Coolant and Oil Consumption

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Oil consumption and coolant consumption are very different things. The coolant system is sealed and should not be dropping in level unless it's overflowing after heat expansion due to overfilling. There's only a few places where coolant can be lost.
1) Like I said, it can boil over and the expansion tank's lid can vent/release some of it until the pressure is normalized.

2) it can be burnt up due to a crack in the engine block or head gasket. Either of those can be checked with a combustion leak tester like this one https://www.amazon.com/UView-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76#customerReviews

3) The coolant can be spilled due to a crack in the radiator or the expansion tank, faulty expansion tank cap, loose coolant hose clamp, etc. <--- I bet #3 is what most of the people here are experiencing. If your car is burning coolant, your engine will not be running well. The plug in that cylinder will also look chalky.

That's why I suggested the dye. If it is leaking from somewhere, the dye will expose the culprit.
Oil consumption and coolant consumption are very different things. The coolant system is sealed and should not be dropping in level unless it's overflowing after heat expansion due to overfilling. There's only a few places where coolant can be lost.
1) Like I said, it can boil over and the expansion tank's lid can vent/release some of it until the pressure is normalized.

2) it can be burnt up due to a crack in the engine block or head gasket. Either of those can be checked with a combustion leak tester like this one https://www.amazon.com/UView-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76#customerReviews

3) The coolant can be spilled due to a crack in the radiator or the expansion tank, faulty expansion tank cap, loose coolant hose clamp, etc. <--- I bet #3 is what most of the people here are experiencing. If your car is burning coolant, your engine will not be running well. The plug in that cylinder will also look chalky.

That's why I suggested the dye. If it is leaking from somewhere, the dye will expose the culprit.
You might be right. But s550 owners in general need to calm down. The cars new literally every owner is one chicken nugget from,a heart attack, and seem to always be waiting for the next shoe to drop.

You have A warranty, thats what its for. Send it and enjoy it. If u think somethings bad, ford says its fine rip the fuck out of it so it actually breaks so ford can fix it...

The dye test is not a bad idea, but I wouldnt panic until shits leaking out...

Keep ripping till shes drippin
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
You might be right. But s550 owners in general need to calm down. The cars new literally every owner is one chicken nugget from,a heart attack, and seem to always be waiting for the next shoe to drop.

You have A warranty, thats what its for. Send it and enjoy it. If u think somethings bad, ford says its fine rip the fuck out of it so it actually breaks so ford can fix it...

The problem is that when it's a possible engine related issue, you want to address it before any mods which could potentially affect the warranty are done. If you tune the car and then bring it in for a coolant consumption issue which turns out to be a damaged piece of the engine, they can argue that the additional stress from the tune was the cause of the issue, thus leaving you with an expensive bill. Minor oil consumption is nothing to be worried about in a high compression engine. Coolant loss should be taken seriously.

OP
OP
dasUB3RNOOB

dasUB3RNOOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT, 2015 Competition Orange V6

Except I'm not a new S550 owner, wasn't freaking out, and literally said the oil consumption normally wouldn't even concern me if I wasn't also losing so much coolant.

You wanna read a bit slower and not jump on someone's ass so quick? I was using the warranty, Ford was just not figuring out the issue and thought I'd reach out for some info on what others thought.

Everyone else, thanks for the info and all.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Except I'm not a new S550 owner, wasn't freaking out, and literally said the oil consumption normally wouldn't even concern me if I wasn't also losing so much coolant.

You wanna read a bit slower and not jump on someone's ass so quick? I was using the warranty, Ford was just not figuring out the issue and thought I'd reach out for some info on what others thought.

Everyone else, thanks for the info and all.
Bro i dont care enjoy your motorswap...

