Sponsored

Has anyone had a 17 GT Power pack 2 and gone to a 3 W/O the Tune kit from Ford?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I agree how did you know you had ping and did you fill with minimum 91 octane? I waited until I was almost empty before filling my tank with 93 octane then I made the appt to have power pack 2 installed... The best benefit of the tune is the no lift shift...
See link to thread I posted above. Last time I checked 40% 91 octane users have pinging.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Same here, no negative effects at all and it will be 3 years in May that I've had it installed.

I've always run 93 in mine the only time it had 87 was from the dealers complimentary full tank after purchase, I've been filling it with 93 since the first fill up.
Same here.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See link to thread I posted above. Last time I checked 40% 91 octane users have pinging.
I use only Shell 93 and never had a problem.
I have heard of people using costco and other second tier gas and having issues.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I used to have PP3 and was a little alarmed by the pinging at first. Most noticeable driving next to a wall when you tip in hard, then goes away. Called FP and they swore it’s normal. Even stock Mustangs explore the edge of knock by advancing timing until a little knock is detected then pull back. They’re just a little more aggressive on the power packs, which is why they require 91+. I believed them, it’s the way it’s set up and unless you hear heavy, persistent knock your engine will/should be fine.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
There are very few adjustments from pp2 to pp3 in the tune. One tq monitoring map, 300rpm increase in redline and the manifold volume. The manifold does the work. you can make these changes yourself for$400 and buy the mani for 600 or so. Or run the MY18 mani and utilize the same changes and save 200 bucks. Timing maps, no lift shift etc all the same.

I personally wouldn't run it with out adjusting the tune for fueling sake. The gt350 maf transfer curve is a bit lean based on adjusting my own car. Also without the extra rpm, I'd bet the pp2 will be faster. The only gains with that manifold are north of 6500rpms. You have to ride that upper rpm as much as you can to get anything from it. Usually a gt350 mani is best if you will carry the rpm out near 8k rpm or more as it holds better. My18 mani dies around 7200rpm and 74to 7600 shift points are about perfect.

I've never heard my pp2 ping on 93. But it does and the knock sensors tell the real story once properly logged. Never would have thought it was pinging either until logged. The power difference from a pull with KR vs with out is noticeable. Especially when done back to back.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have heard of people using costco and other second tier gas and having issues.
I only use shell 93 or sunoco 93 in my stang, nothing else. In my explorer and the wife's edge I run anything 87 except BP, they are our DD's.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Well, guess what, there are states where 93 is not available. 91 only. And then there's costco 91.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did we learn here?
There isn't anything wrong with the power packs but there is something wrong with trying to run borderline 91 tightwad gas and seemingly no issue with tier one 93.
If I ran power pack 2 in NY where 91 is limit I wouldn't be using costco gas and I would definitely be putting a little redline octane booster in as well (since gas delivery drivers have been known to put the wrong gas in the station holding tanks from time to time). Redline octane booster is available everywhere and so is tier 1 fuel.
Years ago we used moroso additive. If you can't afford to or don't want to do that you shouldn't be driving a modified vehicle.

Last edited:

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
WOW very helpful information fellas thank you for that... at the end of the day if he is not comfortable with it then that is all that matters... the tune was developed by engineers specific to the 2nd gen 5.0 coyote, I trust it and they do to not to void warranty... this is why I asked how did you diagnosed the ping... All engines have ping, when it is above a certain threshold then the knock sensors will pick it up throw warning codes... I really enjoy the power pack 2 upgrade... Sure any 3rd market tuner can squeeze more power, provide no lift shift, etc.... But they cannot guarantee it will not void warranty... This is why the power packs were valued by some of us that depend on that standard or extended warranty purchases...

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I have had the PP 2 for 3 yrs and run 91 (10% blend) fuel all the time NEVER had a ping EVER. I do use 93 once in a while, but its just harder to find here in IA so I do when I can.

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've never heard mine ping, but a proper scan tool with cylinder to cylinder knock monitoring is needed to see what the sensors are picking up. For it to be heard means the knock sensors maxed their limits and its still pinging.

@GEBRONI I'm confused. No aftermarket tune/ tuner needed. You use the pp2 tune as a base. Adjust like the frpp3 tune and enjoy. No lift shift only in frpp tunes. Aftermarket can't replicate. Same quality tune. But a grand less

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Talking about maintaining warranty, if I did not care I would have other bolt-ons and third party tune to get the most out of N/A... Yes there are tuners that can give you no lift shift:

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I certainly wish that would work for a s550 2nd gen 5.0 but it does not. The video is a bama tuned 1st gen 5.0 in a s197. The ECU is different between the generations.

GEBRONI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I certainly wish that would work for a s550 2nd gen 5.0 but it does not. The video is a bama tuned 1st gen 5.0 in a s197. The ECU is different between the generations.
Ah did not know that; I am not happy with Ford Performance not selling their tune; and even if you have the power pack 2 and want to upgrade.. you have to buy the whole darn power pack 3 kit... So I get what you mean a tuner can adjust the power pack 2 tune to accept the upgraded intake manifold...

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
When I had PP3 I was a little freaked out by the ping, as I said, but if we believe the guys over at FP (I do) then it really isn't anything to worry about. I called them more than once and they told me it's normal...if it sustains as you rev up, then something's not right, but a little rattle at tip in is okay. I wouldnt worry about it. The (stock mustang) manual even says "Do not be concerned if you hear light knock..." in the fuel quality section. It's the way it was designed, as long as the fuel is good.

But I asked a fuel truck guy at a gas station and he told me mistakes happen from time to time. I think a PPX owner would be able to tell early on if they got 87...and there's "Octane Adjust" in those cases. It's good to be careful but it shouldnt hold you back, in my opinion.

BTW the next time a BMW or mercedes pulls up next to you, open your window and listen when they accelerate away. A LOT of them have that tip-in rattle. It's just one way to maximize power when you have knock sensors. GM doesnt do it but Ford and apparently BMW do.
Sponsored