Sponsored

OPG & CS Installation Poll -- Have you upgraded these parts?

Are you running boost on stock OPG / CS?

• Total voters

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
So, who here is running boost and has NOT upgraded their OPG and CS? I wasn't planning on boosting my 5.0, but I stumbled upon an amazing deal on a Procharger. I will be installing the boost with a friend, but I don't feel comfortable opening the motor on my own for installation of OPG and CS (I don't have the mechanical skill to do so).

The general consensus for the breaking of OPG is harmonics (i.e. bouncing off of the rev limiter, 2-step, etc.).

My plan is to install boost, enjoy the car, save up money, then have a shop install OPG / CS at a later date.

Here's a link to an old OPG / CS thread created back in 2016. There's way more Mustangs on the road now in 2020, lol! (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/opg-and-cs-poll.66262/)
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
2016 GT A6. 720-762whp (93 VS. Torco tune) Turning 7500-7700rpm at the shifts. 20K miles. Stock OPG/CS's.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Stock OPG here. I do all my own work but that’s job has always scared me because of the timing components

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Stock OPG here. I do all my own work but that’s job has always scared me because of the timing components
Exactly my concern. Going to install boost and just stay off of the limiter.

How long have you been boosted? How much power?

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
In my opinion it’s relatively cheap insurance compared to the cost of a motor.

660whp, 7,800rpm shift points, 93 octane, Boundary OPG’s.

If your just a roll racer and not revving that high I would say you will be fine. I wasn’t willing to risk it, but that’s me. Gotta decide risk vs reward and what it’s worth to you.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Yay another OPG thread!

They’re waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than a motor!

Don’t buy the oil those snakey salesmen are selling! You don’t need em!

NotQuik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Gears will be going in next week.

Sponsored

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
Stock OPG/CS on 2017 Manual with Whipple @ about 685+/- Roughly 8k miles since boosted. No issues but I rarely see redline.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Boundary OPG and CTG, running 14 psi lots of reving to 8k. Stock I would be concerned about keeping the RPM lower but since you are going centrifuge which loves high RPM your should consider it. Plus don't prochargers put more stress on the crank snout and a few cranks broke. What were they running? I know MMR sells a washer spacer with an ARP bolt which takes up the void between the crank snout and back of the crank bolt, maybe that would help, don't know if there is a crank damper support for prochargers like there is for TVS.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
long as your not bouncing of the rev limiter every shift youll be fine ,2017 pp, stage 1 roush, stock opg, been boosted for 22k miles. and i dont baby her.. shes been great

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
23k miles boosted. Glad I did the stronger gears. The louder my stereo is the more time I spend bouncing off the limiter, especially in the heat of the moment lol. Wish it wasn’t the case but I like loud music and sometimes don’t shift as soon as I’d like to. I’m getting better, probably only hit the limited once yesterday, unfortunately did it again this morning on the way to work. Hehe, I’m a mess.

As to the prochargers and snapping crank snouts. I’m leading towards install error. My crank bolt came loose several times after the initial install, finally with a new bolt and loctite + 100 ftlbs torque it’s been tight for the last couple years.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I'm waiting for my Whipple to ship, should be in my hands mid March. I've ordered a set of TSS timing and oil pump gears. All of it will go in at the same time. Like others have stated, it's one thing not to worry about. I'm going to install it all myself.
Sponsored