Sponsored

2020 New Voodoo Big Booboo- Engine Replacement Experience

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Once the engine shows up it only takes 1 day to pull the old one and replace it with the new one ..... if the tech knows what he is doing.
Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
why are you taking a replacement engine on a brand new 2020 gt350R with a badge that has who made the engine on the original engine connected with the chassis and vin. The new engine won't have the badge and the old badge from the old engine will be swapped over to the new engine that will not match the car. At that point the resale and the collectibility if you care about that is gone. You should be given a new car its waaaaay too new and I would never accept a new engine in a car newer than a week since delivery or whatever it was. I saw someone reference 1960/70's collectible models in regards to blown engines that were replaced. If you plan on keeping this car for 50 years great. otherwise it's irrelevant. The "rarity" of a color shouldn't be a reason to keep the car. Sorry not trying to be a jerk I just feel its a terrible move. Especially with a Shelby.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
At that point the resale and the collectibility if you care about that is gone.
he wants a car that he can drive soonest, and isn't deluded into thinking a 5000 units/year vehicle is in any way remotely collectible.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Like I said, if you want value 5 years from now...take your cash and buy stocks while the market is down, and don’t worry about a car with a factory replaced engine. It’s a great time to buy Apple, Google and staples too...things that will be here 5 years from now...five years from now you’d be lucky to have your Shelby be worth more than you paid for it. They made them for 5 years now.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, if you want value 5 years from now...take your cash and buy stocks while the market is down, and don’t worry about a car with a factory replaced engine. It’s a great time to buy Apple, Google and staples too...things that will be here 5 years from now...five years from now you’d be lucky to have your Shelby be worth more than you paid for it. They made them for 5 years now.
Forget “collectibility”. It was just a point. The other point is you’re paying a premium on a car really for the name. Let’s be honest. A Shelby is worth a little more because it’s a Shelby. It has a motor that’s special. Hand made. It’s labeled. There’s a chassis plaque in the car. It’s semi limited. Doing an engine replacement on a car like that is not something that ford should be allowed to do. Make them lemon the car out and replace it. Period.

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
he wants a car that he can drive soonest, and isn't deluded into thinking a 5000 units/year vehicle is in any way remotely collectible.
I don’t think you should agree to that with any car that new. You can get another R any where. Ok big deal it won’t be like green but you know what. It won’t be a lemon either. And that to me means everything. I don’t care if the car is $5k but definitely not $70k.

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
^ LOL, guys you must be reading my mind and writing down the arguments I have with myself!

Looking forward to an update today. I expect at this point I should get an idea of the timeline.

12 Days so far....

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Hope is turns out well.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I was talking to a guy last week who drives a Porsche 911. He told me the reason he has a 911 is that he bought a brand new Cayman GTS and driving it home from the dealership it crapped its engine with 24 miles on the odo. He called the dealership and they immediately offered to allow him to reject the vehicle and gave him a full refund on the Cayman. They also offered him one of their 911 allocations to keep him as a customer. But that's Porsche, and that particular Porsche dealer.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I was talking to a guy last week who drives a Porsche 911. He told me the reason he has a 911 is that he bought a brand new Cayman GTS and driving it home from the dealership it crapped its engine with 24 miles on the odo. He called the dealership and they immediately offered to allow him to reject the vehicle and gave him a full refund on the Cayman. They also offered him one of their 911 allocations to keep him as a customer. But that's Porsche, and that particular Porsche dealer.
Some parts in GT350 made in China, like some electronic modules. We still don't know what causing engine failures in many cases(why spark plugs burned of failed cylinders for example). Porsche parts are made in Germany or inside European Union. It's not a secret that it makes a big difference in QC of any products made in China. Also GT350 is a half of a price for 911. That being said, I'm not suggesting that Ford shouldn't improve on the build quality of they vehicles. IMO, Shelby GT350/R with the tag price of $65-75K need a lot of improvements in general.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
If it stays this way, from what I have gathered from the Cobra Jet thread on Lemon Laws and Ford buy backs, you might be able to order a new car if your exact spec is not available.
This is what I did with my regular GT. I had originally ordered it and it came with paint issues and Ford bought it back. I asked them to re-make me the replacement vs. finding one on a lot and they did that. I hope they take care of all their customers that way.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Interesting. What would be signs of abuse only apparent after removing the oil pan?
I have no idea, neither did the Service Advisor. I was surprised since the new motor was already sitting at the dealership when Ford asked the dealer to pull the pan.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Let's see how this shakes out. If they replace the car, I don't think anyone is going to reimburse for the PPF/Ceramic.
If they do not offer a buy back and the engine replacement is solid with no further issues, then I would keep the car and move on.
The Title will still be clean, but the engine will be a mismatch.
If the car continues to have issues after engine replacement his leverage for buy back increases.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I did with my regular GT. I had originally ordered it and it came with paint issues and Ford bought it back. I asked them to re-make me the replacement vs. finding one on a lot and they did that. I hope they take care of all their customers that way.
I've seen buybacks with factory paint issues.. if it's caught right away they often don't want to have dealerships try to "fix" factory paint defects that are significant. When I was shopping for the 350 I came across a buy back that was supposedly due to factory stripe issues.... not sure If I believed them, but that's what they said.

OP
OP
Montoya

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hope is turns out well.
Thanks- I’m sure it will be fine

Some parts in GT350 made in China, like some electronic modules. We still don't know what causing engine failures in many cases(why spark plugs burned of failed cylinders for example). Porsche parts are made in Germany or inside European Union. It's not a secret that it makes a big difference in QC of any products made in China. Also GT350 is a half of a price for 911. That being said, I'm not suggesting that Ford shouldn't improve on the build quality of they vehicles. IMO, Shelby GT350/R with the tag price of $65-75K need a lot of improvements in general.
Nobody is perfect, including Porsche. I have owned three GT3’s and currently have a 2018. My 2010 had several items that were not track worthy, while my 2015 had the motor issues (not mine, sold it before any problems) and I currently own a 2018 that is trouble free. Three generations to get a ‘perfect’ one, LOL. I also owned a 2002 M3 that had two bottom end recalls. So I guess I’m experienced with this sort of thing.

I’m still waiting for some definitive answer on how my case would be handled if I push for replacement. Good to know your experience.

Let's see how this shakes out. If they replace the car, I don't think anyone is going to reimburse for the PPF/Ceramic.
If they do not offer a buy back and the engine replacement is solid with no further issues, then I would keep the car and move on.
The Title will still be clean, but the engine will be a mismatch.
If the car continues to have issues after engine replacement his leverage for buy back increases.
Agreed

I've seen buybacks with factory paint issues.. if it's caught right away they often don't want to have dealerships try to "fix" factory paint defects that are significant. When I was shopping for the 350 I came across a buy back that was supposedly due to factory stripe issues.... not sure If I believed them, but that's what they said.
Interesting.

Update:

Dealer is requesting a short block and new head to repair the motor but doesn’t expect Ford will agree. Expects a new motor assembly in which case he will request a signed build, which is nice. He also said that opening a case with Ford customer care is helping to expedite the repair. I’ve also asked to check the transmission plate for the ‘rubberized’ part and gave him the part no. for the new one in case it isn’t. Finally at reassembly they will install the adjustable strut mounts that are in my trunk. As far as timeline I’m still waiting on final Ford direction and parts.

13 days so far...
Sponsored