Sponsored

Do it yourself muffler delete with a muffler!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Do it yourself muffler delete with utilizing the stock muffler! Will update as I go along. Basically I thought to myself, why buy muffler deletes for $200-$300 USD when I could do it myself! Also, when the po-po looks, all they'll see is stock muffler, and won't be able to see the tig weld cause I cut the top.. hehe. Couldn't resist starting it up with the factory headers, cats, & H-pipe after I cut the mufflers off. OMFG loud lol.

What's inside you ask?
c_oc=AQlcYpBHiorPYOKEDTZJjEkGlaEvPeFSC-LMk6O3A1cPlkc01caY1WLcyu24OOolw3k&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.jpg

Here's the 5 lbs of garbage in the stock muffler
c_oc=AQn8Z9RK2z0lxQEjHcSASW5_Ql2sBeQglXOxXEO1wGxRuzKSCBMkak9d0djJPPvwG1g&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.jpg

Here it is gutted. Substantially lighter now. I used a chisel to break the spot welds. Worked well.
c_oc=AQlSOzviDZYPWJoymFgn_lRSjbr6maxa0Uf6DdOZtGbCSSkK-PSzNNUJHcGpxMQSmsM&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-2.jpg

The cut lines. I used a 4" cutoff wheel on a skillz grinder.
c_oc=AQmXQKFBGIjMWFFNZZ6vQeudWH0CUwN-f20gl2LLg_NnhyTeybW0dNe1zwhGELuAsYc&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.jpg

So far the cost is $0.00. Off to the parts store for exhaust piping to connect the inlet to the outlet. Hope there's interest in this little DIY! To be continued!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Nice I love this type of stuff

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Gutting the P-side muffler was a bit more tuff. Spot welds were 'spot on' the day it was assembled lol. But got er done.

Q's: Do you guys think I should leave it as one large single chamber muffler? Or continue on with attaching exhaust piping on the inside?

Last edited:
OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Open chamber.. imo
Hello thanks for your feedback! I noticed that a lot of 'single' chamber mufflers ( like the flowmaster super 10 ) use 'v' inside to change the direction of the exhaust flow. Do you know the purpose of this? Is it to stop the pressure wave from bouncing back and forth? Thanks.

Sponsored

Stone pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT/CS
Hello thanks for your feedback! I noticed that a lot of 'single' chamber mufflers ( like the flowmaster super 10 ) use 'v' inside to change the direction of the exhaust flow. Do you know the purpose of this? Is it to stop the pressure wave from bouncing back and forth? Thanks.
From the technical side, no..my reply was based on the keep it simple for your inexpensive do it yourself mod. However the slight off set of the inlet outlet should create a swirl of the exhaust. Maybe someone with the true technical knowledge will chime in. However sound clip when your finished is required...

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe someone with the true technical knowledge will chime in. However sound clip when your finished is required...
Meh screw it, I'll just add the piping it's like 15 bucks. Sound clip for sure!

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So ended up with this configuration (2.5" slip over). Total cost so far $16.99 CAD for both. Gonna tack weld the nuts so they don't back off, and the clamp to the muffler in a couple spots so the old shebang will be solid. Everything clears the top.
c_oc=AQmvXUuN8uCqCrTT-ZVGalvX5QC0am95lQx16P6oPf52bhNfQGYqW8M-Obf6FgIYnJ8&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.jpg

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
May drone … I'd test it before welding it back shut again. At the worse with the flap off. At best, tape it on to get a true representation before you weld 'er shut for good.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
you probably don't even need to reweld the top back on

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
you probably don't even need to reweld the top back on
Yeah nah. DOn't need a couple sandboxes. Unless you mean fasten it some other way?

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Love the DIY...love to hear some sound clips when they are back on
Clips for sure. It will be louder than the Corsa Touring Axle-Back @ $1,233.99, and I'm guessing as loud as the Borla ATAK 2.5 Inch Axle-Back @ $819.99 & Roush @ $750.00 (I just can't bring myself to drop that kinda coin on a axleback). Gonna rustproof the entire interior as well. Should be less than $50 bucks total all in! Maybe under $150 if you need a competent welder to weld them. Still cheap. Total weight loss per muffler (after installing new piping/clamps is 4.5 lbs per muffler). Plus it looks 100% stock. More to come!

Stone pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT/CS
It would have been interesting to hear the difference between open chamber and the follow through piping you decided on. I'm sure both ...loud.. ..yes. but possibly open chamber having a deeper drum like tone?
Sponsored