Budget 2018 twin turbo GT build--Under $5k including fuel upgrades

OhChuteRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm still working on a one stop everything in one spot for 15-17 cars and what will need to be done with the option to change from the CX turbos to Borgs once I find out what will fit.

I'm also switching to Dwerks injectors though I can still get ID's and VMP for tuning.

I'm also looking to go turbowerx on the pump just for peace of mind.

gimmie11s, you are one of the few good people left on forums!
Sponsored

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I'm still working on a one stop everything in one spot for 15-17 cars and what will need to be done with the option to change from the CX turbos to Borgs once I find out what will fit.

I'm also switching to Dwerks injectors though I can still get ID's and VMP for tuning.

Great idea... I wish i would have jigged up my hot side once i reworked everything! I have half a mind to pull it apart and jig it.

Dwerks are great units... ID's are expensive although i got mine around the holidays last year for $850 if i remember right... pretty good deal.

Dont use the turbowerx pump. Although very quiet, it doesnt flow enough oil to keep it out of the turbo center sections.

If you want to do it right, you need to buy one of these cheap pumps i have, then have some custom helical gears cut to make it a quieter pump. My pump came with straight cut gears which is why they are so loud.

There is an italian company that makes them (who turbowerx copies) but i havent gotten around to finding the exact pump that would fit the bill just yet.

OhChuteRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Great idea... I wish i would have jigged up my hot side once i reworked everything! I have half a mind to pull it apart and jig it.

Dwerks are great units... ID's are expensive although i got mine around the holidays last year for $850 if i remember right... pretty good deal.

Dont use the turbowerx pump. Although very quiet, it doesnt flow enough oil to keep it out of the turbo center sections.

If you want to do it right, you need to buy one of these cheap pumps i have, then have some custom helical gears cut to make it a quieter pump. My pump came with straight cut gears which is why they are so loud.

There is an italian company that makes them (who turbowerx copies) but i havent gotten around to finding the exact pump that would fit the bill just yet.
I know their base model is designed for only 1 turbo, even their exa can't handle the two??? I've used them before on a mid-mount with zero issues and that same pump is still going.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

This would be a good idea to source stuff and see if there is a group rate for some of this. I haven't priced everything on OP's list but what I did came in less than $7k. The big dollar stuff is the kit, turbos, return fuel system, and injectors. The exhaust could be expensive as well depending on what you go with.

This is still less than turbo kits out there. I have yet to find an off the shelf option for less than $10k with the same (or similar) options.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping CX would be interested in doing this rather than individuals. Though it sure wouldn't hurt if you needed to redo something :)

Sponsored

OhChuteRacing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was hoping CX would be interested in doing this rather than individuals. Though it sure wouldn't hurt if you needed to redo something :)
The CX kit was designed around an MT82 which is much narrower than the 6R and 10r. The only change I see is to the wastegate dumps it's a small change but needed. This is why I doubt cx would bother redesigning the kit.

ttbestas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT-R
@gimmie11s sorry for bumping old thread. I wanna ask about intercooler. you have mentioned that cold side routing wasn't easy. Im wondering if there is option of 2x inlet 1x outlet 4" intercoolers and if you have considered that option. Thanks!

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
@gimmie11s sorry for bumping old thread. I wanna ask about intercooler. you have mentioned that cold side routing wasn't easy. Im wondering if there is option of 2x inlet 1x outlet 4" intercoolers and if you have considered that option. Thanks!
i dont think that would work the way the cold side is routed on this kit.

What i will eventually do, is replace the 3" piping on the pass side that runs up into the engine bay with 2.5". That will solve the clearance issues and make this kit a pleasure to install.

Chief_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
@gimmie11s I know there was a lot of fab work on your end being your car is an auto and an 18+. How much easier do you feel this kit would be for 15-17 manual owners to do? I have started to piece together the kits pit and decide turbos etc. I know the T67s your have make a lot of power. I was planning on going with similar but the 60mm CX Racing T4, shooting for ~800 on high boost E85, ~650 low boost pump. I will have a few more questions most likely as time goes on.

OP
OP

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
@gimmie11s I know there was a lot of fab work on your end being your car is an auto and an 18+. How much easier do you feel this kit would be for 15-17 manual owners to do? I have started to piece together the kits pit and decide turbos etc. I know the T67s your have make a lot of power. I was planning on going with similar but the 60mm CX Racing T4, shooting for ~800 on high boost E85, ~650 low boost pump. I will have a few more questions most likely as time goes on.
It is advertsied as a bolt on for the mt82 cars. The MT82 is a much narrower trans than the 10r80 so i dont see any issue.

The rest of my kit fit up great and i had 0 exhaust leaks when i first fired it up.

60mm turbos would spool very fast and make 800 easily

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tarek
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Magnetic
Great info, have you improved 60' 2nd gear launch and 2 step?

Gen3speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Awesome build just read through the whole thread. Thanks for documenting everything! Sent you a pm.