Sponsored

What else do I need before I buy a PD tune?

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I will be installing my inter cooler and piping with HKS valve today. I also have a mishimoto dp and mbrp race exhaust . Do I need anything else before I buy a PD tune? I appreciate any help!
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
1 step colder spark plugs by NGK
Catch can.

I did a wastegate but you don't have to. However I think it's worth it.

You can get all of the above from tune+. That's what I did. If you go with their upr catch can then you should get the radium baffle. I wish I would have, would have made things slightly easier. It's not a requirement but it won't hurt either.

Plugs and catch can are the biggie's. I just did my v1 tune from Ryan at PD and WOW, it's totally mental the difference it makes. Your gonna love it. I can't wait to see how the final revision is.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
1 step colder spark plugs by NGK
Catch can.

I did a wastegate but you don't have to. However I think it's worth it.

You can get all of the above from tune+. That's what I did. If you go with their upr catch can then you should get the radium baffle. I wish I would have, would have made things slightly easier. It's not a requirement but it won't hurt either.

Plugs and catch can are the biggie's. I just did my v1 tune from Ryan at PD and WOW, it's totally mental the difference it makes. Your gonna love it. I can't wait to see how the final revision is.
So I guess Ill buy the spark plugs today as well then and Ive heard mixed reviews on a catch can as I saw another guys thread where he did 30,000 miles and only had a drop in there. Also what does a waste gate do?

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So I guess Ill buy the spark plugs today as well then and Ive heard mixed reviews on a catch can as I saw another guys thread where he did 30,000 miles and only had a drop in there. Also what does a waste gate do?
If your gonna tune it get a catch can. Better to be safe than sorry. At least that's what I think

Regarding the wastegate, i believe it allows the turbo to hold boost better, prevent overboosting and quicker spooling. Also a smidge better and louder turbo noises

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
If your gonna tune it get a catch can. Better to be safe than sorry. At least that's what I think

Regarding the wastegate, i believe it allows the turbo to hold boost better, prevent overboosting and quicker spooling. Also a smidge better and louder turbo noises
Holding boost better sounds good in my book lol and yeah Ive read up on catch cans and its definitely a pay for it now or later type of deal. Thanks for the help! Im pretty hyped to see the change a tune makes to a car :crazy:

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Holding boost better sounds good in my book lol and yeah Ive read up on catch cans and its definitely a pay for it now or later type of deal. Thanks for the help! Im pretty hyped to see the change a tune makes to a car :crazy:
No worries dude. Your gonna love it.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
heard mixed reviews on a catch can as I saw another guys thread where he did 30,000 miles and only had a drop in there.

That guy is an idiot.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
heard mixed reviews on a catch can as I saw another guys thread where he did 30,000 miles and only had a drop in there.

That guy is an idiot.
So you are saying a catch can is a must for a tuned car then?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
So you are saying a catch can is a must for a tuned car then?

Absolutely, they are a proven must have for any car driven hard, tuned, etc. boosted or N/A. I do not sell catchcans and am not involved in manufacturing in any way. But I’ve been doing MotorSports, engine building and tuning for 30+ years and a catchcan is always a good thing.
Sponsored