12 Ga Shells...Which Ones??

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OK, I know if 10 people respond to this thread, I'll have 15 different recommendations...LOL...but here goes...

Not new to guns at all, nor to shooting...but I just got my first shotgun. Good old standard Remington 870 Tactical. Right now, it's got a 18 1/2" barrel, but I am picking up a longer barrel (~24" +) for clays since it's such an easy platform to swap barrels on. So...three questions I guess...

> Recommended shell for "home defense" (not trying to start a "which gun is best for home defense" thread, but I don't believe in an empty gun sitting in the house, thus what would you keep in it?)

> Recommended shell for shooting paper, pumpkins, and cans

> Recommended shell for clays with the longer barrel swapped in

> Thanks guys!
Sponsored

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Disclaimer: I have been shooting competitive Sporting Clays (NSCA & FITASC) , Skeet (NSSA) since 1996 and have been a certified referee in NSCA and NSSA since 1997.

First of all, a Rem870 is a pump which is nearly impossible to shoot clays with due to each station you will be presented with multiple sets of "pairs" and you will not be able to cycle the shells fast enough, many have tried and failed.
you need either an over/under or semi-auto shotgun if you want to shoot sporting clays, skeet and/or trap
if you like Remington, find an 1100 or 11-87 for a couple hundred bucks (and a pack of o-rings for the chamber as you'll need to replace them every 100-150 shots, trust me...lol)
if you want a real competition gun, go with either a Beretta A390, AL390, AL391 of X400 (or its twin, Benelli) either will set you back several thousand bucks.
the Beretta/Benelli's have almost no kick whatsoever due to their designs)
most Semi autos will have issues ejecting sheels i you you too light of a load (something like 2 3/4 drams or less)
Also, barrel length for sporting clays will normally be 28" (30" & 32" are becoming more common and 24" and shorter will not be allowed on any sporting clays/skeet course)
for sporting clays you 'll be running 12ga 2.75" (3.00" are not allowed) usually 1 1/8 oz of shot and about 3 1/4 drams.
(unless you want to play in the sub gauge classes, then you'll go 20ga)
as for ammunition, no course will allow any shot size larger than 7.5 (due to range) and no smaller than 9 PERIOD.
(tip:for Sporting Clays 7.5 for "rabbits" and farther away shots, 8 and 8.5 for closer in shots & Skeet, 9 is almost worthless)
I've have always had good luck with Winchester AA Super Sport, Remington Nitro 87, and any of the Fiocchi brand.

Once you get into shooting alot, it is way cheaper to reload your own shells
typical tournament weekend I would go thru around 500-700 rounds, (State tournaments would easily got thru 1000+ rounds over 3 days)

I would keep your 870 for home protection and destroying pumpkins, it's perfect for that... but for Clays, get a different gun.

My go-to gun is a 1997 Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard (it has only caught/jammed (1) shell in almost 20 years of use...)

as for you "Home Defense" question, I prefer Remington Golden Sabre 9mm 124grain +P, Brass Jacket Hollow Point.
and for your paper targets, any good ole dirty and cheap Federal work just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh wow @DavisCustoms ...that was A LOT of info bro, LOL. A LOT of great info, but maybe I should have specified a few other things. My skeet shooting will consist of one at a time in some rednecks back yard being slung from a home made slinging machine thingie, hahahhahah! Maybe at a range, but only for fun. I know the right equipment makes for a more enjoyable experience overall, but Clay isn’t necessarily my jam and sinking a bunch of money into shotguns and competitive shooting just isn’t my thing...yet. But I am grateful for all the great info.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
gotcha, if you have any other questions, just shoot me a message (pun intended...lol)

talk about sinking money into shotguns.... theres a bunch of people (not me...) that spend upwards of $40K on custom shotguns...it's insane (just to be beat by some teenager with a Beretta AL390...)

Last edited:

Brandon_SVT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red Mustang GT Premium PP1
i can definitely recommend some shells you can have fun with, i wouldn't suggest shooting clay or home defense with them but check out" dragons breath" shotgun rounds.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you want to dislocate your shoulder, I like Winchester 2 3/4” slugs.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
If you want to dislocate your shoulder, I like Winchester 2 3/4” slugs.
Be very careful as to what is down range when using slugs as they will travel significantly farther than normal shot.
heavy loaded shot shells (for long bird comps) will only reach about 75 yards, where as an off the shelf slug can reach upwards of 350 yards or more.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Be very careful as to what is down range when using slugs as they will travel significantly farther than normal shot.
heavy loaded shot shells (for long bird comps) will only reach about 75 yards, where as an off the shelf slug can reach upwards of 350 yards or more.
Yes, definitely. I’ve only used the slugs in an indoor range.

Good advice.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I ended up getting some 00, some #8, and some #2. A good variety to play around with and see what does what.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.