Sponsored

How's The Clutch?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I'm on my second day after removing the helper spring completely and I'm even more in love with the car. My love affair with the car started with me not being very happy with the clutch feel. So I bought the steeda clutch spring in hopes i would be happier with the clutch feel. I was some what happier but not real happy. Yesterday I decided to remove the spring completely and I could not be happier. I can shift the car smoothly all day long. If you feel your clutch could be more linear you owe it to yourself to try this fix. You can put your car back to stock in minutes but I bet you won't. I'm loving it. I came out of a Corvette to the GT350. It's a great car. ZZCHOPPER
I have to agree with all the positive sentiments of the clutch effort, transmission feel and overall greatness of these cars. I came out of Porsche 911's (964 and 993) and Honda's and Acura's before that, all cars that are known for having great gearboxes and this is as good or better than anything I have ever driven. With respect to clutch feel, though I am in the minority, I like the feel and progressiveness of the factory setup. I tried the Steeda spring after reading all the rave reviews and pulled it after two days as I did not like the feel at all. went back to stock and been happy for nearly three years. Have not tried it spring-less but have reservations of long term effects of running it without the spring.
Sponsored

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
I would prefer a much stiffer clutch pedal. Are there any potential problems, warranty or otherwise, going spring-less?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Here's my list of manuals that I've owned in order of my favorites. Based on Transmissions

1. 2018 GT350 R - most superior precise shifting experience by far - perfect as is imo
2. 2014 GT500 - precise - stiffer clutch and stock assist spring sucked - removed assist spring which resulted in even stiffer clutch but more linear
3. 2015 Z51 Corvette - needs that extra engagement confirmation of 1st gear- shift throw distance sucks
4. 2012 Boss - really good - no real complaints other than less precise
5. 2000 SS - had to take it back to the dealer day 2 of new car ownership - synchros

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I'm on my second day after removing the helper spring completely and I'm even more in love with the car. My love affair with the car started with me not being very happy with the clutch feel. So I bought the steeda clutch spring in hopes i would be happier with the clutch feel. I was some what happier but not real happy. Yesterday I decided to remove the spring completely and I could not be happier. I can shift the car smoothly all day long. If you feel your clutch could be more linear you owe it to yourself to try this fix. You can put your car back to stock in minutes but I bet you won't. I'm loving it. I came out of a Corvette to the GT350. It's a great car. ZZCHOPPER
I've heard a lot of people removing their clutch spring. I personally think the clutch is fine. Then again, the only other car I've owned wad a 2012 Civic Si and that is my favorite transmission from other cars that I have drove.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
This clutch is great. Best hydraulic I've driven. All my sports cars have been manuals. The clutches in my past 3 Vettes absolutely sucked.

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I would prefer a much stiffer clutch pedal. Are there any potential problems, warranty or otherwise, going spring-less?
Do a search and you'll find that many have run without the spring. There are theories that without the spring there could potentially be long term effects on the master cylinder without the spring pressure to assure that the pedal is completely extended but so far it does not seem as if anyone has had problems. Perhaps not enough time or mileage has passed.

NAG_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350
The clutch is very good on these cars.
For the most driving I only clutch full going into 1st and 2nd. The other gears I only pressed the paddle may be half way.

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I just bought my '17 yesterday and also came from a corvette ('12 Grand Sport). Every car I've ever owned has been a manual VWs , Mustangs, Jeeps, Chevys, Porsches, pretty much all makes. I do not really like the way this clutch works at all. I may get used to it but it's so light that when I'm getting underway in 1st I cant even tell if its engaging. It's weird but sometimes it feels like my foot is slipping off the pedal even though its not and its so light that it feels like it's stuck to the floor.
I definitely need to make it stiffer and more linear. It's the first car since I was 15 years old that I feel in danger of stalling. Like I said, I may get used to it but may take out the spring just to see if it's more to my liking. I think I'm just used to more feedback. How hard is it to remove the spring? Otherwise I really love the car. Got it used with 2500 miles on it avalanche grey with blue stripes. Other than needing to get used to the clutch, its a great car. Oh, I also need to get used to revving over 5k. I'm so used to other v8s that when it hits 5k it sounds like its ready to shift :).

