Sponsored

driveshaft vibration

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Have replaced four driveshafts over the years 3 of them in our pickup trucks the other in the wife's Ford Sport Trac. Every one was the universal failure. The trucks all had north of 150K miles & surprisingly the Sport Trac only 92K.
Did learn something with the Sport Trac though, that particular driveshaft was a "Throw Away" there was no parts offered anywhere & believe me I checked in all of the key places. Went to the driveshaft shop to have a new one made.

Just last week had a call from our local Ford dealer & wondered if we wanted to cancel the part order as it had been a year. Apparently Ford & even the after market no longer make this driveshaft for the Sport Trac.
Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Sounds almost exactly like the problem I had on my GT. Between 55-78 mph there would be a horrible vibration that would get worse up to 78.

I've heard of dealerships not replacing under warranty because they "couldn't diagnose a problem" so I was concerned. Luckily mine had a competent tech who got it done and all has been right since.

It's a stupid design for the GT, and just absolutely braindead to also use it for the GT350 where a carbon unit would serve a high revving motor better.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thank God, someone else out there can corroborate this phenomenon...
I'm so sick of the Dealership charging me $149.95 to diagnose this damn problem repeatedly, only to claim they can't replicate the problem......
You need to check this thread, which has the most and best “driveshaft” or “NVH” info of this entire S550 site:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vibration-between-50-70-mph.15990/

It’s a very large informative thread that applies to all S550’s, since the DS used is 2-piece... There’s actual Ford Work Orders posted by members, DIY info, other pics, links etc.

Hopefully something in that thread helps you or a Ford Service Center...

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
My 2007 GT500 had a vibration at +/-78MPH when I ordered the aluminum driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop.

Called them and told them about it and they shipped a new one to me and I sent the other back to them.

When I got the replacement. they had sent a CF. Have not had an issue with it.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
True, speed has nothing to due with RPM. You could put it in neutral downhill at 80mph and be idling.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Strange. I woulda thought balancing the DS is RPM dependent. Since that's how they're balanced at the aftermarket places like QA1.
Well, it's RPM dependent in the sense that it's the rotation rate of the shaft, not the engine. The DS rotates 3.73 times for every rotation of a rear wheel (with a 3.73 rear gear), so if you have a speed dependent vibration, it could be the DS or a wheel.
Sponsored