Track mode/Traction and Stability control

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
In this article the author states that even in track mode, which turns off traction control automatically, the car engage it back in dangerous situation. Unless I read it incorrectly, I wonder if this is true?

"There’s also a track mode, which opens up the full throatiness of the exhaust, increases stiffness and tells the traction and stability control systems only to intervene in dire circumstances."
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/rev...y-mustang-gt350-is-fast-and-fun-at-59000.html
Sponsored

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Yes, my understanding is the nanny system is still on it just comes in later and allows you more time to correct before it takes control. Same thing happens in Sport mode just comes kicks in earlier than track mode.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
In this article the author states that even in track mode, which turns off traction control automatically, the car engage it back in dangerous situation. Unless I read it incorrectly, I wonder if this is true?

"There’s also a track mode, which opens up the full throatiness of the exhaust, increases stiffness and tells the traction and stability control systems only to intervene in dire circumstances."
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/rev...y-mustang-gt350-is-fast-and-fun-at-59000.html
You can turn ALL the nannies completely off by holding the traction control switch in the center console for 8-10 seconds. You’ll get an “advanceTrack off” notification.

This will be my first season HDPE’ing the gt350, and my instructor recommends I leave all nannies off all the times. He said it’ll help me learn to control the car better over time, which I initially didn’t agree with, but now do.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
You can turn ALL the nannies completely off by holding the traction control switch in the center console for 8-10 seconds. You’ll get an “advanceTrack off” notification.

This will be my first season HDPE’ing the gt350, and my instructor recommends I leave all nannies off all the times. He said it’ll help me learn to control the car better over time, which I initially didn’t agree with, but now do.
The concept is good, but honestly in track mode it's pretty non intrusive and you can at least find that limit before you turn it off and push past that.

I've used the rain mode on track even and it def does its job well.

You have to be cooking or doing dumb stuff to have it kick in with cup 2's if it's not wet or cold....

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
The concept is good, but honestly in track mode it's pretty non intrusive and you can at least find that limit before you turn it off and push past that.

I've used the rain mode on track even and it def does its job well.

You have to be cooking or doing dumb stuff to have it kick in with cup 2's if it's not wet or cold....
I agree with jmn444.
I'm an HPDE instructor and I don't understand a first year HPDE student being advised by their instructor to turn all nannies off. I would question this as HPDE driving requires driving at the limit and inevitably the student will go over that limit, And then how experienced are they at catching the car after it goes over the limit? With this car in track mode it really does a great job. If you drive smooth and at the limit the nannies will not kick in. Only when you get the car pretty far out of shape will they come in and save your bacon. I would advise to start with track mode and do not use the advanced track mode. In track mode you will be able to experience the limit, you will be able slide the car (not the fast way around) but with confidence and if and only if you don't catch it, it will help.

Other cars are different and perhaps this is where the instructor who advised turning off nannies is coming from. Some cars BMWs, 350Zs, and others the nannies can be so intrusive that they are cutting power or applying brake when approaching the limit. If this is the case I would still start with nannies on see if they come on in an intrusive way then turn them off. Some cars nannies are calibrated between too intrusive and non intrusive like the GT350. where if the driver is smooth they stay off but if the driver inputs are jerking they will kick in. This is also good to leave them on to help que the driver to be smoother.

Now go and have fun!

Last edited:

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I agree with jmn444.
I'm an HPDE instructor and I don't understand a first year HPDE student being advised by their instructor to turn off all nannies off. I would question this as HPDE driving requires driving at the limit and inevitably the student will go over that limit, And then how experienced are they at catching the car after it goes over the limit? With this car in track mode it really does a great job. If you drive smooth and at the limit the nannies will not kick in. Only when you get the car pretty far out of shape will they come in and save your bacon. I would advise to start with track mode and do not use the advanced track mode. In track mode you will be able to experience the limit, you will be able slide the car (not the fast way around) but with confidence and if and only if you don't catch it, it will help.

Other cars are different and perhaps this is where the instructor who advised turning off nannies is coming from. Some car BMWs, 350Zs, and others the nannies can be so intrusive that they are cutting power or applying brake when approaching the limit. If this is the case I would still start with nannies on see if they come on in an intrusive way then turn them off. Some cars nannies are calibrated between too intrusive and non intrusive like the GT350. where if the driver is smooth they stay off but if the driver inputs are jerking they will kick in. This is also good to leave them on to help que the drive to be smoother.

Now go and have fun!
not his first year, just 1st in this car... but still....

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I agree with jmn444.
I'm an HPDE instructor and I don't understand a first year HPDE student being advised by their instructor to turn off all nannies off. I would question this as HPDE driving requires driving at the limit and inevitably the student will go over that limit, And then how experienced are they at catching the car after it goes over the limit? With this car in track mode it really does a great job. If you drive smooth and at the limit the nannies will not kick in. Only when you get the car pretty far out of shape will they come in and save your bacon. I would advise to start with track mode and do not use the advanced track mode. In track mode you will be able to experience the limit, you will be able slide the car (not the fast way around) but with confidence and if and only if you don't catch it, it will help.

Other cars are different and perhaps this is where the instructor who advised turning off nannies is coming from. Some car BMWs, 350Zs, and others the nannies can be so intrusive that they are cutting power or applying brake when approaching the limit. If this is the case I would still start with nannies on see if they come on in an intrusive way then turn them off. Some cars nannies are calibrated between too intrusive and non intrusive like the GT350. where if the driver is smooth they stay off but if the driver inputs are jerking they will kick in. This is also good to leave them on to help que the drive to be smoother.

Now go and have fun!
Thanks, solid advice from both you guys.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Traction control is forward, stability is side to side. Track Mode will let you spin some with traction control being so far dialed back. But stability is still on to a point. It's a very good mode but if you're new, absolutely start off in Sport Mode if you feel that's where your're comfortable.

Mach70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red GT350, 1970 Mach1, 2017 GT350
On a smooth road course I did not have an issue with stability control in sport or track mode when starting out. Then, I did some auto crossing. It kicked in and felt like a major shutting down on power. More than once it kicked out of track mode into normal, making me think I broke something. I started using Track mode, AND holding up the traction off toggle for 7-10 seconds. This makes a huge difference, and seems to have taken care of the issue. I will also be going this route (track mode AND traction control off) on track days this summer.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
On a smooth road course I did not have an issue with stability control in sport or track mode when starting out. Then, I did some auto crossing. It kicked in and felt like a major shutting down on power. More than once it kicked out of track mode into normal, making me think I broke something. I started using Track mode, AND holding up the traction off toggle for 7-10 seconds. This makes a huge difference, and seems to have taken care of the issue. I will also be going this route (track mode AND traction control off) on track days this summer.
That's what I do for autocross and no other way to do it. EVERYTHING off.
Sponsored