Sponsored

New York Resident - buying out of state

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Looking for advice from any New York State forum members who have bought a new car out of state. Looking to make an out of state purchase on a new car and inquiring what to look out for/advice from those who have done it. Thanks
Sponsored

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350Ā®
I bought my previous car (Focus ST) in Virginia while I was living in the Empire State many moons ago. It was very straightforward. You might not be taken seriously initially by dealers the moment you say youā€™re out of state but if you can convince them youā€™re serious, youā€™re good.

Reactions: TDC

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Bought mine in NJ.. and every car I think. But that's basically like buying in NY. Dealer handled the paper work.

With a used car I just brought the dmv the title im not sure what the new car process is.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I bought my last Corvette in NH. Did everything on line and then went to pick up the car. Dealer handled all the paperwork.
When I lived in NY I bought all my cars in NJ. Since moving to NJ, I bought all my cars in Pa. Go Figure!

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I live in CT and have bought cars in both Mass and RI multiple times. Itā€™s super easy they took care of everything including registration. Which state are you buying from?

Sponsored

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
If you are buying from a dealer they will handle all title and registration. They are legally obligated to do so if there is a lien. If you are paying cash have them do it anyway as it will save you a trip to the DMV.

If you are buying private party I would make up bills of sale for both parties to sign and when you get home to register it you will have to pay sales tax. Just bought mine in MI and that is what I did.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Looking for advice from any New York State forum members who have bought a new car out of state. Looking to make an out of state purchase on a new car and inquiring what to look out for/advice from those who have done it. Thanks
Check with your DMV but for me in CO buying out of state was easy. The state I bought my Shelby in did not charge me sales tax. I paid the sales tax at registration time in CO.

OP
OP
TDC

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Thanks all for the advice.

.... Which state are you buying from?
Kentucky. I researched the emissions info and the car meets the California emissions level that NYS requires; so I believe no issue there.

I am buying from the dealer so I will have another conversation with them on Monday to confirm the registration. Iā€™ll have the insurance setup soon and hope to get out there end of the week.

Thanks for all the tips.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I'm in NJ, bought my R in Kentucky and bought my Hellcat in North Carolina. Did everything over the phone, I never went to the dealer, I had a shipping service pick up the cars and deliver them to me. That service doesn't need to brake the bank either, both deliveries were less than a thousand dollars. You'll have to do your homework by asking people who have had cars shipped what company they used and if they liked the service provided.

Dealership will overnight all paperwork for you to be signed, you overnight back to them and bam the car is yours.

One thing i'll point out is that you have to be ready to give them a some money over the phone for them to hold the car and take you seriously. This is not a concern as long as you are dealing with a dealership. Just be explicit with them, I always told them before I gave them any money that they needed to email me something saying that the money was refundable if the deal did not happen. that's all.

I actually enjoyed buying cars out of state, I don't like going to dealerships and dealing with slimy dealership staff. A phone call here and there puts you more in control because they can't tire you out by keeping you in that dealership for 5 hours while they wear you down with bullshit.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413

Kentucky. I researched the emissions info and the car meets the California emissions level that NYS requires; so I believe no issue there.

I am buying from the dealer so I will have another conversation with them on Monday to confirm the registration. Iā€™ll have the insurance setup soon and hope to get out there end of the week.

Thanks for all the tips.
you buying from Paul Miller Ford?

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
The dealerships usually are not the problem, the shipping companies could very well be.
The dealership can also help prep the car for shipping with protective measures like door guards etc.
If itā€™s an ordered car, have them leave all the protective materials on the car, it will help.
Donā€™t be afraid to pay a little extra for a reputable transporter. Shy away from moving companies unless they specialize in cars as well.
My brother in law recently moved from California to Wyoming. When his moving company delivered his household goods, there was a car stuffed inside the trailer that was not his. His belongings were piled all over it. He was glad he didnā€™t use them to ship his ā€˜68 Charger. Heā€™s now looking to have that done so any recommendations would be appreciated.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
What are you buying?????

Thanks for all the tips.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Flying to Kentucky? Be careful at the airport.