Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
VMP breakaway harness and moved the IAT sensor to the manifold.
I thought the iat sensor was integrated into the maf... I need to do my research haha.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As long as you don't cause any quenching by spraying too much water you'll be fine. Remember when it rains you get water in the intake and subsequently some of that water finds its way to the combustion chamber. No worries there. I agree with @SolarFlare, spray meth too. That way you get the benefits of octane boost and cooling.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
If you're using it for just cooling and not added octane or tuning for it, there's virtually no risk as your motor is not relying on it. If you're not spraying a massive amount (which you wont be since you are only using it for cooling), STFT will pull fueling accordingly to keep AFR correct.

I would still suggest 50/50 or at least 70/30 washer fluid as the water isnt the only thing that does cooling. Methanol does a HUGE amount of cooling. Drag cars that use meth as their main fuel have the whole intake ice up. In my experience even just spraying test pressure on my car i can feel the whole intake pipe get cold after a few seconds of spraying.

I would suggest spraying after the intercooler as far from the TB as possible to allow it to mix with and cool the air the best. As mentioned you can use the VMP IAT harness and install an IAT sensor after the meth to read after-meth air temps rather than use the MAF for IAT. Check post #131 on page 9 of my build log you can see how i set it all up on my Procharged car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
If you're using it for just cooling and not added octane or tuning for it, there's virtually no risk as your motor is not relying on it. If you're not spraying a massive amount (which you wont be since you are only using it for cooling), STFT will pull fueling accordingly to keep AFR correct.

I would still suggest 50/50 or at least 70/30 washer fluid as the water isnt the only thing that does cooling. Methanol does a HUGE amount of cooling. Drag cars that use meth as their main fuel have the whole intake ice up. In my experience even just spraying test pressure on my car i can feel the whole intake pipe get cold after a few seconds of spraying.

I would suggest spraying after the intercooler as far from the TB as possible to allow it to mix with and cool the air the best. As mentioned you can use the VMP IAT harness and install an IAT sensor after the meth to read after-meth air temps rather than use the MAF for IAT. Check post #131 on page 9 of my build log you can see how i set it all up on my Procharged car.
I’ve read your build thread.. it’s great! I understand the stft should account for and adjust to keep afr in check... but would it still be advisable to get it retuned?
Or is that the whole point... no tune change, so it’s compensating for a rich mixture and if the meth fails, theres enough room in the tune that it won’t go lean..??

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I’ve read your build thread.. it’s great! I understand the stft should account for and adjust to keep afr in check... but would it still be advisable to get it retuned?
Or is that the whole point... no tune change, so it’s compensating for a rich mixture and if the meth fails, theres enough room in the tune that it won’t go lean..??
Exactly, no need to retune at all. Reviewing logs is never a bad idea though

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree don't have the tune rely on the meth/water. You actually shouldn't be spraying so much that the car will pull out that much in the short trim. Just make sure you're spraying after the MAF. @Bmaughan aren't the prochager cars already running a bit cooler than the PD cars IAT wise anyway?

I'll have to get some logs done to see how efficient the HE is on my car.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I agree don't have the tune rely on the meth/water. You actually shouldn't be spraying so much that the car will pull out that much in the short trim. Just make sure you're spraying after the MAF. @Bmaughan aren't the prochager cars already running a bit cooler than the PD cars IAT wise anyway?

I'll have to get some logs done to see how efficient the HE is on my car.
Yeah the centris definitely run cooler and I’m on e85 which has a pretty good cooling effect. But I’m in Az and in the summer the ambient temp can get up there... like 118 -120 open air. I’ve measured closer to 135-140 in stop and go traffic on asphalt.

Plus I just nerd out over efficiency. I have a few weird theories with the car and one of them involves running at higher head temps which obviously necessitates a lower act.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah the centris definitely run cooler and I’m on e85 which has a pretty good cooling effect. But I’m in Az and in the summer the ambient temp can get up there... like 118 -120 open air. I’ve measured closer to 135-140 in stop and go traffic on asphalt.

Plus I just nerd out over efficiency. I have a few weird theories with the car and one of them involves running at higher head temps which obviously necessitates a lower act.

I won't be able to test much until after this year. I would probably have a build started on a short block by then but the plan would be to get my initial meth installed after the TB on the adapter plate.

Once the build is complete and I'm running more boost I'll have it modified for direct port running 9 tiny misters.
People seem to forget 12 compression is a lot of squeeze even with the DI for FI. Makes great power with lower boost than the Gen2, but CLY temps if not running e85 or an alcohol based fuel which I'd assume is the vast majority of us is going to be high.
I don't have access to e85 regularly.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
I won't be able to test much until after this year. I would probably have a build started on a short block by then but the plan would be to get my initial meth installed after the TB on the adapter plate.

Once the build is complete and I'm running more boost I'll have it modified for direct port running 9 tiny misters.
People seem to forget 12 compression is a lot of squeeze even with the DI for FI. Makes great power with lower boost than the Gen2, but CLY temps if not running e85 or an alcohol based fuel which I'd assume is the vast majority of us is going to be high.
I don't have access to e85 regularly.
It sounds like you already know what you're doing but FYI TB plate will have the worst distribution issues and the least affect on IAT. I'd definitely stick with an intake pipe nozzle if I were you.

I just had my 2018 manifold direct ported from ProMeth. Check out the very last post of my build log if you want to check it out to get some ideas!

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It sounds like you already know what you're doing but FYI TB plate will have the worst distribution issues and the least affect on IAT. I'd definitely stick with an intake pipe nozzle if I were you.

I just had my 2018 manifold direct ported from ProMeth. Check out the very last post of my build log if you want to check it out to get some ideas!
That's who I'm going to use Obviously my DP would be in the runners on the SC... it would likely be hidden under the SC

Right on I'll check it out

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
@ahl395 remember ur blowing with Thethr Centri and I'm sucking with the PD. problem with moving it anywhere else on a PD, there isn't any long travel to further help atomize the spray. But if I wait until it's in boost the charge speed will atomize it. It's probably still not as efficient as moving it back to the end of a prochager intercooler. But there's probably only 8 inches of intake availed to me anyway and the MAF sensor is in the box as well.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
@ahl395 remember ur blowing with Thethr Centri and I'm sucking with the PD. problem with moving it anywhere else on a PD, there isn't any long travel to further help atomize the spray. But if I wait until it's in boost the charge speed will atomize it. It's probably still not as efficient as moving it back to the end of a prochager intercooler. But there's probably only 8 inches of intake availed to me anyway and the MAF sensor is in the box as well.
Definitely, that changes everything. I didn't know what type of blower you had I just assumed centri. Direct port is definitely the way to go on a PD

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to revive this old thread but i figure this might be the best place to ask. I'm finally about to start the meth injection kit install and i have one question that i haven't seen anyone ask.

How far should the nozzle be installed into the intake piping?
This seems like it could make a big difference depending on how its done.

Same goes for the iat sensor... i dont really feel comfortable tapping the IM so i was going to put the sensor at the very end of the inlet pipe, but i'm not sure how far it should be installed into the pipe either.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
Sponsored