Sponsored

What can I use to quiet exhaust parts that vibrate on other metal parts?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! I have a Frankenstein exhaust that I needed to get welded together, and while it sounds awesome, due to the way the parts were welded, I have a part that is vibrating against another piece of metal. I am running the Ford Performance side exit exhaust with a Magnaflow Tru-X cut and welded directly behind the crossover of the side exit X pipe. Due to the way the thing was welded together, it is SLIGHTLY angled to the left, which causes the side exit tip to come in contact with the metal of the underside of the car there. I can occasionally hear it vibrating when the windows are up. All I need is something that I can basically wedge in-between the two parts or attach to the tips or underside of the car there to keep them from vibrating against each other. Does anyone know of something like this? I was thinking like a piece of rubber or something that can withstand the temps from the side exhaust tips. The part of the car that it is touching could be covered by slicing a line in a small diameter tube and sliding it over (like an edge trim piece)--or something similar to that. Anyone ever have to use something like this? Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

Dru

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dru
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT 5sp ...2020 GT 6sp
Just weld it to the part that its vibrating against.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Take a hammer and dimple the exhaust where it hits. Any touching at all is likely making the knock sensors pull timing.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Probably best to try and fix it to get the clearance you need, or put a small dimple in the exhaust for that extra room. You could try fiberglass exhaust wrap, but anything you sand which between the two parts will likely get worn through eventually from the vibrations.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
To clearance it properly, take it apart and redo it. That's what i would do.