Sponsored

Move from GT500 to GT350

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
It is an interesting article to me in so far as why the author was waiting until the end of the article to reveals his preferences for the GT350. I'm just sharing the article and letting each person see if they agree with the thoughts this author has. I'm sure they are both wonderful cars but it is becoming increasingly clear Ford has made 2 different beasts and each will appeal to a different kind of Cobra consumer
Totally agreed that these two HP Mustangs are outstanding automobiles and as you mentioned that they are two different animals that have gone in totally different directions and cater to enthusiasts who are looking for much different driving experiences.

Over the last ~6 months I have been very fortunate to having attended many functions which were centered around all things Mustang and incorporated a great deal of dialogue and discussions with fellow Mustang enthusiasts.

The biggest take away that I was able to determine when discussing the new GT500 versus the GT350/R (after it's 6th year of production) was that the majority of Mustang enthusiasts were either ready to move on to the new 2020 GT500 and for the most part forget the GT350/R or that there was very little interest with the launch and purchase of the new GT500 with many enthusiasts very happy with the ongoing production of the GT350/R and having very little or no interest in the 2020 GT500.

Based on those discussions it seems to me that we have a somewhat divided Mustang community when it comes to the best Pony Cars that Ford has to offer with a great deal of enthusiasts happy to stay in the GT350/R camp and with many ready to leave that camp and move over to the new GT500/CFTP model.

For me it was not about price or the increased cost of a 2 seat Mustang but it was all about the overall driving experience and about being more engaged with a Mustang that checks all of the right boxes for my personal driving wants and likes.

At the end of the day I am one of those enthusiasts who has elected to stay with the GT350/R model and have to agree with most (but not all) of what the author had to say in his recent article and can't wait to jump in the drivers seat of my new GT350R.
Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I kept my 2007 GT500 Convertible, she has a 3.4 Whipple with all the other mods that go with it. Love this car. I have drag raced it and have another set of tires for it. Drag racing is fun but going in circles is more fun.

So, in April 2016, went out an purchased my 2016 GT350. Tracked it and drove it and loved that car.

Both cars were awesome for roadtrips. Just this past Sept, 2019, I traded the 16 for the 19R. The R is not as easy to road trip but it is definitely better on the track.
1460464000925[1].jpg
FB_IMG_1575512643666[1].jpg

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
What year Viper? If you don't mind my asking, how would you compare your old Viper to the GT350? Anything you liked or disliked about one over the other?

I ask because since I was a child the Viper has been one of my favorite cars, especially the '96-'02 GTS Coupe. I was initially wanting one badly, but the wife wasn't too keen on a two-seater as she preferred I get something with back seats for our two young boys (ages 3 and 5), and while I was initially looking at 19+ GT PP1s, I felt a GT wouldn't have had the overall thrill and "every drive is an event"-feeling that I would have had in a Viper, so I moved my search to a GT350. I know the Shelby is packed with modern tech so it won't be as raw and trying to kill me every chance it gets like a Viper (that's part of why I love Vipers!), but I've read enough reviews to know the car is special and every drive will hopefully feel as such.
I bought a new 2000 Black GTS Coupe with no stripes from a dealer in my area. I was driving a 1999 Corvette Hardtop (before the Z06 was released), but really wanted the Viper. I made the change after 12 months and did not regret it one bit. The Viper was raw power with tremendous HP/Torque for the time frame. It took me a while to get used to the low-end torque and the guttural sound of the 8.0L V10. It sounded like a UPS truck when driving normally, but it really howled under heavy acceleration. I added a full Corsa Exhaust and High Flow Cats to give it a deeper tone and to keep from burning my hands on the door sills when I got out of the car. The pops and gurgle sounds it made when de-accelerating were intoxicating and always made me smile.

Viper UTH.JPG

The Viper had no creature comforts (no driving modes, no active exhaust, not heated and cooled seats, no way to play music from my phone) and with the 11" wide front wheels, it tram-lined like crazy on the highway. It was very hot in the Texas summer months and my wife never wanted to take it on long trips because of how it rode. But, I did not care, because it was awesome to drive and got looks everywhere I went. I held onto it for 18 years and the car only had 4300 miles when I sold it. Unfortunately at the end, it cost me $2-5K every time I drove it. I had to replace the serpentine belt several times (which always left me stranded), the power steering pump and pulley both failed at different times, the AC unit (which never worked well), master cylinder, rear window struts, etc. I decided to sell it before the lack of use made additional things fail.

