aerok

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Premium Tremec 3160 Torsen 3.73 Diff
Hello all

I am track guy that go to trackdays 5 times a year approximately.

For the last 2 trackdays I've seen an issue when taking a long (NASCAR oval Style) left corner....

When the turn starts I am in 2nd gear accelerating almost to the floor then change to 3rd gear keep accelerating at the same rate and suddenly -I am guessing- pump of gasoline does not receive any gas and the car stalls momentarily and with the corner almost over then the gasoline starts to be again on top of the pump and the car starts to accelerate again

Can somebody comment if have experienced this? And how can I fix it?

Note: this happens only with half of tank or less

I've heard something similar happened when developing GT500 and Ford needed to change something in the gasoline system due high cornering G's

My car reaches 1.26 G's (according to track app) at this particular corner when the issue happens
Sponsored

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
A problem for us road course guys. Two saddle tanks with a crossover line doesn’t help.

Cheap answer: Start with a full tank of fuel at the beginning of every session. (I’m currently on this program)
Not so cheap answer: Add a surge tank setup.

A fuel sponge is a topic to explore but I’m not a fan.

Edit: This is a swirl pot and not very expensive and what I’m mostly looking at since I have a complete E85 Fore fuel system which incorporates a fuel return line.

https://fuelsafe.com/swirlpot/

OP
OP
aerok

aerok

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
A problem for us road course guys. Two saddle tanks with a crossover line doesn’t help.

Cheap answer: Start with a full tank of fuel at the beginning of every session. (I’m currently on this program)
Not so cheap answer: Add a surge tank setup.

A fuel sponge is a topic to explore but I’m not a fan.

Edit: This is a swirl pot and not very expensive and what I’m mostly looking at since I have a complete E85 Fore fuel system which incorporates a fuel return line.

https://fuelsafe.com/swirlpot/
I figured that...If I don't want to be worried, need to have at least 3/4 of tank.

What exactly do the Fuel Safe Swirl Pot?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What exactly do the Fuel Safe Swirl Pot?

From the link provided by db252:
Fuel Safe has designed a de-aerating Swirl Pot/ Collector (part number SPE, optional mounting bracket 1MTL0) that insures an uninterrupted and continuous supply of fuel to the engine. Our Swirl Pot incorporates a swirl inducing geometry along with internal baffle to insure a clean fully De-aerated fuel stream for your fueling system.

The pot is TIG welded aircraft grade aluminum and fully anodized with four(4) -8 AN fittings: two (2) for incoming fuel, one fuel outlet and one fuel overflow fitting that evacuates the air while routing excess fuel back to your Fuel Safe Racing Cell. Fuel Safe's Swirl Pot was designed to hold 1 liter of fuel. The flap topped swirl pot insures trapped air returns to the cell and not your engine.

An optional addition to the Swirl Pot is an anodized aluminum mounting bracket that allows the Pot to be mounted on any vertical surface. The pot can also be mounted to any horizontal surface via the four (4) integrated mounting tabs located on the bottom plate. This addition is ideal in all forms of racing including drift, time attack and rally cross. Fuel Safe's Swirl Pot ensures your engine will perform under the most extreme conditions!
$312.00
Only other option is evasive (for a 100% dedicated track car) and that would be to ditch the factory tank; come up with another tank without the saddle divider. This would mean an internally trunk mounted tank OR revising the rear trunk floor pan to completely remove the tire well and install a tank like a Fuel Safe cell that could fit within that rear location. This would also mean modifying the harnesses and fuel lines for the pump for relocation.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, fuel starvation is a problem in long left hand corners. I’ve experienced it at an indicated quarter tank or less. Just start the session with enough fuel to not starve before its over.

I wonder how the GT500 does, I hear its a very very thirsty boy. Curious if it has any special parts to help.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I didn't have this problem in my GT350. I'm not the quickest driver, and I used factory tires, but I had it down close to 30 miles to empty and didn't have a problem. Maybe the left handers weren't long enough?

The GT350 might be another place to check for a solution.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I didn't have this problem in my GT350. I'm not the quickest driver, and I used factory tires, but I had it down close to 30 miles to empty and didn't have a problem. Maybe the left handers weren't long enough?

EDITED: The GT350 has 2 pumps whereas the GT just has one. Here's the link. See page 5 where ddozier explains how the GT350 dual pumps work: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/throttle-cutting-out-in-hard-left-turns.14693/page-5

Last edited:

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Just lived through this over the weekend shaking the car down @ Thunderhill East (LOTS of left handers).

My car commands a lot of fuel - 750whp running a TVS 2650 @ 12lbs on E85 w/ 1050x injectors and dual 274 pumps w/ hydramat on -8 feed/return lines @ ~44psi.

Starting with a full tank (fuel literally spilling out), I couldn't make it more than 7.5 laps (~20 miles) before starving severely after every left hander feeding into WOT on corner exits @ >1.3G. When I pulled back into the paddock, I put 8-9 gallons back in, which means it's happening at just under 1/2 tank, just as the OP experienced.

FWIW, I have a Radium closed fuel hangar with an improved jet pump, so it isn't the horribly designed open Fore hangar that came with my fuel system causing the problem, but it just isn't enough to meet the demands of my system.

I am jumping on a call with Radium today to find a path forward. It most likely involves an electric sending pump on the passenger saddle and/or an external surge tank (trying to avoid cutting out the trunk floor and going to a fuel cell).

Stay tuned.

OP
OP
aerok

aerok

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)

I would really like to own a GT350, but beside the price, I dont think is a good daily driver, my GT is a daily and track toy.

Mine is giving me 26 mpg in a good week (boring too). I might be wrong...what's your thoughts?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would really like to own a GT350, but beside the price, I dont think is a good daily driver, my GT is a daily and track toy.

Mine is giving me 26 mpg in a good week (boring too). I might be wrong...what's your thoughts?
I found the GT350 to be the best daily I ever owned. To me it always seemed special and I didn't feel that I had to be doing anything illegal or anti-social to enjoy my time in it. I averaged 19 mph in my 2015 GT and 17 in my GT350, so I think you could get over 20 in the GT350 if you drove it like your GT.

And I thought the GT350 was awesome on the track. I have really been wanting to buy another. It's only the high price that's stopping me. There are some 2019s for sale near me for ~$7k under MSRP and it's really tempting. Still a lot of money though.

When I posted above, I was thinking someone could use parts from the GT350 in their GT to solve the fuel starvation problem. I have no idea whether it would be cheaper than going aftermarket, but my thought is I typically prefer an OEM solution if available. The safety and longevity of OEM components really help my comfort level - especially on track.
Sponsored