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I just bought my '17 yesterday and also came from a corvette ('12 Grand Sport). Every car I've ever owned has been a manual VWs , Mustangs, Jeeps, Chevys, Porsches, pretty much all makes. I do not really like the way this clutch works at all. I may get used to it but it's so light that when I'm getting underway in 1st I cant even tell if its engaging. It's weird but sometimes it feels like my foot is slipping off the pedal even though its not and its so light that it feels like it's stuck to the floor.
I definitely need to make it stiffer and more linear. It's the first car since I was 15 years old that I feel in danger of stalling. Like I said, I may get used to it but may take out the spring just to see if it's more to my liking. I think I'm just used to more feedback. How hard is it to remove the spring? Otherwise I really love the car. Got it used with 2500 miles on it avalanche grey with blue stripes. Other than needing to get used to the clutch, its a great car. Oh, I also need to get used to revving over 5k. I'm so used to other v8s that when it hits 5k it sounds like its ready to shift :).
Your experience reinforces that we all have different POV’s about the clutch feel. Mine also being a ‘17 I can say the spring is very easy to remove by hand. Believing the information that tools are used I got under there with a pair of vise grip pliers and could not make that work. Ended up merely grabbing ahold of the spring and pushing on it to compress and it came right out. Just as simple to re-install.

ZZCHOPPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I have to agree with all the positive sentiments of the clutch effort, transmission feel and overall greatness of these cars. I came out of Porsche 911's (964 and 993) and Honda's and Acura's before that, all cars that are known for having great gearboxes and this is as good or better than anything I have ever driven. With respect to clutch feel, though I am in the minority, I like the feel and progressiveness of the factory setup. I tried the Steeda spring after reading all the rave reviews and pulled it after two days as I did not like the feel at all. went back to stock and been happy for nearly three years. Have not tried it spring-less but have reservations of long term effects of running it without the spring.
A few questions? Are you driving a GT350? I'm not sure it the GT's have a different clutch feel. Can someone comment on that? What do you see as the down sides of running no clutch assist spring? I put my steeda spring back in the morning to see if there is a different amount of free play in the pedal when the clutch is all the way out. I see no difference at all. Took the steeda back out. I enjoy the car much more without the assist springs. That being said I do not want to hurt anything either. I'm a mechanical engineer but have to admit I have not looked into the mechanics of this clutch setup. I can't imagine the clutch assist spring having any impact on anything past the clutch pedal. Maybe there's something I don't understand. Really appreciate your comments. Based on my experience with the GT350 (the car I own only) it's hard for me to believe someone would be happy with the clutch feel. I disliked it that much. I'd be interested in what you think of the clutch feel without any assist spring. Thanks for you input. ZZCHOPPER

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting. The only cars I ever stalled out were my 2 C7's. The clutch sucked.

ZZCHOPPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
That's interesting. The only cars I ever stalled out were my 2 C7's. The clutch sucked.
Have you driven the car with no assist spring and is so how did you like it? The clutch feel was the only thing I did not like and with out the assist spring I love the car.
Your comments. ZZCHOPPER

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Have you driven the car with no assist spring and is so how did you like it? The clutch feel was the only thing I did not like and with out the assist spring I love the car.
Your comments. ZZCHOPPER
It's stock. Didn't feel the need to touch anything. Now if I could just do something about the hydraulic clutch in my Harley.......

ZZCHOPPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This clutch is great. Best hydraulic I've driven. All my sports cars have been manuals. The clutches in my past 3 Vettes absolutely sucked.
You have a 2019. I've heard that the the 2019 does not have an assist spring in the clutch pedal. Can you confirm this?
Thanks,
ZZCHOPPER

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Don't know. Haven't looked.
Maybe someone else can chime in.
Sponsored