've already purchased the necessary hardware to make it visible as well disabling the double honk when you leave the car running and the wind blows your door closed and changing the default screen from silver to red. I've been reading all the sticky threads as well as many of the member threads in various areas of interest. :) Awesome forum!! Thank you!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The track pack transmissions may be more common now since there have been so many additional model years. If you were to add a trans cooler, I would seriously try to find a good used transmission and go that route. I know 16Kobra moded his, but that was a time where a trans was a much less common thing.

There was a time when Ford subsidized the track pack transmission to tech owners for a song. I think it was a little over $2K. Steve16 had a tech, got the trans, then wound up getting ford to do a buyback on his car. I bought his transmission and it is still sitting in my garage.

Look at ebay, junkyards, auto recyclers, etc. The better way to go is a new transmission with the pump built in.
Sponsored