Sponsored

Light burning smell coming from engine, normal?

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Hey y'all,

Ever since I've purchased my '18 GT, I've noticed this burning smell almost every time I drive coming straight from the engine area. Sometimes it's barely noticeable, and other times it's obvious, but not unbearable. At least from the front of the grill I can easily smell it. I was wondering if this was normal? There's been no real issues with my car fortunately, but I don't know if this is any cause for concern or not? I've had it for a year and driven 11k miles on it. I may or may not notice that it gets worse after driving hard. Also, it's not a clutch burn smell, that I can guarantee.

Thanks for any feedback and help!
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Its possible that the valve cover is leaking a very small amount of oil and once it hits the exhaust or any other area of the engine hot enough you smell the burning oil. I would have an independent shop look it over for peace of mind.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Look under your car and take a look, especially by your exhaust. I had this once, and a plastic bag had attached itself to my resonator and was causing a slight plastic burning smell. Even after removing it, it took a few drive cycles to finally stop smelling. (of course it does not matter now.. my resonator no longer exists.)

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Mine did not smell any burning whatsoever when new or even now 3 years later. Though my Civic smells like burning oil but thats normal for a car with 140k miles :D

What smells burning plastic? oil? coolant?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I had a burning wire smell when I had a few thousand miles on my car after going WOT that I could smell in the cabin. It was just all the new components burning in. I don't get that anymore.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
It took me a while to get used to the burnt popcorn smell from the cats after I'd get on it. I'm not sure if the smell has gotten weaker over time or running e85 causes less of a smell but I dont notice it much anymore.

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Sounds like valve cover gaskets. Look underneath, probably burnt oil on the exhaust manifolds. If so, make an appointment at your dealer, it's a common warranty issue

OP
OP

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Thanks for all the replies guys!
It very well might possibly be a small oil leak, because I did notice my oil levels were about a quart low before my recent oil change and it would explain the constant burning smell I’ve had since I got it. Either way, I made an appointment with Ford so hopefully all goes wells and is fixed!

OP
OP

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Yup Ford confirmed today I have an oil leak coming from the oil cooler, so just waiting for the part to come in now and replace!

OP
OP

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
So after have the oil cooler line was just replaced by Ford, I noticed after getting my car back that the car exudes more heat from the engine, I can definitely feel it significantly more than I did before, and there still remains a light burning smell after I park and search for a smell, but it seems different this time. (also it may just be in my head, but my car seems louder than before as well lol). Any ideas or I'm just overthinking it?

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Engine oil cooler shouldn't make a difference to engine heat. The thermostat and fans controls that. You may get some oil residue smell for a short time as the leaked oil dissipates from heat burn off. Give it a couple of days and keep checking the ground where you park for oil dripping if the repair was not successful.
Sponsored