Sponsored

Will 3.5 EcoBoost Exhaust Manifolds Fit 3.7?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Just have a turbo flange welded to the stock 3.7 exhaust manifold flipped on the drivers side. Use a stock passenger side 3.7 exhaust manifold and use a cross over pipe.

Exactly how my first single turbo setup was in 2015.

But I don’t understand why your not swapping in a 90-96 Mitsubishi Eclipse/Talon 4G63T with a 92 eprom ecu and use ECM link to tune with if you want a turbo engine. It’s a well documented swap for Conquest/Starion and a lot of info. Easiest to do and can make a lot of power. The aftermarket for the 4G63T is as big as a Chevy or Ford V8.

I built a 96 Eagle summit wagon awd 5 speed with Mitsubishi SOHC 4G64, forged the engine, swapped a 4G63T DOHC head with cams on it, put a 92 eprom ECU and tuned it my self for 26 psi and E85 and made 452 awhp. It weighed 3100 lbs and ran a 11.2 1/4 mile.
This^^^^^(above). Understand everything I am talking about is from the standpoint of a TWIN turbo system. Lol, wasnt even thinking anything else lol. But, SouthernCyclone is your resident build your own turbo kit guy in this forum. He not only has attempted (like many others in here), but actually completed his own personal from the ground up builds. Also, on the subject of Conquest. I did some looking around and I saw a good number of LS1 swaps too. Makes me wonder if a 4.6 swap from the 05-09 mustang or 5.3 f150 (longblock) would be a decent cheap option. Getting the ECU and all wiring from a GT of those years will work with the 5.3 engines and drivetrain wouldnt be bad from a junkyard at all. I do like the 3.7 idea first though.

PS - Do you have pics of your 3.7 build to share? Thanks!
A lot of his build pics are in the Forced Induction thread.
Sponsored

SouthernCyclone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 3.7 TT
Okay, I will check it out. Is that 4G64 a six or....? 452 is a lot of moxie! Did you integrate the awd feature on the Eagle Summit wagon? Is that a turbo engine? Do these Mitsubishi engines stand boost without expensive steel components? 4G63T must be a turbo motor, right? The 3.7 is supposed to be bullet proof stock. Steel crank and rods. 6 bolt steel main caps. Hyper-eutectic pistons. Some guys have boosted it up to 600hp, stock! At least that is the story going around. You have given me something to consider. Since they are import engines maybe I could find one cheap on a Japanese salvage web site. I am actually not finding a 3.7 for cheap. Surprises me.
You want a 4G63T out of a 90-92 Eagle Talon TSI turbo or a Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo, those years were 6 bolt cranks and stronger. Alternative would be a 93-96 motor which is a 7 bolt crank, still strong. You can use a 4G64 and put a 4G63T DOHC head into but it’s easier to buy a 4G63T with the head and it’s already a boosted engine stock. You would definitely have to build the 4G64 motor with forged pistons and rods for boost.

The 3.7 is bullet proof stock NA, not necessarily boosted.the pistons, rings and ring lands are prone to breaking in boosted applications. Could last a week, a year, could last a couple of years,

Mitsubishi 4G63T is a legendary engine in the import world and drag scene. With a built motor proper tune and cams that 4 cylinder turbo is easily capable of making as much power or more then a Ford 3.7 Cyclone engine reliably. In stock form you can boost a 4G63T from the stock 190/210 hp rating to 400–500 whp reliably.

IMO your really going about it the hard way trying to put a Ford 3.7 Cyclone NA engine in a conquest/tsi, then turbocharging 3.7 engine when there is a proven engine (talking about proven engine in the drag scene since the 90’s, 30 years!) with HUGE aftermarket with a Mitsubishi 4G63T engine. The 4G63T swap has been done multiple times in a conquest/tsi and you can find info on the swaps, wiring diagrams, anything you need for that swap. Plus huge proven aftermarket that cost reasonable (not over inflated like stuff for the 3.7 engine).

If a LS swap is documented in a conquest/starion I would definitely consider that option also besides the 4G63T swap. My point I’m trying to make there is easier swaps for big reliable power that are well documented and a resources to fall back on while doing the swap.

A built, turbo’d, 3.7 swap for first time into a new platform is definitely not a cheap venture. There really isn’t big aftermarket support or resources for doing swaps with a 3.7.

