Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a nice piece. I'd prefer one that projects the speed at a place above the center of the steering wheel. On my last two S197s I had a stand-alone GPS-data item that was Velcro-ed™ to the dash in that location. It was from an eBaY seller and cost about $85, if I recall correctly. I became absolutely dependent on the digital-ness of it, was happy to see the digital readout on the S550 dash, and have had very little occasion to look at the analog speedometer ever since.

Mustang headupSpeedometer2014.jpg

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
All it shows is the current speed which is already available in the speedometer so.. save your money and invest in something else the font looks very outdated too

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Plain, basic fonts are easier to read quickly. Which is supposedly the whole point of even having HUD.

Personally, I'd rather see the display over at the A-pillar where I'd have to make an active decision to look at it. Instrumentation needs to take a back seat to what's going on (physically) around you outside the car. You should not be constantly monitoring it in real time.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The HUD is one really nice thing on my Corvette that I will miss when I sell it. I don't really notice it unless I want to check my speed and it's great not having to look away from traffic. Old people problems - the dash speedo can be just far enough away that neither my close or far lenses on the bifocals are quite right. HUD is a lot easier to focus on.

Sponsored

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Plain, basic fonts are easier to read quickly. Which is supposedly the whole point of even having HUD.

Personally, I'd rather see the display over at the A-pillar where I'd have to make an active decision to look at it. Instrumentation needs to take a back seat to what's going on (physically) around you outside the car. You should not be constantly monitoring it in real time.

Norm
I think the main purpose of a HUD is from a safety perspective. It's there so you don't have to take your eyes away from the road to observe basic information like speed or RPM's. You simply have to adjust your focus for a split second instead of looking away. Though I'd agree, displaying anything more than those 2 things could get distracting.

There's already a blank panel on the dash in front of the instrument cowl where the shift light HUD is for GT350's. Be nice to see an aftermarket option that utilizes that location.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It displays the info low, in the center of the windshield.

Kind of defeats the purpose.

If it could display it where it needs to be, they'd have something.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I can only speak for myself, but I rarely look at the speedometer. I can gauge the speed I'm traveling to within 5 km/h. Been that way for years and years. Not one speeding ticket.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think the main purpose of a HUD is from a safety perspective. It's there so you don't have to take your eyes away from the road to observe basic information like speed or RPM's. You simply have to adjust your focus for a split second
Exactly. Hence my reasoning behind keeping the font plain and basic.

There's already a blank panel on the dash in front of the instrument cowl where the shift light HUD is for GT350's. Be nice to see an aftermarket option that utilizes that location.
I'm afraid I don't know where that is, exactly.

What I have found from the A-pillar mounted Aeroforce gauge in my '08 and the A-pillar mounted tach in a car I had a long time ago is that the A-pillar location is readily accessible and easily legible when you need it and well out of central vision for when you don't. I watched that autohaus video several times, including full screen and at different distances from my screen (for seeing if/how central vision might be affecting your perception of the video itself), and those green numbers insisted on pulling my attention to them no matter what I tried. Would drive me batty while driving.

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I found this HUD for sale from i5 autohaus that looks very promising. It comes as a dash speaker cover with the display integrated inside and projects your speed onto the windshield without mirrors. Anyone here have this or bought from this company before?

https://www.i-5autohaus.com/product-page/i-5-tech-hud-display-15-19-mustangs
I'd be skeptical until I had a chance to see it in various light settings. Windshields for factory installed windshield HUD units have special coatings on the display areas to allow for visibility across a broad spectrum of lighting scenarios. Don't believe me, ask anyone who's ever had to have a windshield replaced by Safelite. First question they ask is "does your vehicle have a HUD?" Some also have provision for polarized sunglasses. The Mazda low-cost HUD system (I think Ford is starting to use this too) sits in front of the windshield and also has special coating for the same reasons. That system seems to be similar to what @frank s describes. I'm thinking people will spend $200 for the I-5 Autohaus system only to be pi$$ed off when they can't see it half the time.

Sponsored

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm afraid I don't know where that is, exactly.

Norm
It's this piece in front of the driver's side gauge cowl near the windshield. On GT350's and GT500's, there's a shift light HUD.
20200226_122005.jpg

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I think the main purpose of a HUD is from a safety perspective. It's there so you don't have to take your eyes away from the road to observe basic information like speed or RPM's. You simply have to adjust your focus for a split second instead of looking away. Though I'd agree, displaying anything more than those 2 things could get distracting.

On the Genesis G70 I test drove the HUD provided song information, turn by turn directions for nav, blind spot information, and lane keep assist activity, all in addition to the speedo. Was not distracting at all, and I’d argue it provides less distraction overall as a driver wouldn’t need to (fully) take their eyes off the road to check nav or see what song is playing, and in regards to the blind spot info, in theory, you’d know that you aren’t able to change lanes without looking at your mirror (of course, if the indicator isn’t showing a car, you still should obviously look before changing lanes - the idea presented is you’d know a car is next to you without needing to take your eyes off the road before visually/actively checking, if that makes sense)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
On the Genesis G70 I test drove the HUD provided song information, turn by turn directions for nav, blind spot information, and lane keep assist activity, all in addition to the speedo. Was not distracting at all, and I’d argue it provides less distraction overall as a driver wouldn’t need to (fully) take their eyes off the road to check nav or see what song is playing,
Instead of you know... just driving your car.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Instead of you know... just driving your car.
You are driving your car. Without needing to take your eyes off the road.
If your comment was implying that you’ve never used a form of navigation (gps or physical map/directions) and/or have never searched the radio/usb for a song while driving, well, you’re a liar. Having this information on a HUD lessens distractions by keeping a driver’s eyes towards the road instead of an infotainment screen, phone, or other physical item that is not part of the windshield.
Sponsored

Last edited: