Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I get that, but in my case, so far anyway, the problems I had were eliminated with a PCM update only. I had the harsh 4-3 shift, jerk into drive, reluctance to downshift at low speeds. Smooth as silk now after 2000 miles. Knock on wood. So hopefully my issues were software related and not mechanical.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dawgvet06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1
^^^^ Exactly.

That’s why I’m saying if after a “software” update via Ford IDS a 10R80 is still shifting or functioning abnormally - it’s a mechanical problem.
I know there's no way to tell for sure, but I strongly suspected that there was something wrong with the trans in my car starting last April that culminated in the failure this January. It feels good to hear that others agree. It makes perfect sense that a software update wouldn't fix a hardware problem nor would software cause an issue suddenly after working normally for a year or longer. I'm not a mechanic or engineer (veterinarian), but common sense and logic override Ford telling me it just needed a software update last year.

The good news is that I did get the car back yesterday, and so far, so good. Seemed a little rough at first on the ride home, but it was cold and I have to reacclimate myself to how it drives after being out of it for over a month. I have an 01 Wrangler with the 4.0 L inline-6 and a 3-speed auto that is my recreational/never-ending project vehicle - been driving that daily since the Mustang went down. Needless to say 190HP and 3 forward gears does not adequately prepare oneself for being back in the Mustang.

Of course I forgot to bring the service report with me today to share, but I'll try to get it uploaded along with the report from last April when I get home this evening.

Thanks again, everyone.
Jimmy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I know there's no way to tell for sure, but I strongly suspected that there was something wrong with the trans in my car starting last April that culminated in the failure this January. It feels good to hear that others agree. It makes perfect sense that a software update wouldn't fix a hardware problem nor would software cause an issue suddenly after working normally for a year or longer. I'm not a mechanic or engineer (veterinarian), but common sense and logic override Ford telling me it just needed a software update last year.

The good news is that I did get the car back yesterday, and so far, so good. Seemed a little rough at first on the ride home, but it was cold and I have to reacclimate myself to how it drives after being out of it for over a month. I have an 01 Wrangler with the 4.0 L inline-6 and a 3-speed auto that is my recreational/never-ending project vehicle - been driving that daily since the Mustang went down. Needless to say 190HP and 3 forward gears does not adequately prepare oneself for how

Of course I forgot to bring the service report with me today to share, but I'll try to get it uploaded along with the report from last April when I get home this evening.

Thanks again, everyone.
Jimmy
@Dawgvet06
Jimmy,

Good to hear you were able to get your 10R80 issues resolved! When you get the chance, do post up your work order to show what the Tech notes were for diagnosis/repair.

Mustanggtvert32907

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible
Anyone ever get dtc codes involving solenoid c? I have no reverse car is I’m reduced power as well also sometimes from reverse to drive it shows 10th gear thing to 2nd

Sponsored

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Good read so far, i have a 2020 gt with the A10, 300 miles on it so far and 100% stock (keeping warranty), i picked the car up last week, and today the car has several times downshifted HARD on the 3-1 or 2-1 when braking for a stop sign or intersection. I am going to evaluate it for a few more days then if it continues take it back to the dealer, my previous car a 2018 gt, also A10 didnt seem to have any of the described issues in this thread. I'll update if things continue. Im sorta chalking it up to adaptive learning seeing as how the car has 300 miles on it exactly but im not sure how long the adaptive process takes.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
had very very minor occurances of #1 and #5 in OP.. (1) Harsh, clunky or jerky downshifts - usually most present during the 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift in Normal trans mode and can be more harsh when in Sport trans mode. and (5) Lack of engagement from Park into Reverse when car is totally in normal temp range (190*-210*), regardless of exterior temps.

had car serviced at almost 750 miles, tech said car was just over 1/2 quart low, i asked him if he saw any others come in low, and he said just about all of them that come back in are a little low.

i'd encourage all 10r80 owners to get their fluid checked if they are exhibiting the slightest little bit of weirdness out of their transmissions. what can it hurt?

Whipple18GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My issue one way clutch destroyed, got it rebuilt with the upgraded clutches also, installed it I'm still having these codes P0752, and P2700. I bought a new valve body put that in had a buddy from ford come over and program the valve body. Same Issue again I'm at a lost. No warranty due to the Whipple. 2018 early build with 5k miles. Once I hit 7th gear it basically goes into limp mode and I have no throttle input, then it shifts to 4th and does it all over again, once I come to a stop is when I get the wrench light.

swissmountain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hi guys!

I'm new here, just bought a 2020 GT with the 10 speed automatic (MT-82).
After only 500 miles, I have this error: "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and it now only runs in 7th gear! (1:1 gear)
It's been sitting at the dealer for a week and thy were not able to fix it yet...
Does anyone have experience with this and knows what the problem could be? I'm thankful for any input.

Cheers, Stefan

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi guys!

I'm new here, just bought a 2020 GT with the 10 speed automatic (MT-82).
After only 500 miles, I have this error: "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" and it now only runs in 7th gear! (1:1 gear)
It's been sitting at the dealer for a week and thy were not able to fix it yet...
Does anyone have experience with this and knows what the problem could be? I'm thankful for any input.

