Sponsored

What tool are you using to remove 2018+ Mustang GT oil filter?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Since I had problems with past cars fitting the old school band style filter wrench, I was forced to purchase a filter cup socket for that car.

I was wondering what tool do you use to remove and install the oil filter on your 2018+ Mustang GT?

Do you use a particular band wrench?
a self adjusting jaw style?
Did you purchase a cup/socket? How easy is it to remove from the filter? What size is it? Have had issues with the filter slightly deforming and the filter sticking in the cup socket.

If you have photos and/or links would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Since I had problems with past cars fitting the old school band style filter wrench, I was forced to purchase a filter cup socket for that car.

I was wondering what tool do you use to remove and install the oil filter on your 2018+ Mustang GT?

Did you purchase a cup/socket? How easy is it to remove from the filter? What size is it? Have had issues with the filter slightly deforming and the filter sticking in the cup socket.

Thanks
Frank
You're overthinking it.
I am using this one - OEMTOOLS 25400 Oil Filter A Cap Wrench 74/76mm with 30 flutes (I think) - bought it on Amazon but shows currently unavailable. It is easy, as pretty much with any other oil filter out there, filter sits behind little door you have to open but removing a screw. It's easy.

traktrbeam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford GT Premium PP1

Thanks
Frank
Hands.jpg

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
For the first oil change it took a cap socket and strong language and the threat of being stabbed with a screwdriver. After that, just hands as it should be, no need to tighten the crap out of them.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You really shouldn't need any tool to do this. First oil change I removed the filter by hand. It wasn't loose, or tight... just right. Apply oil to the new filter seal and removal is always accomplished by hand.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
Adjustable jaw type. Had it for years, and have used it on several different kinds of cars.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Jaw wrench. Mine is over 25 years old. Used on every vehicle I have owned. You should be able to use just your hands but sometimes the filter is simply tighter than hand tight or your hands are greasy and this wrench is perfect for just busting it loose and then resume using your hands.
006EC342-391B-4E54-A7B9-39C2E0C414EC.jpeg
Sponsored