Cylinder 8 down on compression and misfire

Pvklol17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pavlo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
After taking a trip to Mexico I got a cylinder 8 misfire code and car did not run right. Pulled into a parking lot popped the hood and my air intake filter was covered in oil and the intake tube had a puddle of oil in as well so I limped it home. Next day I decided to do a compression test and every cylinder was at around 230-250psi except cylinder 8, it was at 60psi and that spark plug was covered in oil as well. Then I poured some oil into that cylinder and did a wet compression test and it was now reading 120psi so I know the rings are gone more than likely. The car is a 2017 gt with a vmp gen 3 blower 88mm pulley and on 93 pump gas tuned by lund. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to the engine at this point?
Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Did you happen to get gas while in mexico?

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Anyway you look at it the cylinder has to be inspected to see if a block is needed. If you have access to a inspection camera you can look into the cylinder through a spark plug hole. That may help to guide you to whether the block is damaged or piston repair only before removing the engine.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Sounds like good ol' number 8 overheated. When you take the engine out, make sure to address this issue for future protection.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Good ole fashioned ring land delete kit!

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
After taking a trip to Mexico I got a cylinder 8 misfire code and car did not run right. Pulled into a parking lot popped the hood and my air intake filter was covered in oil and the intake tube had a puddle of oil in as well so I limped it home. Next day I decided to do a compression test and every cylinder was at around 230-250psi except cylinder 8, it was at 60psi and that spark plug was covered in oil as well. Then I poured some oil into that cylinder and did a wet compression test and it was now reading 120psi so I know the rings are gone more than likely. The car is a 2017 gt with a vmp gen 3 blower 88mm pulley and on 93 pump gas tuned by lund. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to the engine at this point?
Sorry to hear that!
Can you recall the exact last run condition your car was in (gear, rpm etc) before going WOT and having the failure?

If it is a ringland then major detonation had to occur somehow obviously.

Boosted21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT
just curious did you have an aftermarket thermostat like a 170 degree thermostat or stayed stock?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Is this a boosted setup running gasoline on stock ring gaps?

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
you can build it or get a short block. a shortblock from a f150 is pretty cheap. you can get a gen3 shortblock for about $2500 new

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
do you have the head cooling mod done?

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
88mm on the 2.65 rotor pack is 13 psi according to vmp. Seems like that's usually considered a bit much for pump 93 right?

The 2.3 is usually right at 10psi at 80mm which most accept as pump limit.

Threads old though but would like to know how much timing it was taking. Can't imagine any more than 14 or 15 degrees
Sponsored