Longevity of the Voodoo Motor

Purerock105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 Raptor
I just hit 30k on my 17'. No consumption issues whatsoever. I put 5000mi on it in 22 days on a road trip last year. Maintained properly and you're good to go..
Sponsored

OP
OP
ParkCity06

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
I just hit 30k on my 17'. No consumption issues whatsoever. I put 5000mi on it in 22 days on a road trip last year. Maintained properly and you're good to go..
Did you perform Owners Manual recommended break-in procedure, or something different?

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Did you perform Owners Manual recommended break-in procedure, or something different?
Yea, you asked someone else, but I did the proper factory break-in procedure with a few extra miles as a safety net. I do not stress the engine until the oil is up to normal heat levels.

The Ford drivetrain warranty is five years or 60,000 miles. The bumper to bumper warranty is three and 36. If the car is good during the warranty, there is a much better than the above 1:149 data.

Voodoo3a.jpg

Purerock105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 Raptor
Correct. Break in procedure followed, but like others have said, not getting on it until it's warmed up and fluid levels and pressures are optimal readings.

I just bought a 20' Durango SRT that had 7mi on it. The break in on it is more for the transmission and drive axles(all wheel drive) than the motor, still I babied it until 513. Got the oil changed and now I'm giving it hell.

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
I have a unique situation and it looks like some guys in this thread would have helpful answers..

I currently have a '15 Roush EcoBoost. It's motor blew up at 4k miles doing daily driving (think it was a defect) the replacement motor now has 21k and I have done a lot of track days on it. I maintained it properly though, changing oil/filter after every track weekend and always making sure it was topped off to not have any starvation issue. Now I have parted that car out and am awaiting spring where I might try to trade it in for a 2016 GT350R. The R has low miles and the engine is a newer version with only 20 miles on it. I was told by a salesman that there was some issue with the AC and the block needed to be replaced. The car is a Ford certified so it has some powertrain warranty for a bit but I worry about the engine..

I'd like to talk to the tech that replaced the engine and find out what happened and what they did for those 20 miles to break it in. If I was to take a chance on a car like this I want to be sure the motor is/can be broke in and ready to run its best for a long time. I would be looking to track it, a lot. What else would you guys recommend I ask about the engine? Would you take a chance on it if the price is right?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have a unique situation and it looks like some guys in this thread would have helpful answers..

I currently have a '15 Roush EcoBoost. It's motor blew up at 4k miles doing daily driving (think it was a defect) the replacement motor now has 21k and I have done a lot of track days on it. I maintained it properly though, changing oil/filter after every track weekend and always making sure it was topped off to not have any starvation issue. Now I have parted that car out and am awaiting spring where I might try to trade it in for a 2016 GT350R. The R has low miles and the engine is a newer version with only 20 miles on it. I was told by a salesman that there was some issue with the AC and the block needed to be replaced. The car is a Ford certified so it has some powertrain warranty for a bit but I worry about the engine..

I'd like to talk to the tech that replaced the engine and find out what happened and what they did for those 20 miles to break it in. If I was to take a chance on a car like this I want to be sure the motor is/can be broke in and ready to run its best for a long time. I would be looking to track it, a lot. What else would you guys recommend I ask about the engine? Would you take a chance on it if the price is right?
I'd buy it as long as it's a track pack car and that's what you want. If it's a tech pack you will need coolers for the road course.

Regarding your question - I would hope they did a very thorough flush or replaced the oil cooler and oil cooler lines for the engine when the engine was replaced. That's about the only thing other than inspecting it. Since it's a Ford certified you will have time to drive it and make sure everything is good.

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
In this case its an R but does have AC/Radio option. Would it be asking too much to have them push the car off the showroom floor and into the shop to change all the fluids? I'd even want to have them replace the gas in it, make sure everything is fresh before firing it up for the first time in over 18 months. The long block was replaced in September of 2018, driven 20 miles then parked in the showroom since.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
If I recall correctly, there was a thread about a block cracking where the ac compressor mounted to the block. Perhaps this is the car?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If I recall correctly, there was a thread about a block cracking where the ac compressor mounted to the block. Perhaps this is the car?
I recall that thread too - the bolt-hole in the block where the AC compressor attaches was stripped out or otherwise damaged during an AC repair so they had to swap the entire engine out because of it. Not an engine failure in any sense - just bad luck.

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
Put it this way. If all of us posted on here staying the engine is great... There would only be post about the engine is great.

Over 15K cars made and around 200 issues. The bad just gets highlighted more.

And youtubes are about views..... so again, not real riveting content talking about the how awesome the car is VS i have an issue.
To date there have been APPROXIMETELY 2750 GT 350 R's produced, not counting 2020. 15,000 total ? Really 12,250 non R's since 2015 ?

Sponsored

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford raptor. 2019 GT 350 R Black red pinstripe. 1948 Ford 4 door sedan. 1973 stingray corvette.
Point is that internet is blowing the issue out of proportion.
Gotcha. I agree. There are alot of Ford Haters out there, especially the toyota, Honda, Nissan, and German fanboys.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To date there have been APPROXIMETELY 2750 GT 350 R's produced, not counting 2020. 15,000 total ? Really 12,250 non R's since 2015 ?
From this post, we have a number provided by someone with reliable information: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...re-reliable-engine.134066/page-2#post-2761908

"If we take into consideration the 2020 model year I will suggest that the FRAP will have produced well in excess of 25,000 GT350/R's over the first 6 model years."

RedRaptorME

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
From this post, we have a number provided by someone with reliable information: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...re-reliable-engine.134066/page-2#post-2761908

"If we take into consideration the 2020 model year I will suggest that the FRAP will have produced well in excess of 25,000 GT350/R's over the first 6 model years."
I'm really surprised. I didn't think there would be 21,000 GT 350 Base models produced. I apologize. The downsize to this is with these kind of production numbers for the GT 350, that kind of guarentees that it will not be worth to much like a collectable in the future. It's called overproduction of a special sports car muscle car legend.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s a pretty big assumption. I could care less about the money side. I bought it to enjoy it. That being said go pull up what a mid 80’s fox body goes for currently with low miles and showroom condition. My first new car was an 87gt when I was 18. I paid 13,5ish with ac. I’ve seen them in the 30k range now. Fred flinstone brakes and crank windows included.

I'm really surprised. I didn't think there would be 21,000 GT 350 Base models produced. I apologize. The downsize to this is with these kind of production numbers for the GT 350, that kind of guarentees that it will not be worth to much like a collectable in the future. It's called overproduction of a special sports car muscle car legend.
Sponsored