Viper Shop.jpeg

I wanted a modern muscle car with a V8/manual transmission and the GT350 with the VooDoo/Tremec checked all the boxes for me. The GT350 is not as fast from a dead stop, but it would reel in the 450HP Viper without too much effort down the stretch. The GT350 is very refined and my wife enjoys going out for a drive as it is perfectly acceptable to her cruising around in Normal mode. We can easily talk over the engine sounds, the Magneride suspension is very tame and I have experienced no tram-lining. I added the Corsa Double Helix X-Pipe resonator delete, so I rarely use Sport mode when she is in the car. When I first bought it, I was dead set on removing the stripes, but my wife convinced me they are part of what makes it a Shelby, so I have grown to like them.

After several months with the GT350, the only thing I miss is the low end torque of the Viper. It is a far better car in every other way and I do not regret "upgrading" to one that lets me drive it normally when I want and with the flip of a switch, turn it into an awesome beast!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I get that. My issue is most of the article parrot’s the same thing that has been said about Mustangs for quite a while. All the while comparing the car to euro counterparts that are exceedingly more expensive. Both cars have there audience, that’s obvious. Completely ok to. I’m partial to, I bought a 20/350. I will not knock the new 500 though, I haven’t driven one yet. I’m bett’n the author of that article hasn’t either.

It is an interesting article to me in so far as why the author was waiting until the end of the article to reveals his preferences for the GT350. I'm just sharing the article and letting each person see if they agree with the thoughts this author has. I'm sure they are both wonderful cars but it is becoming increasingly clear Ford has made 2 different beasts and each will appeal to a different kind of Cobra consumer

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
...After several months with the GT350, the only thing I miss is the low end torque of the Viper. It is a far better car in every other way and I do not regret "upgrading" to one that lets me drive it normally when I want and with the flip of a switch, turn it into an awesome beast!
Thanks for the detailed response! Would you say the parts failures of your Viper were due to extensive non-use, or were those issues somewhat known to happen with them? Either way, the way you had yours spec'd was perfect and they still remain one of my favorite cars, but it's nice to know from someone with extensive experience with both cars that the Shelby still a thrill to drive when compared with the Viper.

Sponsored

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Thanks for the detailed response! Would you say the parts failures of your Viper were due to extensive non-use, or were those issues somewhat known to happen with them? Either way, the way you had yours spec'd was perfect and they still remain one of my favorite cars, but it's nice to know from someone with extensive experience with both cars that the Shelby still a thrill to drive when compared with the Viper.
The car ran great for the first 10-12 years, but yes, I feel the lack of use finally started to catch up to it. The power steering pulley was a known failure point, as they were cheaply made. After losing the belt several times and finally having the pulley crack in half, I replaced it with a billet aluminum one from an after market seller. Most of the other issues were time related failures, like the A/C unit, master cylinder and the rear window struts.

I do not know what the right amount of driving a car vs letting it sit is the best for the long term, but I am planning to drive my GT350 more to avoid lack of use problems. I will also sell it before 18 years, so I can start over with a newer model if someone is still making a nice V8/manual car when the time comes. :sunglasses:

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
I kept my 2007 GT500 Convertible, she has a 3.4 Whipple with all the other mods that go with it. Love this car. I have drag raced it and have another set of tires for it. Drag racing is fun but going in circles is more fun.

So, in April 2016, went out an purchased my 2016 GT350. Tracked it and drove it and loved that car.

Both cars were awesome for roadtrips. Just this past Sept, 2019, I traded the 16 for the 19R. The R is not as easy to road trip but it is definitely better on the track.
1460464000925[1].jpg
FB_IMG_1575512643666[1].jpg
Got to ask, the snake eyes photoshop or real?

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Got to ask, the snake eyes photoshop or real?
Real, they are on plexiglass smoked cover and are decals. Kind of cheesy, but it attracts the kids (and some parents) at shows. Usually a big draw at most shows.
Sponsored