Sponsored

The Ford Performance side exit exhaust sounds amazing with headers!

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! In my quest to get the perfect exhaust for me, I've gone through quite a few setups. My car is a weekend car that does the occasional HPDE (2015 GT PP). I wanted a setup that sounded great but wouldn't be too loud for tracks that may have a noise ordinance. Originally I had a Borla S-type on it, which sounded great. I added Kooks "green" catted headers, and it sounded even better but it was likely too loud for the track (I measured over 100 dB INSIDE the car at WOT with the windows down). I then swapped the Borla X-pipe for the Magnaflow "tru X" resonator in hopes that it would quiet it down a bit but keep the character of the X pipe. The volume was good after this, but it took all the character out of the exhaust. Overall, I was pretty disappointed in the sound. I decided to get the Ford Performance side exit exhaust and slot it in front of the Magnaflow resonator in hopes that it would keep the character and tone of the X-pipe but also be able to be toned down for track days by putting in solid baffles in the side exits. I mocked everything up in the garage and fired it up, and it sounded fantastic! Unfortunately, because I had to cut the x-pipe and the resonator to slot them both in, the whole setup sagged because of the weight of the resonator and the cheap Chinese band clamps I got from Amazon. I took it to an exhaust shop today to get everything welded in place, and although some of the welds are spotty at best, the whole thing is setup and sounds AMAZING!

I don't see too many people running the FP side exit exhaust, which is understandable because it's nearly a grand for what amounts to be a mid-pipe, but man does this thing sound great! I'll try to get some good sound clips, but nothing I've seen online can seem to capture the sound of this thing. I think the fact that it's so much closer to your ears make a lot of difference in how good it sounds. I'm 100% satisfied with my current set up finally, and I like that the side exits have removable baffles that allow me to change the volume and the sound for the street and the track. If anyone is on the fence about it, I'd highly recommend it!
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Yeah, I can almost here it...if only there was a sound clip, lol

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Haha! I'll try to have my wife take a couple videos and I'll post them up. Bear with me for a day or two!

Sponsored

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I want that mid pipe but just can't see myself paying that much for it. I have heard it with Roush axle backs & wow. Lol

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have Kooks catless longtubes with the Ford Racing Extreme catback and swapped in the Magnaflow Tru-X and it lost all of its soul. You cannot tell I have no cats, even when I go WOT. I'm getting older but not that old! I got to put the Ford Racing resonator back in but now I'm too lazy to get back under the car. HA.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
For some reason, videos just don't do this exhaust ANY justice whatsoever. I think part of it is that it's so much closer to your ears than a standard exhaust so you're able to hear a lot of little details. The thing sounds amazing even at low RPMs and light (or no) throttle. So much of this just isn't able to be captured by video, apparently. I tried to get a quick video of normal driving with my phone inside the car with the windows down so you could get a gist of how it sounds. Pardon the vertical filming--I was by myself in the car and trying to drive at the same time, and the car is a manual. Also, the squeaking is from the bus, not my brakes. I'd like to try to get my wife to get some drive by videos with the good camera, so hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I also took a quick video (again with my phone, sorry) of the idle and a couple quick revs to only about 2K RPMs so you can try to hear the subtle sounds it makes. I should've done this in the driveway where there wasn't traffic going by, but it's too late now. Again, the videos just don't do it justice...

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
That sounds really good! Pretty loud though. I've listened to probably 100 exhaust sound clips of S550s

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That sounds really good! Pretty loud though. I've listened to probably 100 exhaust sound clips of S550s
Thanks! Like I said, it's really hard to capture the sound with a crummy phone video. Regarding the volume, I'd say on cold start it's similar to when I had headers and a catback. During normal driving, I would say it's probably a little quieter, but because the sound is so much closer to you, it still sounds pretty loud. I'm currently running 1/2" baffles in the side pipes, so I can always go down to the 1/4" that came with them if I want it a little quieter for the street. I also bought a set of fully closed baffles for when I run at a track with noise restrictions. The Magnaflow Tru-X resonator does a great job at quieting down the rest of the exhaust.
Sponsored