Sponsored

CEL after winter storage

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi everyone,

I took my mustang out of storage today and drove it home, about 120km's. Once home I noticed a CEL. I didnt have a OBD so ordered one on amazon and checked the fordpass app. This is the info. What exactly is it?

malfunction indicator lamp - regulatory the engine system has detected a fault. This can result in excessive exhaust temperatures that could damage the catalytic converter or other vehicle components.

Edit for more info.

2018 5.0, 15,000 kms. First time storing a vehicle over the winter. Drove it super easy on the way home, no rough accel etc. Oil life 49% and planned on changing it this weekend.
Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
You will need to know the specific fault code to diagnose this. The info you got from the Fordpass app is just basic info that holds true for nearly every fault code that could exist............

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
You will need to know the specific fault code to diagnose this. The info you got from the Fordpass app is just basic info that holds true for nearly every fault code that could exist............
What he said ...go to Amazon and get yourself an inexpensive bluetooth ODBII adapter (mine was around $20) and download Forscan on your phone (paid version is like $4.99?) to pull the code. Forscan even links the the web to look up the code and give hints to what it is. May have been something as simple as a slow response from a sensor due the storage. You will be glad to have the ODBII/Forscan combo, can fiddle with AsBuilt data, pull and clear codes, etc. Very handy for less than $50

Meantime take it to Autozone/whatever and ask them to pull the code for you - if they can social distance it :)

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you lose your warranty?

Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi, no my warranty is good until 2021. I would just prefer to avoid the dealership if I don't need to go.
Take it to the dealership and have them look at it imo. It’s there for you and it’s there for your car.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi guys, my ODB arrived this morning and there was this info.

P0308 1/3 ( 1- pending 2- current and 3 permanent)

Cyl 8 misfire detected.

Rough start after storage?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Did you put any fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank before you stored it? While its not likely the cause if you didn't it could explain it if it caused a rougher startup. I always put some in my cars before I put them in the garage each December just to air on the safe side. It might be worth clearing the code with your device and see if it returns. It may have been a one off.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
A misfire can be a bunch of things. Bad gas, bad or fouled plug, bad or fouled injector, bad coil pack to name a few. Could even be rodent damage to wiring somewhere.
You've got a warranty, take it to a dealer and let them check it out. It could be anything or nothing.
I would not suggest that you clear the codes if you have no experience working on the car. It's possible that by clearing the codes you'll make it more difficult for a qualified tech to troubleshoot the problem.
Sponsored