Sponsored

2015 Ecoboost Mustang Aquamist HFS-4 Installation Guide

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I was initially planning to write this all out in the forum, but it turned into a 25pp document, so I've attached it as a PDF. I've included the other reference PDFs I used to complete my installation, too, including the v3 diagram from Aquamist, which I did not use, but you will need if your car has the 16 pin width ECU plugs.

I chose the Aquamist system for my Ecoboost Mustang, despite its considerably-higher expense over the competition, because it seems to be the most comprehensively well-engineered system with the best built-in failsafe. The major competitors’ inadequate or non-existent failsafes rendered them non-options for me. There are several gaps in the Aquamist installation instructions, so I am attempting to capture as much of my learning as possible for anyone coming behind me with a Mustang installation.

This is a fairly advanced installation. You’ll need to know how to read wiring diagrams and schematics in addition to general mechanical competencies like making holes, measuring, wiring, and so on. You assume and are responsible for any and all risks and any and all damage that occurs from your installation.

Install Time: plan for four full days.

Table of Contents
  • Tools, Materials, and Parts Needed (other than standard tools, wrenches etc.)
  • Plan Your Installation.
  • Tank Installation.
  • Methanol Vent Installation.
  • Pump Installation.
  • 6mm Line Plumbing.
  • Pump Harness Routing.
  • FAV Installation.
  • ECU Harness Installation.
  • Left-side Harnesses.
  • Controller Installation.
  • Silicone Hose Adapter/Nozzle Installation.
  • Notes on Initial Testing.
  • Setting the Failsafe.
Sponsored

Attachments

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Very little info on this unit installed on our ecoboost’s so this is great to see. It is by far the most sophisticated system. Ive been dreaming about a 5 nozzle aqua mist setup.

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Results: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang PP
392 hp, 456 tq
+27% hp, +30% tq over stock

The dip at 6,300rpm is the Aquamist failsafe triggering. I was unaware, at the time, that you're supposed to disable the failsafe on the dyno. I did get confirmation, though, that when the failsafe cuts boost, timing drops with it, so the engine is very well-protected. Ignore the blue lines.
Dyno_After_With.png
boost - Copy.png
timing - Copy.png

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! I started using Aquamist in 2003. It’s really the safest, best built and most comprehensive kit of its kind.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
How’s the system and performance been?
It's been great. The only issue I've encountered was the gauge needed to be adjusted in the hot weather. More on that once I get out and reset the gauge.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Good to hear. Really want to grab one of these kits!

Couple additional questions:

Looks like you used one nozzle. I’ve read from aquamist if not doing port injection they recommend two nozzles about a foot apart in the cold pipe. In your case why did you choose one nozzle instead?

Did you buy stateside or direct from Aquamist?

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Looks like you used one nozzle. I’ve read from aquamist if not doing port injection they recommend two nozzles about a foot apart in the cold pipe. In your case why did you choose one nozzle instead?
I asked Richard about that. He said if a single nozzle provides adequate flow, it will be fine, and he further said their nozzle design atomizes the same droplet size across the range, so really there's no benefit to splitting the load across two nozzles when one has the capacity. The largest nozzle they have provided the target flow we were going for, so the only remaining question, in my mind, was whether that flow amount was correct (no evidence that 550cc/min is correct or incorrect - the tuner made it work). I have everything, including the nozzles, to increase capacity if/when needed.
Did you buy stateside or direct from Aquamist?
Direct. As I understand it, kits can only be bought from the UK site. The thing they do a poor job of publicizing is that there's a stateside parts distributor, which makes ordering parts, obviously, much faster and cheaper. I got my silicone hose adapter size wrong and needed a replacement, and was greatly relieved that I didn't have to get another one from the UK![/QUOTE]

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Great-thanks!

Last question for now: have you looked at fuel/timing trims per cylinder to see how the distribution of WMI per cylinder is?

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Great-thanks!

Last question for now: have you looked at fuel/timing trims per cylinder to see how the distribution of WMI per cylinder is?
I have not, and for the same reason I chose not to do a port setup: I am not chasing maximum power. I intended to leave power on the table for a "safe" tune, so knock threshold, collectively, was sufficient to tune the engine.

Sponsored

S550chip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost mustang
Do you by chance know if the install and the wiring diagram is similar for the hfs-3 system? I have a kit I’m installing on my ecoboost mustang with a custom efr turbo setup. If not do you think if I followed their general wiring diagram to my cars ecu location Ill be okay?

OP
OP
RubyRed15

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I can't say for sure. I'd start with this guide by verify all the details, especially with the wiring to the ECU.

elkwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elkwood
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I can't say for sure. I'd start with this guide by verify all the details, especially with the wiring to the ECU.
Wow just wow tks so much for posting all this up!! I always wanted to go Meth when i had my sti's. This will be a huge help if i go in that direction with the stang

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Loads of valuable information!!
Screenshot_2021-10-16-10-37-59.png

FYI: Ford was kind enough to put 4 threaded holes in the floor of my 2018, plus a few openings with rubber plugs. Great for any retro fit in the right rear corner!
Screenshot_2021-09-25-14-59-53.png

S550chip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost mustang
Appreciate it, Going to be installing my Aquamist system really soon so I can hit my 500 whp mark and help the car run healthy
Sponsored