Sponsored

How's The Clutch?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
How's the clutch in the GT350s? I never test drove one so I do not know the difference between the GT and GT350. I don't even know if it's the same transmission.
Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
IMO the clutch is perfect. It's hydraulic and easy to modulate. The clutch feel is similar in both cars but the transmission is waaaay better in the GT350.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The biggest difference I noticed between my 16 manual and my 20 350 is how precise the tremec is.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It is one of the best transmissions I have driven, up there with my favorite of all times, E46 M3. It is actually lighter in engagement than my 335xi, and even lighter than my wife's Mini Cooper S.
It is something that stands out on this car also, they hit the jackpot with it. I can't have enough of shifting in this car, it is a pleasure.

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The only manuals I ever drove before my 350 were 1980s Mazda pickups and a 2006 Xterra that I DD'd through the DC Beltway rush hour. I'd heard horror stories about "sports car clutches" that you had to leg press to engage, so I was a little nervous.

The clutch in the 350 is amazing. Light, easy shifting, no complaints about it.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
It's a dual disc clutch which are noted for light pedal pressure. I agree this is pretty much the best clutch/transmission combo I've driven in 50 years.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I had 2006 Subaru STI and the clatch was very good. I have as DD 2012 Audi S4 moderately modified and the clutch is too soft compare to STI. GT350 clutch/transmission is spot on, better than any other cars that I drove, including E92 M3. Love the short shifter and precise gear shifting. It's a dying skill to drive MT here in US.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Well I'm 75 years old and had a new 16 and then new 17 GT 350 and no clutch problems. Both were easy to shift and clutch was smooth and easy.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
My 2016 clutch is going strong at 40,000 miles and 6 track days. The transmission probably could use a fluid change as it whines a little in first gear. The shifter is a bit notchy getting into second gear when cold, but once things warm up the shifting is great. Mine shifts better the higher I rev, unlike some cars that do well at low ROM but struggle up top.

the clutch uses the same over-center helper spring as the rest of the Mustangs, which makes it easy to hold in the released state, but also gives it a non-linear release. It can take some getting used to, but I don’t mind it. It’s just different than many other cars.

overall the stick shift is a great transmission in this car and one of my favorite things about it.

-T

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2016 clutch is going strong at 40,000 miles and 6 track days. The transmission probably could use a fluid change as it whines a little in first gear. The shifter is a bit notchy getting into second gear when cold, but once things warm up the shifting is great. Mine shifts better the higher I rev, unlike some cars that do well at low ROM but struggle up top.

the clutch uses the same over-center helper spring as the rest of the Mustangs, which makes it easy to hold in the released state, but also gives it a non-linear release. It can take some getting used to, but I don’t mind it. It’s just different than many other cars.

overall the stick shift is a great transmission in this car and one of my favorite things about it.

-T
I have the same issue, but with 5th gear. I have to let it warm up a bit, other wise it will grind. I changed the transmission oil myself and used Ford's automatic oil. $100 just for oil! But, what came out was old and dirty.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue, but with 5th gear. I have to let it warm up a bit, other wise it will grind. I changed the transmission oil myself and used Ford's automatic oil. $100 just for oil! But, what came out was old and dirty.
I highly recommend Redline gear oils... Smooth shifts even in most cold temps in the mornings. I always flush all my cars with Redline and never had a problem in the past 30 years...

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I highly recommend Redline gear oils... Smooth shifts even in most cold temps in the mornings. I always flush all my cars with Redline and never had a problem in the past 30 years...
Thanks for the recommendation. I just need to use Ford OEM because it is still under warrenty. Once it's up, I'll try redline.

ZZCHOPPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DAVE
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

-T
I'm on my second day after removing the helper spring completely and I'm even more in love with the car. My love affair with the car started with me not being very happy with the clutch feel. So I bought the steeda clutch spring in hopes i would be happier with the clutch feel. I was some what happier but not real happy. Yesterday I decided to remove the spring completely and I could not be happier. I can shift the car smoothly all day long. If you feel your clutch could be more linear you owe it to yourself to try this fix. You can put your car back to stock in minutes but I bet you won't. I'm loving it. I came out of a Corvette to the GT350. It's a great car. ZZCHOPPER
Sponsored