Sponsored

How not to make a mess on the floor changing the oil?

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
If you want cheep an effective go to home Depot and get one of those small plastic mortar mixing tubs . Low and wide enough to catch oil from pan and filter. Just gotta have some upper body control and a big funnel when you go to pour it back into the empty gallon oil containers .
Sponsored

pike bishop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT, shadow blk, 401a, pp...
cheap (or free) tarp from harbor freight, which can be wiped off & reused.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I’d agree with you on just going to a shop if it weren’t for the fact that local shops by me wanted $120+ for 10 quarts of full synth 5w-30 :frown: went out and bought a 16 quart pan that day lmao

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
AS far as I last looked, Femco doesn't make a drain plug for the Mustang that uses the yellow plastic 1/4 -1/2 turn plug. All the ones I see listed are for 2016 and older Mustangs.

That said, make sure you turn the plastic plug the right way or you will break the wings on it. Ask me how I know.

I would get a UPR Drain plug (https://www.cjponyparts.com/upr-oil...MI_cCjnovj5wIVjZOzCh0-wwGMEAQYAiABEgL0NfD_BwE) and replace the plastic piece.

As someone else suggested, I use the Advance auto drain pan someone suggested here already, a sheet of plastic drop cloth or cardboard (whichever is available) and I hold the plug in the stream as someone also suggested. Works like a charm.

For the filter, I use one of those 'Form A Funnel' to catch the oil when changing the filter.

Car is on jack stands - two clicks up.

Sponsored

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
I removed the plug slowly and controlled the outflow(of course my oil was cool to the touch) I replaced the plug with the Ronin(expensive) for easy draining next time.Popping a hole in the filter and using a zip lock bag helped me.No mess at all.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What plastic OEM plug? Mines steel.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
2018 and newer GTs have a composite oil pan with a yellow plastic drain plug.

If Ford brought out a cast aluminum pan with a traditional drain plug for the 2018+, I'd be all for it.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

If Ford brought out a cast aluminum pan with a traditional drain plug for the 2018+, I'd be all for it.

Bought the UPR, AFTER buying it looks like same o ring.im wondering which wears out first,the yellow plug or the o ring.also wondering how billet aluminum gets along with softer plastic,as opposed to the yellow plastic drain plug.will it enlarge oil opening in the plastic pan.anyway,my UPR is on the way,but I'm beginning to think best bet id just change yellow drain plug at every oil change,which for me is once a year,just put at most 2 k per year.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
FWIW, my EcoBoost drain plug is metal as is the pan.
I've got a couple of pieces of cardboard that are 3' x 5'. I put 1 down to change the oil. Keeps the floor clean and I don't have to lay on cold concrete. They are great for lots of different things like protecting stuff from overspray or whenever working on something that's gonna leave a mess. And the store behind the toolbox against the wall so easy to access.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
There's no guarantee unless you cover the floor.

Big pieces of cardboard come to mind.

Or just pay a shop to do it. After decades of changing oil myself, I got sick of the mess, and taking the oil back to the parts store. I just pay to have it done.

With how infrequent the oil needs changing, it's no big deal.
Yep, this. Used to always change my own oil. Got tired of it, thus, I pay someone else to take care of it all.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Nah.. I change my own oil. My buddies garage heater burns all kinds of used oil, so he comes and picks it up. As far as no mess, car ramps, 3 gallon pail, and as shown above poke a hole in the oil filter. Easy peasy.
Sponsored