Technical question about valve noise 2019 S550 PP2

Bombero2556

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
I took delivery of my 2019 Mustang GT PP2 on August 8, 2018. Last Fall I notice a rattling sound from the valve train at about 2,500 RPM. I brought it to my dealer and the replaced the timing chain guides. The noise persisted and so I brought it back to them. They had it a week and at the end of that time the service manager told me he could hear the noise but didn't know what it was. Two weeks ago I brought it back for a third time. This time they replaced the Cam Phasers. I picked up the car and not a quarter mile down the road the noise was back. Last week I brought that car to another dealer clear across the state. They had it for the week. They called me to tell me that everything that could be done about the noise had been done. So now the car sits in my driveway because I can't stand the noise. I'm at my wits end. I ordered the car just the way I wanted it and now It bothers me to drive the car. Is there anyone out there in Mustangland that might tell me what it may be. The car has 8,300 miles on the odometer and has never been abused or driven roughly.
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Turn up the radio and enjoy the car.

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Is this noise the same as the notorious "coyote tick"? or something different?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Video with sound?

EPTS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
2500rpm rattle.

My car has done it since 900 miles. Two other gen 3 coyotes my friends have also do it.

I’ve written it off as normal and so have a bunch of others.

I just turn the radio up or give it a little more load and I don’t hear it anymore.

My car recently started to do the typewriter tick after it’s latest oil change.

These engines are noisy MFers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bombero2556

Bombero2556

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
2500rpm rattle.

My car has done it since 900 miles. Two other gen 3 coyotes my friends have also do it.

I’ve written it off as normal and so have a bunch of others.

I just turn the radio up or give it a little more load and I don’t hear it anymore.

My car recently started to do the typewriter tick after it’s latest oil change.

These engines are noisy MFers.
I have tinnitus from my career in the fire service. A louder radio would make it worse.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
It's normal. My car (2018, built May 2018) has done it since new, now at 12,600 miles. It's under light throttle between about 2200-2800 rpm. More throttle or letting out of the throttle it stops. I've concluded it's the transition between port injection and direct injection. Only way to get rid of it is sell the car.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It's a sound similar to an engine knock.

Valve train has a distinctive tinny sound . whereas engine knock is deeper, and lower on the block

The more I read about this, the more I think it is in the valve train and nothing to worry about. For instance roller rockers @ idle. The rollers can be heard, some not all, same goes for HYD roller lifters. The lifters will sound lower in the motor where the cam lives. Rocker higher under the valve covers.

This motor has OHC cam, lifters up top under the valve cover. I for one suspect there is nothing to worry about. Mechanical things make mechanical sounds.

Drive it, do not like the sounds, sell it buy electric. I can hear my transition whine when loaded and pulling hard ............ music to my ears.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
at 2000-2500 rpm there should be ZERO slack or space causing the lifters or rockers to make the noise he describes,. a solid lifter yes, a Hydraulic NO.

Sponsored

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
My PP 2 has the 2000-2500 "typewriter" tick. Just a characteristic of the engine. I don't know the cause of the noise.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
The direct injection systems is likely the culprit.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I took delivery of my 2019 Mustang GT PP2 on August 8, 2018. Last Fall I notice a rattling sound from the valve train at about 2,500 RPM. I brought it to my dealer and the replaced the timing chain guides. The noise persisted and so I brought it back to them. They had it a week and at the end of that time the service manager told me he could hear the noise but didn't know what it was. Two weeks ago I brought it back for a third time. This time they replaced the Cam Phasers. I picked up the car and not a quarter mile down the road the noise was back. Last week I brought that car to another dealer clear across the state. They had it for the week. They called me to tell me that everything that could be done about the noise had been done. So now the car sits in my driveway because I can't stand the noise. I'm at my wits end. I ordered the car just the way I wanted it and now It bothers me to drive the car. Is there anyone out there in Mustangland that might tell me what it may be. The car has 8,300 miles on the odometer and has never been abused or driven roughly.
Let me guess, it’s worse cold, right?

Sounds like the infamous 2k rattle. No one has figured it out yet. Mine has it, but it’s pretty subtle so it’s easy for me to ignore, drown out, but if yours is loud, I can see where that would just be utterly annoying. Search 2k rattle, a few vids there to confirm the sound, but what you’re describing really sounds like it. My personal guess is that it’s the tranny.
Sponsored