DIY trunk pull strap

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Our Mustangs don't really have a convenient spot to pull the trunk down without leaving fingerprints on the trunk, trunk lid, or spoiler.

I have the PP1 so I used to hold the bottom of the spoiler, but I needed something solid, something that feels like I'm not causing any harm to the car.
So I bought this part from Hyundai Motors, and the part's number is: 81792 2B000HZ

IMG_0273.jpg

Luckly, my girlfriend was able to deliver me the part straight from the country of origin, Korea,
but it's still buyable on the internet for relatively cheap price.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

The stock bolt that came with the strap is M6-1.0 size and does not fit the trunk liner tab hole.

I purchased a slightly bigger bolt from Home Depot for about $1.50 and fit great.

IMG_0277.jpg
IMG_0278.jpg

This mod requires a small alteration on the trunk liner.

I measured how far apart the bottom of the strap is from the bolt, and cut according to the length.

IMG_0279.jpg

Ta-da

It took about 5 minutes to save hours of polishing job that would've been required to get rid of the scratches on the trunk or trunk deck lid.

Ironically, the strap feels very OEM and it's definately something that should've been included on the car from the factory.

I hope this helps!
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Nice write up. I've been using the emergency strap which I reinforced a bit where it exits the liner pass thru, so far, so good.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work. Mine is very similar and in the same location. It took a while to perfect the "fling" using the strap to get the trunk to close just right.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Nice work. Mine is very similar and in the same location. It took a while to perfect the "fling" using the strap to get the trunk to close just right.
For me, the most time consuming part of the project was looking for the right sized screw at Home Depot lol

Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Here's mine. I fished the bolt from the inside. That rubber bumper in the photo is threaded into a big hole.
IMG_2926.jpg
I may add a small "t" handle at the end of the strap to make the "yank" easier.

Last edited:

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
@Min Ahn:

I hope you're still following your thread. The Hyundai leatherstrap - can you measure how long it is?
Also since installing it - any wear or tear in the trunk liner as a result of using the strap?

Ras, Denmark

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
@Min Ahn:

I hope you're still following your thread. The Hyundai leatherstrap - can you measure how long it is?
Also since installing it - any wear or tear in the trunk liner as a result of using the strap?

Ras, Denmark
Hello, I hope you’re doing well given the situation the world’s going thru.
The strap itself is about 14 cm long, and the trunk liner is still in the same condition since the day one.
Thanks.

Sponsored

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Hello, I hope you’re doing well given the situation the world’s going thru.
The strap itself is about 14 cm long, and the trunk liner is still in the same condition since the day one.
Thanks.
Thanks and you too!

Great info and thanks a lot! - feared it was too long but it is just perfect!

As a bonus info in case someone else in EU wants to do this DIY install, I can tell you that the European part's number is 81792 2B000KD

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Is that hole tapped? If not, did you guys tapped it? I was thinking to tap the hole, and just install the strap from the outside. If the bolt is visible, it wouldn't look any worse IMO. The other option is to use a flat hex/philips bolt and a nut on the inside, and then just the slit on the cover. It'd look cleaner, no?