Sponsored

cold air intake is it worth it?

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I read somewhere for a gen 2 that using a 2018+ stock airbox is an upgrade as it's a little bigger yet still keeps the IATs low because stock airbox. At the same time though I am very interested in the steeda CAI but haven't found enough info on it from non steeda sources
Don't get the steeda CAI. It has driveability issues because the MAF is located too close to the filter. I had lund try and tune me on it and the driveability was terrible. If you want a closed box CAI that is an upgrade over stock for Gen 2 the 2018+ stock intake is hard to beat. It has a larger diameter tubing so it does flow more air than the 2015-2017 stock intake. I plan on switching to it from my airaid intake once I take my car out of storage for the season.
Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
i had the airaid tube with a drop in K&N on the stock airbox... then i swapped to the JLT with a tune... my butt dyno didn't feel any difference performance wise.. but IAT it gets hotter pretty fast... for highway pulls and shit is fine, drag racing or from a light, if you sit too long you and see that temperature going up and up and up...

if you ask me, i'll keep the setup i had, save the money on the JLT and use it for something else...

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It has driveability issues because the MAF is located too close to the filter
I was under the impression the closer to the filter, the better, & the MAF has to be situated in straight length away from any curves.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I was under the impression the closer to the filter, the better, & the MAF has to be situated in straight length away from any curves.
If using a cone shaped filter like most aftermarket the air coming into the tube has some turbulence(eddy currents) right at the beginning inlet of the tube and could cause MAF issues. A little further down the tube the air has a chance to straighten itself out.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have Steeda CAI and Tune and have not had any drivability issues at all, very smooth!

Sponsored

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I had a PMAS for a while and I do think it performed a bit better than stock in ideal conditions (like 55* and 40 roll). The high IATs killed it for me though especially in traffic. It would pull so much timing I swear I'd lose 100 hp.

I then went back to the stock intake but added the mishimoto tube, drop in filter, and a velossatech and I couldn't be happier with these enhancements to the stock box.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I have Steeda CAI and Tune and have not had any drivability issues at all, very smooth!

You have steeda's new closed CAI right? not the one with the cone filter?

Was there a tune and dyno results before the cai?

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Don't get the steeda CAI. It has driveability issues because the MAF is located too close to the filter. I had lund try and tune me on it and the driveability was terrible. If you want a closed box CAI that is an upgrade over stock for Gen 2 the 2018+ stock intake is hard to beat. It has a larger diameter tubing so it does flow more air than the 2015-2017 stock intake. I plan on switching to it from my airaid intake once I take my car out of storage for the season.

This has alot of evidence already documented in this forum. Mostly from people trying to use flex tunes, the MAF placement doesnt allow the tune to learn properly. I personally tried the steeda box and could not get the clips to close, and the box had manufacturing defects with poorly applied sealant. I now run the factory box with a drop in.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I read somewhere for a gen 2 that using a 2018+ stock airbox is an upgrade as it's a little bigger yet still keeps the IATs low because stock airbox. At the same time though I am very interested in the steeda CAI but haven't found enough info on it from non steeda sources
I have a Steeda CAI and I am currently running it untuned.

It looks freaking great but provides little in return. It would pair nicely with a tune. Right now, it sounds great and I “feel” like the engine is a little less choked in high RPM.

IAT’s are an issue with almost every aftermarket intake system. Once you’re moving it’ll drop rapidly but in traffic it’ll shoot up.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You have steeda's new closed CAI right? not the one with the cone filter?

Was there a tune and dyno results before the cai?
Nope, I have the open cone
I dyno'd at ~410rwhp/400tq

Sponsored

27RED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
im eager to know if you tried the steeda pro flow... If im going to get an intake, it's getting a tune with it as a must. PMAS? or Steeda?

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
im eager to know if you tried the steeda pro flow... If im going to get an intake, it's getting a tune with it as a must. PMAS? or Steeda?
Neither man, been heavily debated on this forum. Most tuners nowadays advice keeping the stock box on 2018 and up. Max effort and boosted cars see results but for most NA guys your best bet is headers or getting an E85 tune.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Yea your IATs go through the roof with the pmas or any open cone. As stated earlier in the thread, unless dedicated road racing it isn't worth it over the stock box.

Drag racing and daily driving with any open filter is not worth it. Sure you may get a bit more power if highway driving and then go to pass someone but any city driving or when waiting to stage you are going to lose power when your IATs spike and they spike fast.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Steeda Pro Flow on my 2019 Mustang GT Convertible (fabricated to fit) - before & after is night & day difference (with tune). The car chirps through every gear when you punch it.

Very happy with the results & not just because I work for Steeda.

TJ
Sponsored