Sponsored

How not to make a mess on the floor changing the oil?

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Friend has a garage, he does my inspections, so I'll let him do my oil.

First time in my Mustang; two days later here is a small puddle of oil on my carport.
Next oil change, the Valvoline shop does the service.

No more oil drips on my carport..............:clap:
Sponsored

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
My car came with "FREE" oil changes, so I just show up Saturdays and let them do it. I had an episode with a 2009 Subaru Impreza that spun a rod bearing at 36,000 miles. I had been getting my oil changed at a Honda dealer. Subaru didn't want to warranty it, until I produced al the records of it being done on time. New engine at $0.00. Piece of mind of having somebody else responsible and a record of it being done.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
We used to own a couple of Lotus Europa Twin Cam Specials which leaked. Therefore we own a couple of 2' by 4' metal drip pans like this: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8114000

My old drain pan happens to be very large diameter and has a pour spout. The drip pan and drain pans work pretty well and any splashes on the floor are easily cleaned with paper towels.

My biggest problem is oil from the filter getting on my arm, etc. I've used paper towel, newspaper, etc. to channel the oil away from hard to clean places with mixed results. I think I'll try the punch a hole with an awl and/or using a plastic bag next oil change if I don't simply start paying to have it changed.

FYI I had the pan plug leak after doing the second DIY oil change in my 2018 and was able to fix it with minimal additional oil loss by loosening, wiggling, etc. the plug. Apparently I didn't install it properly since I haven't had the problem again after 2 or 3 more oil changes. I did buy some spare oem drain plugs just-in-case but am still using the original plug.

Scott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 2008 Mustang GT/CS, 1970 Boss 302
Vehicle Showcase
I vote for using a larger freezer bag over the oil filter. No more oil running down your arm or on the floor.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'm looking to change the oil out next weekend and I'd like to know how not to make a mess on the floor if doing this on jack stands?
15 qt round oil pan and a piece of cardboard I kept from the last refrigerator I bought. Jack the car, put down the cardboard under the car, place the oil pan on top of the cardboard under the drain plug, then away you go. Any oil that splashes/spills out of the pan (some always does) will go on the cardboard.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
While not as nice as a true oil drain pan, a large kitty litterbox is much larger and a lot cheaper. Works awesome for tranny fluid changes as well. Plus it's cheap. It works great for catching coolant when you are flushing because you don't have to be that accurate on the positioning.

The only caveat is that it is a bit flimsy when full of fluid so you will want two sets of hands when draining it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vibrant-Life-Extra-Large-Cat-Litter-Pan/637602463

[Edit] and while you're down that aisle, might as well pick up a bag of cheap kitty litter just in case you do spill some.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer did not like my watching the tech's work, or the tech's did not? I bought Steeda full length rails, 12 qt. sealed pan and do my own with a cheap low profile jack & stands. Also rotate front to back tires.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Go to your local appliance store, many times they have piles of Cardboard from Refrigerator boxes somewhere, sometimes stored outside... pick up a couple, put them under your car, and then throw them away when done. They used to be free.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Another thought, if you add up the savings for doing your own oil changes for a few years, you can buy yourself something like the QuickJack which lifts the car evenly and higher than an ordinary jack or ramps. Costco has it on sale somewhat regularly for $1000 for the 5000 pound version. It's kind of cool that they show an S550 lifted on it.

https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5,000-lb-capacity-portable-car-lift-.product.100460313.html

(Right now it is not on sale as you can see)

I really like mine, I wish I would have bought it 20 years ago. If you are a track addict, you can get a 12v model, so you can take them to the track for quick and easy tire and brake changes.

The savings probably won't be realized by the time you sell the current car you have, but then you are setup for the rest of your life.

Because of the height it lifts the car, I think you could probably get a full sized 5 gallon bucket under the drain plug if you needed to.

Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I vote for using a larger freezer bag over the oil filter. No more oil running down your arm or on the floor.
With my '17 and a traditional pan and drain plug I've had no problems whatsoever. I use speed ramps btw unless I want to lift the front and check for excessive play in the steering or front wheels. I have full length jacking rails for that.

BUT the filter can be a huge pain. Yep, a large freezer bag over the filter can definitely help, and I simply love the idea of popping a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it first.

But my attempts to avoid spillage with the filter was motivated by the fact that it soaks the wires for the steering system if you simply do nothing but pull the filter. I did that once - never again.

I decided to go to home depot and buy a small sheet of thick plastic I could cut out with some snips. I cut a pattern out that I could bend the edges up into a little chute with some cut-outs on the other end to go over the oil line. It's about a foot long, so I can stick the end with the cut-outs up in there around where the filter is mounted on either side. When I pull the filter all the oil hits the chute and goes into the drain pan. A bit cumbersome, but at least I avoid getting oil on the ground.

However, I

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I'm looking to change the oil out next weekend and I'd like to know how not to make a mess on the floor if doing this on jack stands? In particular, because the drain plug isn't the old school screw type in which you can control the flow a little better. How large of an oil catching area and oil pan do you need to keep splash to a minimum?

How do I ensure I don't stain the hell out of my floor giving this a go?

Thanks.
I use a large oil pan to catch most of the spills but also have a pig mat to catch any spills or splashes. I recommend using two different pans one to catch the oil and another to catch the filter so it doesn't splash.

Mustang Maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible; 2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Did the first oil change yesterday.
No issues and no mess.

Installed the Ronin which was very easy.
Attaching some images.

1 - Up on the Race Ramps.
I have the 2 Piece 72" ramps - long length provides a good angle and the height is 8 or 10 inches (can't remember).
Helps with all the sports cars in the family.

2 & 3 - Used the detached ramps to build a platform for the drain pan to get it higher and closer to the oil drain.

4 - Pulled the drain plug out very slowly.
Pulled it out maybe a little less than an inch - see the blue circle.
Allowed me to control the flow and let the oil out into the drain pan at a reasonable rate.

5 & 6 - Installed the Ronin.
Just line up the reference notch at 7-8 o'clock position - see red circle - and push / twist into place.
The Ronin Factory white lettering will be facing down at the 6 o'clock position.
It will have a little wiggle play, but directions say that is okay - and it does not leak.

7 - Oil filter is above the flap on the drivers side.
Just one 7mm bolt to remove - some youtube videos show removing all 4 bolts and the entire skid plate, but you only need to take out the one bolt and open the flap.
Filter was tight, but I got it off by hand with some elbow grease.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck Brothers.
20200331_163905.jpg
20200331_163946.jpg
20200331_163932.jpg
20200331_165531.jpg
20200331_170654 v2.jpg
20200331_171245_016.jpg
20200331_171550.jpg

Mustang Maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible; 2006 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah.
And installed the Steeda Jacking Rails while I had it up.
Very easy install - just 4 bolts on each side to remove; situate the rail in place; and put the bolts back in.
Sponsored