Sponsored

Is Homelink really that directional

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I access my garage from an alley and I back the Mustang in. I can open the garage door from the end of the alley with the Homelink button but when I leave the garage most of the time I have to back up past the alley to get the garage door to close. You would think the signal from the Homelink would be more unidirectional, not a huge deal but frustrating none-the-less.

Anyone else have this issue. Must be other's who back their car into the garage.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I've noticed that the Homelink remote in my 2006 GT and 2016 GT both had really bad range, across two different brands of garage door openers. I replaced the openers at my current home with a couple new Chamberlains. Range went up by like 200%. It's possible that pulling in one way vice the other puts you out of range.

JR

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
I back my car in and have no difficulties. I pull out of the garage and am only about three feet outside (short driveway) and hit the button. Door always comes down

Don

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Backing in does nothing to change the range of mine. I have double doors and two openers, one I can open easily from a reasonable distance when pulling up to my house, the other will sometimes not open until I’m in the driveway. With my Toyota I can open the door from six houses down the street. The range with the Mustang is significantly lower.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
mine sucks. I pretty much have to be in the garage for it to open or close, so I bought a small transmitter from Amazon and dont even use the Homelink on the visor anymore. I do have an old opener, but the replacement transmitter I bought from Amazon works down the street every time. There are a lot of threads on this site talking about how bad the Homelink is on these cars. For some people.

Sponsored

southwestheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe 10A 401A 19" 3.55 B&O
mine sucks. I pretty much have to be in the garage for it to open or close, so I bought a small transmitter from Amazon and dont even use the Homelink on the visor anymore. I do have an old opener, but the replacement transmitter I bought from Amazon works down the street every time. There are a lot of threads on this site talking about how bad the Homelink is on these cars. For some people.
I need to do this. The OEM transmitter in my '18 Edge was awesome. The Mustang one sucks. I just need one that doesn't rattle. Every opener I've attached to a visor has always rattled.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For those having issues with their garage door openers, extend the length of the garage door opener antenna.

It’s easy to do. Look for the antenna wire usually protruding from the unit on top or it hangs below it. If you don’t see a hanging or protruding wire, flip down the light bulb cover and it may be tucked in there.

Get wire that is the same gauge as the antenna wire. Splice the new wire to the existing antenna wire and extend it forward to your garage door or front garage wall. Leave excess wire hanging. The length of the extension and excess is determined by you.

Be sure when you extend the wire, pick a route that keeps the wire out of the way of the door and opener gear when the door opens.

Now you should have excellent signal strength from the Home Link and/or any other transmitter.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
Old thread, but will tag onto it seeing as its on topic.

A week ago I replaced my old Liftmaster with a new Chamberlain B6713T.

My 2017 Edge Sport and my wife's 2015 Mustang's Homelink work great with the old Liftmaster, with more range than you'd need.

The new Chamberlain works very well and my cars Homelink has the same range as before, but the Mustang needs to be withing 5' of the door for it to work.

Tried repeating the re-learn a couple of times but no improvement.

If it was that both cars Homelink ranges were bad then we'd automatically suspect the new Chamberlain, but that not the case.

The new Chamberlain doesn't have an antenna wire dangling on the outside of the casing, so can't try the extension wire suggested above.

Any ideas other than abandoning Homelink in the Mustang?

Deleted member 35644

I bought a Homelink sun visor out of a wrecked Mustang, and it is inconsistent at best. Some days I come home I can open it while I'm still in front of the neighbor's house, other days I have to pull up to the door. Having my truck in the driveway seems to be a big hindrance. When it's not there, I can always open it from down the street. Another strange fact is that the one in the convertible works better than the one in the coupe.

Sponsored

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
Sounds more like an opener issue vs the transmitter. The Homelink in my 2022 Mustang convertible will open either of my garage doors when I first hit my driveway some 600 feet from the doors. One opener is a 20 year old and the other 5 year old Overhead Door openers. Both have the little wire antenna that hangs down from them. The signal passes through the heavy duty wood composite doors.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I couldn’t get mine to work for the longest time and then it finally took the training. You had to hold the button a specific time or it wouldn’t work. It finally went intermittent and I just got tired of it and went back to the factory fob for the garage door. Here in Canada we have rolling code remotes and it just doesn’t seem to play well with that.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Sounds more like an opener issue vs the transmitter. The Homelink in my 2022 Mustang convertible will open either of my garage doors when I first hit my driveway some 600 feet from the doors. One opener is a 20 year old and the other 5 year old Overhead Door openers. Both have the little wire antenna that hangs down from them. The signal passes through the heavy duty wood composite doors.
Agree, some issue with the new belt drive Chamberlain opener, but the odd thing is that my 2017 Ford Edge had no issue with the old opener, and has no issue with the new opener, while the Mustang which worked well with the old opener doesn't work well with the new opener.

There's range issues with the new 3-button remote and the Homelink visor in the Mustang.

I opened the back end of the new opener and pulled the antenna wire out and let it hang outside the casing and this improved the range, then I used coax to the outside of the garage with 10" of the inside core exposed at the end and that has made the range acceptable in the Mustang.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Mine is tougher to figure out. It was a headache to program as the manual instructions didn’t work and an hour on the phone with Homelink finally got it working with both my doors but the strange part is range with one door is very good and my second is very poor to the fact that sometimes I have the car within a few feet of the door for it to open. I can’t extend antenna wires as my openers (Sommer Synoris) do not have external antennas. Have learned to live with it but would really like it if it could be improved.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Mine is tougher to figure out. It was a headache to program as the manual instructions didn’t work and an hour on the phone with Homelink finally got it working with both my doors but the strange part is range with one door is very good and my second is very poor to the fact that sometimes I have the car within a few feet of the door for it to open. I can’t extend antenna wires as my openers (Sommer Synoris) do not have external antennas. Have learned to live with it but would really like it if it could be improved.
After trying everything and re-learning the remotes and Homelink I became very proficient at it.

My new Chamberlain had the antenna wire tucked away inside the casing and even their support people said I couldn't use a range extender because there was no antenna, then I found a YT showing how to bring the antenna wire out of the casing.

A bit of research and you should be able to find the location of your antenna and extend it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122555192907
Sponsored