OP
OP
dasUB3RNOOB

dasUB3RNOOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT, 2015 Competition Orange V6

Sponsored

stogie5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 5.0 Base, 2013 F-150 XLT Coyote, 2014 Fusion SE
My 2018 5.0 base at 21k miles has started to use coolant. once it warms up its very noticeable, walk around to the exhaust tips and smell the exhaust it smells EXACTLY like burning coolant. I've noticed over the past month of so the level in the overflow tank had been slowly lowering but I didn't put the two together until this week. Went to the dealer and got some coolant and this morning had to put a quart in it more or less to bring it up to the seam ( between full cold and full hot) I noted the mileage this morning and I'll be keeping an eye on it. My car burns oil as well, but nothing out of the ordinary ( maybe a quart between changes. My '13 F150 5.0 burns about the same so I don't have an issue). I waited 47 years for this car, and I bleed blue, but if I have an engine issue i will not be a happy camper. :thumbsdown:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My 2018 5.0 base at 21k miles has started to use coolant. once it warms up its very noticeable, walk around to the exhaust tips and smell the exhaust it smells EXACTLY like burning coolant. I've noticed over the past month of so the level in the overflow tank had been slowly lowering but I didn't put the two together until this week. Went to the dealer and got some coolant and this morning had to put a quart in it more or less to bring it up to the seam ( between full cold and full hot) I noted the mileage this morning and I'll be keeping an eye on it. My car burns oil as well, but nothing out of the ordinary ( maybe a quart between changes. My '13 F150 5.0 burns about the same so I don't have an issue). I waited 47 years for this car, and I bleed blue, but if I have an engine issue i will not be a happy camper. :thumbsdown:
Might want to read this thread if you haven't seen it.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/possible-head-gasket-issue-dealer-cannot-diagnose.135626/

stogie5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, yeah I had read that this morning. When I picked up the coolant yesterday I had a chat with the service advisor, he said if it keeps losing it they will do a pressure test first thing, no problem. He also advised me, that in his experience, a proper 5.0 engine does NOT lose ANY coolant. I agreed.
Like shown in that other thread, the coolant system pressure test didn't show any problem. But the borescope showed one cylinder with obvious signs of coolant leakage. Just something your shop should be aware of. Good luck, keep us posted on what they find.

stogie5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Just an update, I filled the overflow tank to the seam ( just a little over the FULL COLD mark, I have driven it HARD for about 500 miles and while the smell is still there, the coolant level hasn't fallen. I've crawled all under the car looking for leaks or wires burning or ANYTHING else that might be causing that burning sweet smell and there just isn't anything I can see. No puddles under the car , no smears indicating liquid, nothing. Underside and underhood is as clean as it was when it was brand new. It's driving me NUTS.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you checked the small hoses going to the overflow bottle?

Front of engine by water pump/timing chain cover?

Also do you smell it more inside the vehicle when using the HVAC system? If so, it could be a bad heater core inside of the HVAC box.

stogie5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked the small hoses going to the overflow bottle?

Front of engine by water pump/timing chain cover?

Also do you smell it more inside the vehicle when using the HVAC system? If so, it could be a bad heater core inside of the HVAC box.
I yanked the plastic engine cover off and took it for a drive to get it good and hot, came home and left it running and looked at every hose coming from the rad and overflow tank, no weeping no drips.

There is no smell coming from the vents. I've been in a car that had a leaking heater core I know what that smells like and this isn't it. This is a hot sweet smell coming from OUTSIDE the car, you can roll the windows up and never smell it. you can smell it sitting at a traffic light with the windows down. I have been told to look at the inside of the exhaust tips to see if they are white or black, well, mine are pretty light looking but I don't remember if mine were black inside before or not.

I HATE to have to pay someone to tell me nothing is wrong but that smell isn't normal, everyone that has smelled it immediately says something isnt right, it isn't just me. I just dont have any proof. LOL

The car seems to run well, I don't BEAT on it but I'll pull off a 5500-6000rpm shift on occasion, so I don't baby it...LOL

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the level isn't changing then maybe you're just smelling a little venting going on at the overflow cap. Put your nose down by the cap on the overflow tank and see if the coolant smell is coming from the cap venting from the coolant system pressure build-up.

stogie5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Just another update...the smell is still there, however the coolant level has not dropped, there's no water in the oil, and driveability has not gotten worse. Took it to my local Ford dealer and had a talk with them, we both agree if it isnt losing coolant how are you going to diagnose a smell? He told me to drive it and keep an eye on the fluids (I have been dood)

As an aside the 5.0 in my 2013 F150 puked a water pump last week at 50k miles. floored me. Not a good time for coolant issues in my life...LOL
Sponsored