FYI my brother had a Conquest about 5 years ago, love the body style of those cars

Last edited:
OP
OP

rehoward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
1989 Mustang 5.0, Saturn Vue, Mazda Miata
Well Southern Cyclone now you have really done it! I am pretty well set on using a 3.7 but your emails put me to mind of a brand new (almost) Toyota Blacktop 20 Valve that has been sitting on a stand in my garage for 20 years just waiting to drop into a Lotus 7 clone (that I have yet to build). Don't think I will though, that opportunity is long gone now. There has to be a use for it though? I think best use might be to sell it and use the money for my Conquest project car. Anyone interested in it? I also have the factory ECU and harness (shipped from New Zealand) and a T50 5spd trans. AND a genuine new factory service manual. It is a bitch'in motor with a welded serpentine tube exhaust and individual throttle bodies. Looks like it should be in a Formula 1 car!! No foolin' :-) 160-170hp normally aspirated. A high RPM motor that is an offspring of the famous 16 valve 4AGE twin cam which authored in a new formula class, Formula Atlantic.

What sort of street car would do well with that motor? Something light and nimble. Hmm

OP
OP

rehoward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
You want a 4G63T out of a 90-92 Eagle Talon TSI turbo or a Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo, those years were 6 bolt cranks and stronger. Alternative would be a 93-96 motor which is a 7 bolt crank, still strong. You can use a 4G64 and put a 4G63T DOHC head into but it’s easier to buy a 4G63T with the head and it’s already a boosted engine stock. You would definitely have to build the 4G64 motor with forged pistons and rods for boost.

The 3.7 is bullet proof stock NA, not necessarily boosted.the pistons, rings and ring lands are prone to breaking in boosted applications. Could last a week, a year, could last a couple of years,

Mitsubishi 4G63T is a legendary engine in the import world and drag scene. With a built motor proper tune and cams that 4 cylinder turbo is easily capable of making as much power or more then a Ford 3.7 Cyclone engine reliably. In stock form you can boost a 4G63T from the stock 190/210 hp rating to 400–500 whp reliably.

IMO your really going about it the hard way trying to put a Ford 3.7 Cyclone NA engine in a conquest/tsi, then turbocharging 3.7 engine when there is a proven engine (talking about proven engine in the drag scene since the 90’s, 30 years!) with HUGE aftermarket with a Mitsubishi 4G63T engine. The 4G63T swap has been done multiple times in a conquest/tsi and you can find info on the swaps, wiring diagrams, anything you need for that swap. Plus huge proven aftermarket that cost reasonable (not over inflated like stuff for the 3.7 engine).

If a LS swap is documented in a conquest/starion I would definitely consider that option also besides the 4G63T swap. My point I’m trying to make there is easier swaps for big reliable power that are well documented and a resources to fall back on while doing the swap.

A built, turbo’d, 3.7 swap for first time into a new platform is definitely not a cheap venture. There really isn’t big aftermarket support or resources for doing swaps with a 3.7.

FYI my brother had a Conquest about 5 years ago, love the body style of those cars

What is an LS1? You mean a Chevy smallblock?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Also couple of thoughts if you really want to pursue a Ford engine. The 3.7 NA would be cheap to do from the standpoint of finding a 3.7L just aboout anywhere. However, if your looking to boost have you tried to find an already boosted salvage 3.5? Another potential option is the Chrysler Penstar V6 family. Also pretty common and good power. You would have to source a manual from a Jeep however. Responds well to a blower and companies like Sprintex actually make bolt up kits for the engine. None of these actually make more sense than an easy well documented swap, but just more ideas to throw out.

OP
OP

rehoward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
Also couple of thoughts if you really want to pursue a Ford engine. The 3.7 NA would be cheap to do from the standpoint of finding a 3.7L just aboout anywhere. However, if your looking to boost have you tried to find an already boosted salvage 3.5? Another potential option is the Chrysler Penstar V6 family. Also pretty common and good power. You would have to source a manual from a Jeep however. Responds well to a blower and companies like Sprintex actually make bolt up kits for the engine. None of these actually make more sense than an easy well documented swap, but just more ideas to throw out.
I spent a lot of time looking at using a 3.5 but in the end thought the 3.7 would be a lot cheaper to do. Couple of reasons why : Even a used 3.5 EcoBoost is expensive. An ECU would have to be sourced, Ford has one for the 3.5 and manual trans but it costs $1,900, too rich for me. An aftermarket controller can be found but they are expensive too, and fairly rare since the 3.5 is direct injection. A Megasquirt will do everything you need for the 3.7 and at around $500 it is both cheap and fully featured. The 3.7 is nearly identical to the 3.5 and just as strong. The 3.7 bought used is much cheaper than a used 3.5. Bummer is that the exhaust manifolds from a 3.5 will not bolt up to a 3.7 so adaptation of some shorty manifolds will likely be necessary for a turbo installation. The 3.7 is larger than the 3.5. I know 200cc's isn't much to brag about but it counts. Either motor will bolt up to a Mustang MT82 6spd manual trans though. I have a tight budget of $4,000 in mind including the cost of the car. That is a small number I know but It might be doable if I watch my pennies.