MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
BTW please put “3.7” badges on your cars so we know who the enthusiasts are. The S197 crowd seemed to do that a lot.
One of the first things I did.
IMG_115235_1280x720.jpg
Sponsored

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
I'm a V8 guy so take it with a grain of salt but I think splurging for coyote is worth it. The coyote it one of the best motors put out in the last 10 years. The fuel economy really isn't a huge player here. You can get near 30mpg with the v8 on the highway and run 87 octane if you want. The motor was designed to run 87 as it also goes in the f150 and you lose maybe 5% power or so from the octance drop the engine just pulls alot of timing out of it to compensate for the octane the drop. The V6 is a great motor but with a tune is a whole lot better. It feels extremely weak off the line and seems to be lazy as others have stated. With all that said go drive one for yourself. Go drive all 3 (Ecoboost,Cyclone and Coyote) and decide which is right for you. In the end its your car and other people aren't paying your car bills so who cares what they think if you enjoy your car.

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The fuel economy really isn't a huge player here. You can get near 30mpg with the v8 on the highway and run 87 octane if you want.
What 5.0 are you driving? I get 25 mpg on flat freeways. Add hills and I call BS. I have the manual and performance pack but still.

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
31MPG from Abilene to Antonio in my old 14 Manual even after a tune 75Mph the whole way a couple hills. 2016 computer says 29 mpg on road trips but hand calc is actually 28.3mpg car is auto.

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I'm a V8 guy so take it with a grain of salt but I think splurging for coyote is worth it. The coyote it one of the best motors put out in the last 10 years. The fuel economy really isn't a huge player here. You can get near 30mpg with the v8 on the highway and run 87 octane if you want. The motor was designed to run 87 as it also goes in the f150 and you lose maybe 5% power or so from the octance drop the engine just pulls alot of timing out of it to compensate for the octane the drop. The V6 is a great motor but with a tune is a whole lot better. It feels extremely weak off the line and seems to be lazy as others have stated. With all that said go drive one for yourself. Go drive all 3 (Ecoboost,Cyclone and Coyote) and decide which is right for you. In the end its your car and other people aren't paying your car bills so who cares what they think if you enjoy your car.
I think one of the special things about the s550 cyclone is that, for the price of some much, much lesser cars like a Civic SI or Veloster turbo you get an awesome looking pony car which handles well, sounds great, and could blow those cars into the weeds (about as fast as the old 300zx twin-turbo, which I used to drool over). It’s a rev happy engine rather than a torque monster, but some people like that. Also cheap to insure. It’s really a great car...that’s why I like seeing the “3.7” badges.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I cruise with guys in a local s550 group and it's basically all GTs. Sometimes one other V6 and maybe an Ecoboost. I am definitely envious of the V8 sound. That is what will likely get me to trade up to a GT instead of trying to boost the V6. Love my car, though. A used V6 has been a whole lot of fun at a bargain basement price.

I like driving on twisty roads, and that's where I feel like I'm not giving up anything to the GTs. The new high performance Ecoboost with the handling package is intriguing. I suspect I would love how that car drives in the twisties, but I'm not willing to put up with the sound.
Sponsored