Sponsored

JRZ RS2 Install - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.......and finished with all good.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Nice writeup @db252

Glad I could help out on the swaybar endlink side of things. Be sure to get them rebuilt every so often. Mine are starting to feel a little groaty.

On a side note, it is interesting to see how your rear shocks have an adjustment at the top of the shock mount. My shock mount is totally different, but the compression adjuster is on the remote canister and the rebound is at the bottom of the shock.
IMG_20170111_191213.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
@CrazedAntelope thanks for the words and your help and info offered great insight and I appreciate it as you know.

Seeing these pics of yours in regards to the rear, your setup is an inverted rear shock where mine is not so maybe that makes sense on your compression/rebound locations as it kinda works out the same not including the remote reservoir. Interesting for sure but make sense? I also have no collar on the rear shock body as in your pic.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It is interesting that the big shock guys JRZ, MCS, JRi, Penske all seem to run considerably higher rates than all the rest? It makes me feel better about The MCS rates which I am installing Tomorrow.
Some guys in that are racing Mustangs for a leaving says that 500/600 front spring rate is needed to make the car actually rotate proparly which is why the racing coilover brands like the one in your list put this rates. What MCS rates you are getting and could you give an install info as well. I'm currently debating between JRZ Touring (though I read some things about the rebuilds that are every 20 000 km), MCS (but they are full coilover in the back and this lead to problems with halfhafts) and Ohlins (normal divorsed spring design and easy to source in Europe). But overall you need at least 500 front if you are racing the car.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice writeup @db252

Glad I could help out on the swaybar endlink side of things. Be sure to get them rebuilt every so often. Mine are starting to feel a little groaty.
According to JRZ documentation rebuild is needed every 20 000 km how much you have on yours ?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
According to JRZ documentation rebuild is needed every 20 000 km how much you have on yours ?
that is typical of high performance shocks. You don't have to rebuild that often if all you're doing is street driving though. 25k is acceptable but I wouldn't push beyond 30k or 2 years whichever comes first. Why are you spending money on good stuff if you're not going to take care of it?

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
that is typical of high performance shocks. You don't have to rebuild that often if all you're doing is street driving though. 25k is acceptable but I wouldn't push beyond 30k or 2 years whichever comes first. Why are you spending money on good stuff if you're not going to take care of it?
I'm in Europe so really hard to do all of this every 2 years. Overall I think will go with Ohlins but we will see.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
any competent suspension shop can rebuild the shocks. ask JRZ for their rebuild kit. Your Ohlins shop can do the work.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Some guys in that are racing Mustangs for a leaving says that 500/600 front spring rate is needed to make the car actually rotate proparly which is why the racing coilover brands like the one in your list put this rates. What MCS rates you are getting and could you give an install info as well. I'm currently debating between JRZ Touring (though I read some things about the rebuilds that are every 20 000 km), MCS (but they are full coilover in the back and this lead to problems with halfhafts) and Ohlins (normal divorsed spring design and easy to source in Europe). But overall you need at least 500 front if you are racing the car.
I went with MCS because the owner is Lex Carson from Moton. He was the guy who did all the heavy lifting at moton. I love my motons on my other car. MCS is also trying to build the brand so cheaper than penske, jrz or whoever JRi is. I went with the Vorschlag GTS rates so in the middle. Best thing about real CO's is you can change springs all you want. Vorschlag says the curves fro the shocks do not change for their range of rates. But the other great thing about MCS is I can weigh everything, do the math, and take my impressions of these rates and just revalve the shocks which we racers do on a regular basis. The rear divorced PP1 spring is a real pain to remove. I can't imagine trying to change springs to get what I want and or course you have to get adjustable perches so you can balance the car. Then those divorced springs are not easy off the shelf purchase but the standard 60mm 2.25" springs you might just find right in the paddock. All the real CO shocks in the rear have offset mounts to deal with the CV boot. An then there is the one internal CV boot that gives miles of clearance but those axles are expensive like $1500 bucks! If we could source that axle boot system we could really be in business. I saw these boots somewhere but I can't remember who makes these axles? Anyone know????

20200311_205330.jpg

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
any competent suspension shop can rebuild the shocks. ask JRZ for their rebuild kit. Your Ohlins shop can do the work.
Many of us racers use performance shock inc, in sonoma california. Those guys are awesome.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went with MCS because the owner is Lex Carson from Moton. He was the guy who did all the heavy lifting at moton. I love my motons on my other car. MCS is also trying to build the brand so cheaper than penske, jrz or whoever JRi is. I went with the Vorschlag GTS rates so in the middle. Best thing about real CO's is you can change springs all you want. Vorschlag says the curves fro the shocks do not change for their range of rates. But the other great thing about MCS is I can weigh everything, do the math, and take my impressions of these rates and just revalve the shocks which we racers do on a regular basis. The rear divorced PP1 spring is a real pain to remove. I can't imagine trying to change springs to get what I want and or course you have to get adjustable perches so you can balance the car. Then those divorced springs are not easy off the shelf purchase but the standard 60mm 2.25" springs you might just find right in the paddock. All the real CO shocks in the rear have offset mounts to deal with the CV boot. An then there is the one internal CV boot that gives miles of clearance but those axles are expensive like $1500 bucks! If we could source that axle boot system we could really be in business. I saw these boots somewhere but I can't remember who makes these axles? Anyone know????

20200311_205330.jpg
I like MCS but real coilovers scares me also from vorschlang site:

The Ohlins kit uses a coilover spring and ride height adapter that places the spring in the "divorced" stock location.

So this solves the problem with the springs I guess.

Overall at the moment I'm looking into JRZ Тоuring, MCS TT1 or Ohlins as well as KW v3 all of them are in a similar price range around 2800$ as I'm not sure I want to spend more than that.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I like MCS but real coilovers scares me also from vorschlang site:

The Ohlins kit uses a coilover spring and ride height adapter that places the spring in the "divorced" stock location.

So this solves the problem with the springs I guess.

Overall at the moment I'm looking into JRZ Тоuring, MCS TT1 or Ohlins as well as KW v3 all of them are in a similar price range around 2800$ as I'm not sure I want to spend more than that.
Divorced spring is a pain to change and source if you are a spring changer. Also remember there is a motion ratio so 400 at the shock is something like 800 divorced. I forget what it is exactly.

Another thing to consider is heat buildup in shocks change the performance to the negative. That's why remote reservoirs are good. If doing long races I want reservoirs. Sprint races I'm ok without. Looking at spec miata's change to penskes the big deal was the penske was consistent over the whole race distance. When you feel a car going away as the race develops often its tires or shocks.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Divorced spring is a pain to change and source if you are a spring changer. Also remember there is a motion ratio so 400 at the shock is something like 800 divorced. I forget what it is exactly.

Another thing to consider is heat buildup in shocks change the performance to the negative. That's why remote reservoirs are good. If doing long races I want reservoirs. Sprint races I'm ok without. Looking at spec miata's change to penskes the big deal was the penske was consistent over the whole race distance. When you feel a car going away as the race develops often its tires or shocks.
I'm only doing Time Attack and HPDE though. Don't plan to do real races with the car.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
That gives you more latitude
Sponsored