Sponsored

Car will be in shop 3+ months due to parts shortage

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Hey guys,

I need some advice. Car has been in the shop since the beginning of March. It had a 5th gear grind, but it turned out to be more than just synchros. They’re replacing the transmission under warranty but getting the parts seem to be a bit of a pain.

I got a call today. They stated the last part (shim kit) won’t be available till May at earliest, especially since the factories are shutting down due to Corona. Anyone ever run into this issue? Is there a number I could call over at Ford perhaps withhold payments until I get my car back?

I dont really want to pay months worth’s of payments on a car I can’t even drive.

Thanks everyone! Stay safe out there!
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Ask for a whole new tranny, the mechanical kind that is. I’m surprised they opened up the Tremec.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
DC SHELBY, I believe they are replacing the whole thing. Except for some reason it’s coming in different parts. I know they’ve ordered a bell housing.

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
I am in a similar position but they are telling me that the parts will come in this week ? Not sure about that though.

In February they replaced my engine and as I was putting as fast as possible the required 1000 miles on the new engine before hitting the track, the transmission broke down.

I never had a serious issues with this car even with 3 seasons of pretty heavy track usage. Problems started to accumulate with the repair of the ac compressor last November. After that, I had a crack in the engine block. Ford approved and dealer installed the new engine. Now the 5th & 6th gears, synchro and bearings are shot.

Sponsored

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Hi Redline,

I've faced similar issue just like this when Ford blew the motor on my Contour SVT during a "test" drive when my car was in for a dash recall. I was told the long blocks were on national backorder. I started digging around on the web and found one one state away in a warehouse. After giving the stealership the info the long block showed up 2 days later.

I wouldn't give up and I would do some searching online and see what you can find. Don't rely on what they tell you. :)

Good luck!

YoungGT18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I need some advice. Car has been in the shop since the beginning of March. It had a 5th gear grind, but it turned out to be more than just synchros. They’re replacing the transmission under warranty but getting the parts seem to be a bit of a pain.

I got a call today. They stated the last part (shim kit) won’t be available till May at earliest, especially since the factories are shutting down due to Corona. Anyone ever run into this issue? Is there a number I could call over at Ford perhaps withhold payments until I get my car back?

I dont really want to pay months worth’s of payments on a car I can’t even drive.

Thanks everyone! Stay safe out there!
I had a similar issue earlier this year when my transmission had to be rebuilt. Car was in the shop for nearly 6 weeks and the Ford dealership stepped up and worked with Ford Corporate to pay me for two payments. Definitely helped with the sting of being without the car for 6-weeks.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Odd to get a new bell housing unless it’s cracked or broken. Sounds iffy to me.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I had a similar issue earlier this year when my transmission had to be rebuilt. Car was in the shop for nearly 6 weeks and the Ford dealership stepped up and worked with Ford Corporate to pay me for two payments. Definitely helped with the sting of being without the car for 6-weeks.
Thanks YoungGT18. I’ll ask the dealer whether they can help nudge ford to do the right thing.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Odd to get a new bell housing unless it’s cracked or broken. Sounds iffy to me.
I’m wondering whether ordering a whole new transmission comes with the bell housing or not. I mean, I’m not going to complain. I wonder if the original bell housing was just defective
Sponsored