Cheers, Stefan
Hi Stefan,

The 10-speed auto is the “10R80”, not the MT-82 (manual 6-spd trans). I hope your dealership is using the proper section of the Ford Workshop Manual to determine diagnosis steps, as it’s very different for a 10R80 vs MT82.

If the trans is locked in 7th gear it could be an internal issue such as a bad valve body OR some other type of hardware failure, but very hard to say at this early stage with not enough data.

Has the Service Center:
1) Reflashed the 10R80 software using Ford IDS and most current version?
2) Checked the trans fluid level?
3) Checked for any blown fuses in the engine bay fuse box?
4) Checked for any loose or damaged wiring harnesses or battery cables? A damaged or loose engine harness will cause functional or operational issues too.

Sponsored

swissmountain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hi Stefan,

The 10-speed auto is the “10R80”, not the MT-82 (manual 6-spd trans). I hope your dealership is using the proper section of the Ford Workshop Manual to determine diagnosis steps, as it’s very different for a 10R80 vs MT82.

If the trans is locked in 7th gear it could be an internal issue such as a bad valve body OR some other type of hardware failure, but very hard to say at this early stage with not enough data.

Has the Service Center:
1) Reflashed the 10R80 software using Ford IDS and most current version?
2) Checked the trans fluid level?
3) Checked for any blown fuses in the engine bay fuse box?
4) Checked for any loose or damaged wiring harnesses or battery cables? A damaged or loose engine harness will cause functional or operational issues too.
Hi Cobra

You are right, it's the "10R80" we are talking about.

They found the problem just a couple of hours ago, it was a connection problem in the plug where the RPM sensor plugs in. (see attached photo)

-When they first diagnosed the issue, they found the RPM sensor to be bad and ordered a new RPM sensor. But this didn't solve the issue.
-They also updated the 10R80 software to the latest version.
-Today they found the problem to be in the connector where the RPM sensor pugs in!

Mustang_RPM_sensor_cable.jpg

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Cobra

You are right, it's the "10R80" we are talking about.

They found the problem just a couple of hours ago, it was a connection problem in the plug where the RPM sensor plugs in. (see attached photo)

-When they first diagnosed the issue, they found the RPM sensor to be bad and ordered a new RPM sensor. But this didn't solve the issue.
-They also updated the 10R80 software to the latest version.
-Today they found the problem to be in the connector where the RPM sensor pugs in!

Mustang_RPM_sensor_cable.jpg
Excellent! Looks like they are getting closer to getting you back on the road!

Your findings may also help @Whipple18GT to possibly research more with his 10R80. It’s quite possible that there could be a bad connector or sensor in his 10R80 like yours.

I have not seen any TSB/SSM’s yet for those findings, so such an issue may be in the minority.

Do keep us posted and when you get your completed work order back, if at all possible include an image of it with your “fixed” update.

Whipple18GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Excellent! Looks like they are getting closer to getting you back on the road!

Your findings may also help @Whipple18GT to possibly research more with his 10R80. It’s quite possible that there could be a bad connector or sensor in his 10R80 like yours.

I have not seen any TSB/SSM’s yet for those findings, so such an issue may be in the minority.

Do keep us posted and when you get your completed work order back, if at all possible include an image of it with your “fixed” update.
Everything is checked, pulled the pan yesterday didn't notice anything, wiring harness outside the trans looks fine :/ Buddy is selling his 10r80 I might just buy that.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My issue one way clutch destroyed, got it rebuilt with the upgraded clutches also, installed it I'm still having these codes P0752, and P2700. I bought a new valve body put that in had a buddy from ford come over and program the valve body. Same Issue again I'm at a lost. No warranty due to the Whipple. 2018 early build with 5k miles. Once I hit 7th gear it basically goes into limp mode and I have no throttle input, then it shifts to 4th and does it all over again, once I come to a stop is when I get the wrench light.
P 2700 is due to a friction application issue, I assume you put in the Mcleod frictions. Food for thought there have been issues with the material de laminating, many are not aware of this as they never have the trans apart again until there is an issue. I put the frictions in and put 1000 miles of street driving on them @ 924 rwhp, shortly after I built a sleeved block and went through the trans while it was out and found this. I replaced the B frictions with the stock ones and increased the clutch count in the other packs to hold more power.
10R80.jpg
B FRICTIONS.jpg

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Well, just got back from picking up my car at the dealership, went in for; 1 from a cold start, the car would accelerate normal, but not shift to 2nd, just would rev up, like the operator would just shift to neutral, then bam! shifted to 2nd with rpm's too high. 2 My car had a nasty, >HARSH< 4th to 5th gear shift, whether in sport, or sport manual It seems to be cured of these ailments, unfortunately, i don't know how to scan my W/O. The tech did a couple of KOEO tests, KOER selftest, It looks like they did do a power train control module update! but there is no part# listed for the update. ( Reprogrammed to latest level) Performed adaptive learning drive cycle, Cleared transmission adaptive table, and finally performed adaptive relearn. Drove ok. I also asked them to check fluid level, they found it was full to spec. on the trans fluid.
Sponsored