Sponsored

Best Resonator to Remove Drone but Keep Sound? Or a Valve Solution?

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
I absolutely love the sound and volume of my '18 Mustang GT that has deleted mufflers and an x-pipe, but I'm finally getting fed up of the crazy drone (I daily my car and commute with it).
What would be the best way to eliminate it, without changing and reducing how great it already sounds?
Also, is there a way to add some valve system to close and open even with no mufflers or resonator? And if so, where could it be done (if anyone is in NorCal) and what would cost wise look like?
I appreciate any feedback and help, thank you!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Muffler deletes drone. End of story. Get an axleback that doesn't and still sounds amazing.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Try a Helmholtz resonator :like: (aka 1/4 wave resonator or J-pipe)
nothing more than a piece of exhaust tubing attached at a 90* angle to the exhaust and with a little math, cap off the pipe at the correct tuned length and the pipe will create an 1/4 sound wave cancelling the resonance wave you do not like (kinda how active noise cancellation works)
it will not change the sound or loudness of your exhaust nor the flow velocity, just cancels out the resonance wave (V8's usually drone from 1800-2000 rpm)
If you do not feel like doing the math part, you can always have the Helmholtz Res cut longer than needed with an overlapping section that you can slide and clamp to find the perfect length you want then weld a cap on it.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
OP stated he already has an X-pipe

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Drone is typically due to the rear section/muffler or lack there of not the mid pipe. As @BmacIL stated the muffler delete is one of the biggest culprits. Consider axle back options to mate your x.

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
This is basically what I was referring to, Helmholtz Resonator will remove the drone associated with the muffler delete by introducing a cancellation sound wave. (just like most cars have on their intake tract)
OP can keep his muffler delete and reduce/remove the drone at the same time.

example is not a Mustang muffler, but same idea
Res.jpg

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
An axle back with a muffler might be the best option to keep the volume and kill the drone. There are plenty of axle back options that sounds great. Let me know if there is anything I can do or if you have any questions. Lethalperformance.com

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm gonna cosign @DavisCustoms and @BmacIL, go do some research with google on how resonators work:
there are great sounding mufflers out there. you have to be willing to sacrifice something (loudness and drone, some loudness and no drone)
AWE makes a loud touring exhaust that doesn't drone much if any.
EDIT
It aint cheap

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna cosign @DavisCustoms and @BmacIL, go do some research with google on how resonators work:
there are great sounding mufflers out there. you have to be willing to sacrifice something (loudness and drone, some loudness and no drone)
AWE makes a loud touring exhaust that doesn't drone much if any.
EDIT
It aint cheap
Good usually isn't.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Honesly I don't get the whole "loud is good" kinda deal. I bougt the outlaw thinking it would be loud but not obnoxious, the exhaust note is fine, but that done, hideous. Now I have a Free Flowing LTH setup, and lets just say its not exactly quiet. My car even has the stock suitcase welded back into place and only the 3" axlebacks, from the full outlaw, it's crazy loud. I'm doing to install my Magnaflow Street here next month and i'm hoping it's much better than it was before, I mean there isn't really drone perse, but it's LOUD AF, so i'm going to try to get the AE exhaust working on it as well.

When you actually have a fast car, then you don't want it loud anymore. I never wanted mine THAT loud ever. I think more of these company's should give actual specs on dBs from like a 10' distance or something so we can ascertain how obnoxious it really is going to be.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Honesly I don't get the whole "loud is good" kinda deal. I bougt the outlaw thinking it would be loud but not obnoxious, the exhaust note is fine, but that done, hideous. Now I have a Free Flowing LTH setup, and lets just say its not exactly quiet. My car even has the stock suitcase welded back into place and only the 3" axlebacks, from the full outlaw, it's crazy loud. I'm doing to install my Magnaflow Street here next month and i'm hoping it's much better than it was before, I mean there isn't really drone perse, but it's LOUD AF, so i'm going to try to get the AE exhaust working on it as well.

When you actually have a fast car, then you don't want it loud anymore. I never wanted mine THAT loud ever. I think more of these company's should give actual specs on dBs from like a 10' distance or something so we can ascertain how obnoxious it really is going to be.
It'll drone a bit. Not bad like outlaws, though, and much quieter.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Build a helmholtz resonator right and it will absolutely kill the drone in a certain range of rpm. While leaving volume outside of that range full scale. All you need is some premade J-bend exhaust tubing, cut and welder. If memory recalls when I did mine they were about 28" length for the 1800-2200 range.

Edit: 25"

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/exhaust-journey-is-complete.77513/

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase