Sponsored

Conti ExtremeContact Sport VS Michelin PS4S

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I know this subject has been covered before in older threads and I have done lots of reading on these tires but I'm looking to get current opinions from the forum.
I'm looking to replace my Nitto 555's on my 15 GT. used mainly for street, spirited driving. Let me start by saying I can't wait to get these Nitto's off, never really liked these tires especially in the rain.
I run PP size staggered setup.
Tire Rack pricing is $1000 for ECS and $1200 for PS4S
So which tire would be best for me considering the following?

Treadlife - Which will last longer?
Performance - For street would I ever know difference? Which will stick better from a dig?
Rain- Which is stickier
Cold- Living in Chicago I use my summer tires from April to November. So sometimes I'll be driving in 30's, which will be stickier in cold?
Noise- Is one quieter than other?
Ride- Crap roads around here, which will absorb bumps better?

Thanks in advance for input
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I know this subject has been covered before in older threads and I have done lots of reading on these tires but I'm looking to get current opinions from the forum.
I'm looking to replace my Nitto 555's on my 15 GT. used mainly for street, spirited driving. Let me start by saying I can't wait to get these Nitto's off, never really liked these tires especially in the rain.

Treadlife - Which will last longer? Toss up, probably the Conti but likely not by enough to matter
Performance - For street would I ever know difference? Which will stick better from a dig? Street? Nah. They'll both make the Nittos feel like rocks.
Rain- Which is stickier Both are excellent.
Cold- Living in Chicago I use my summer tires from April to November. So sometimes I'll be driving in 30's, which will be stickier in cold? I haven't driven either in the cold, but I have driven the predecessor, the Pilot Super Sport and it did fine. You don't want to romp on it but it's not scary.
Noise- Is one quieter than other? Michelin probably edges the Conti here
Ride- Crap roads around here, which will absorb bumps better? Historically the Conti will be better here

See bold :)

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Brian

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Treadlife - Which will last longer?
Performance - For street would I ever know difference? Which will stick better from a dig?
Rain- Which is stickier
Cold- Living in Chicago I use my summer tires from April to November. So sometimes I'll be driving in 30's, which will be stickier in cold?
Noise- Is one quieter than other?
Ride- Crap roads around here, which will absorb bumps better?

Conti are terrible with noise the Michelin are leaps and bounds better there. The rest are a push. So save money like I did and get the contis and deal with road noise or pony up some more and get the best on the market. Performance wise they are nearly identical, it's just the little nuances that separate them. Either tire will be great, the Conti just has a slight weakness with noise, Michelin has a weakness with price. Just my 2 cents

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I've had both the PS4S and the Conti ECS... I prefer the Conti.

Better ride, performance/thread life similar to PS4S for street driving and cheaper. The Conti noise is exceptional compared to most tires in my opinion. The PS4S has a slight edge there, but nothing ground breaking. Interesting to hear the above comment about Contis being terrible with noise. First time I have heard someone say that about the Conti.

OP you can't go wrong with either choice.

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I can attest to @BmacIL and @Cardude99. I ran both Michs and Contis in the past and currently sitting on Conti DWS06 (needed more threadlife as a daily driver at the moment). Most noticeable difference was road noise. The PS4S were definitely quieter than the Extreme Contacts and as for the ride, they both feel similar, but I lean towards the Extreme Contacts if I had to choose. As mentioned from @Cardude99, both tires are great, just decide on paying more for reduced road noise or less for more road noise.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the comments guys.
So far it seems like road noise is biggest difference which is important to me.
Do you think either choice will be more or less road noise than my existing Nitto’s?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the comments guys.
So far it seems like road noise is biggest difference which is important to me.
Do you think either choice will be more or less road noise than my existing Nitto’s?
Likely less.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I pulled the trigger on the ExtremeContact Sports. $1238 w/ Tax,install and disposal. $45 more than TireRack/Midas solution to go to a reputable shop that will warranty if there are any issues with the tire. And it will be done Monday, just in time for spring like weather in Chicago.
I'll let you guys know my thoughts after some miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Did you guys know the ExtremeContact Sports are not directional!?
This is great on my staggered setup so I can flip sides and get a longer life from the tire.
I had no idea, as I’m looking very hard at all the writing to find the arrows.
Just an FYI

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Did you guys know the ExtremeContact Sports are not directional!?
This is great on my staggered setup so I can flip sides and get a longer life from the tire.
I had no idea, as I’m looking very hard at all the writing to find the arrows.
Just an FYI
I have been very happy with the purchase of ECS in stock PP sized for my 2015 GT PP. Here's my take on them, Grip was way better than the stock pirelli tires in both dry and wet conditions. I was actually blown away with how much traction they provide in the wet. You can definitely accelerate quick and with confidence running these tires! Cornering response was quicker and sharper than stock tires. Braking was really good, specially during sudden stops. Road noise when new was not bad, now that they are close to the wear bars they definitely transfer more noise to the cabin. Mileage has been great with the Continental tires, I drive normal with the occasional spirited driving and have managed to get about 50K miles out of my current front tires and 28-32K out of my current rear tires while rotating them left to right every 5K miles during my oil changes. My current set are close to the wear bars and will be buying another set of Continentals in 295/35R19 Front and 305/35R19 Rear for 19x10 front and 19x11 rear wheels.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I have been very happy with the purchase of ECS in stock PP sized for my 2015 GT PP. Here's my take on them, Grip was way better than the stock pirelli tires in both dry and wet conditions. I was actually blown away with how much traction they provide in the wet. You can definitely accelerate quick and with confidence running these tires! Cornering response was quicker and sharper than stock tires. Braking was really good, specially during sudden stops. Road noise when new was not bad, now that they are close to the wear bars they definitely transfer more noise to the cabin. Mileage has been great with the Continental tires, I drive normal with the occasional spirited driving and have managed to get about 50K miles out of my current front tires and 28-32K out of my current rear tires while rotating them left to right every 5K miles during my oil changes. My current set are close to the wear bars and will be buying another set of Continentals in 295/35R19 Front and 305/35R19 Rear for 19x10 front and 19x11 rear wheels.
How did you get that kind of mileage? I'll be lucky to get 20k

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
How did you get that kind of mileage? I'll be lucky to get 20k
Minimal burnouts ( 3 times and not a smoke cloud burnout lol), 90% highway driving, proper psi, and rotating every 5K miles.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Minimal burnouts ( 3 times and not a smoke cloud burnout lol), 90% highway driving, proper psi, and rotating every 5K miles.
No burnouts here, psi is good here, rotations good. Maybe I push turns harder. Cause that would the only difference I can see.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
No burnouts here, psi is good here, rotations good. Maybe I push turns harder. Cause that would the only difference I can see.
That should be it, I have not been to the canyons to really push the car in well over 2 years. Car has seen mostly highway miles from road trips and not hard canyon driving. Within the last two years I did a road trip to Canada, Utah, Texas, Nevada, Arizona and twice to Baja California. Also, not sure what my camber setting are but I told the guy that I wanted an alignment for long tire life and not aggressive driving. Tire wear is near even on all 4 corners. I'd say he delivered!
Sponsored