Sponsored

2021 Mustang - five things to keep, five things to dump

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Said three things in title, meant five!

So what are the best five things of current Mustangs that want to keep, five things you think Ford should dump and five new wishlist things without having to mod - try and keep roughly within Mustang price point. They have to be tangible points, not just faster, different design etc. Assume it's a given on that Ford will keep the V8, transmission choice, coupe/vert options, infotainment system etc.

Five things to keep:

Recaro bucket seat option
The black wheel design option
Bonnet ridges
Active exhaust
Mustang logo projection from light in side mirrors

Five things to dump:

Keyless entry - waste of time and security risk
The pointless cupholders (especially in UK where on the wrong side)
The DRLs - they look naff
The drive modes. Just give a traction control option of - on/partial or off.
The high bite point and lightness of clutch

Five wishlist:

The stick shift GT coupe to hit 60 in 4.5 seconds and quarter mile in under 13 seconds
20mm lower ride height
Engine to have higher compression ratios to take full advantage of higher octane fuels
Flat plane crank from GT350 and/or revs to late 7ks
Improved throttle response with option on/off auto rev matching on stick shift
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
DRL's are legally required in many places.
Keyless entry is expected at this price point. Cars costing under 20K USD have it standard.
No drive modes defeat the point of magneride and active exhaust.
GT already runs mid to low 12's.
Ride height is mandated in many places.
FPC will never ever happen.

I'd easily drop the puddle lights, color interior lights, LCD display, rev-matching, Hill assist, and active exhaust. Most of those just add cost with very little benefit.

Make My Mode 100% customizable on Performance Pack cars. Add back more rear gear options. 4.09 should be a standard option.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, change the DLRs then with LEDs, they look rubbish atm.
Porsche allows you not to have keyless and they are much more than 20k on average.
Can still have an active exhaust setting without gimmicky drive modes.
GTs do not run low 12s.
Nonsense that couldn't drop ride height by 20mm.
FPC, won't happen with your pessimism.

I agree to getting rid of LCD display and hill start assist.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
Here is my contribution:

Five things to keep:

- V8,
- manual transmission,
- exhaust modes,
- MagneRide,
- driving modes.

Five things to dump:
- big stickers on sun visors,
- the rest of classic incandescent light bulbs (to be replaced with LED),
- cup holders,
- top speed limiter,
- lousy speakers (to be replaced with better ones).

Five wish list:
- HUD,
- front parking aid,
- curve tracking headlamps,
- memory seats (missing in EU version),
- BLIS (missing in EU version).

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
2 things to keep
V8
Manual

to remove.
traction control,
auto braking/cruise control/blis/safety bullshit
gpf etc

wishlist
stop nerfing the headers and
map for proper power rather than throwing shit headers on and using generic maps for fuel for all of europe.
learn to build a car that doesn't look like it was put together by a one armed blind autistic 2 year old.

Sponsored

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
Said three things in title, meant five!

So what are the best five things of current Mustangs that want to keep, five things you think Ford should dump and five new wishlist things without having to mod - try and keep roughly within Mustang price point. They have to be tangible points, not just faster, different design etc. Assume it's a given on that Ford will keep the V8, transmission choice, coupe/vert options, infotainment system etc.

Five things to keep:

Recaro bucket seat option
The black wheel design option
Bonnet ridges
Active exhaust
Mustang logo projection from light in side mirrors

Five things to dump:

Keyless entry - waste of time and security risk
The pointless cupholders (especially in UK where on the wrong side)
The DRLs - they look naff (look perfectly fine on my 2019 thanks)
The drive modes. Just give a traction control option of - on/partial or off. (not at all a gimmick if you have magneride)
The high bite point and lightness of clutch

Five wishlist:

The stick shift GT coupe to hit 60 in 4.5 seconds and quarter mile in under 13 seconds (Standard 2018 on GT manual does 1/4 mile in 12.6 seconds, the auto in 12.1, and according to the EVO magazine test, last January, the 2019 GT did 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, the 10 speed auto has been proven to do it in under 4 seconds)
20mm lower ride height (can't say I would want that magneride looks low enough to me)
Engine to have higher compression ratios to take full advantage of higher octane fuels (I like having the choice of what to put in and not be mandated to only ever use high octane)
Flat plane crank from GT350 and/or revs to late 7ks (rev limiter on mine cuts in around 7,600/7,700 without having had any map or modification at all)
Improved throttle response with option on/off auto rev matching on stick shift (Standard 2018 on GT manual has switchable auto rev matching on manual and auto boxes.)

Sounds like OP needs to try a 2018 onward car as that will satisfy almost all his wish list.

My standard 2019 GT A10 is as near perfect as I would want, the only thing on my wish list would be for it to be maybe 700 or 800kg lighter ideally.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a fan of 18 front. Also, I would never get an auto Mustang let alone the A10 I'm afraid. I left out design and transmissions on purpose!

Do you have a link to a 19 GT UK spec stick shift Mustang doing quarter mile in less than 13 seconds?

I thought the rev limiter was 7500 rpm on 18s? I stand corrected if otherwise. I take most of your points on the wishlist, although not seen the ride height with magneride or what the throttle response is like on the 18s.

Stand by the other points!

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Keep; sunglasses holder

Drop; seat cushion edge bolster but keep seat back side bolsters. Recaro option already has seat cushion bolster if needed.

Add; 1; easy access cell phone holder
2; add option for either summer or all season tires choice with performance package

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Ford will love this thread. Everything from remove everything and stick a V8 on a hand cart, to keep everything and add more gizmos. That is why customer clinics are so useless!

Half the things people want to remove or change are mandated in the UK !

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford will have to find some similarities or choose which customer type is more valuable and whether they want to be a niche or a sheep.
What things have people said to change that are UK mandated?

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford will have to find some similarities or choose which customer type is more valuable and whether they want to be a niche or a sheep.
What things have people said to change that are UK mandated?
DRL's, traction control / stability control systems were mentioned. Not sure what you mean by niche or sheep ? They need to sell as many cars as they can, whilst they can, so will try to appeal to as wide a market as they can.

I wouldn't have bought a pre-facelift car because of the lack of electronic gizmos I am used to and want. Putting them on the car (some of which were done to deal with the dismal original NCAP rating) together with the A10 box which I love has in my case created a new customer. Niche models never make any money unless they have stratospheric prices, so if you want a cheap (relatively) Mustang you need to sell lots of them, which means appealing to a wide audience.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang sells well because it is currently a niche. Turn it into another boring gizmo stuffed auto and you may as well buy a Audi or many of the other cars that will do lazy performance cars better. I like the Mustang because even against the expensive supercars I have a one up with my naturally aspirated manual, the only exception being Porsche maybe. Saying that Im guessing we'll all have to be driving auto driverless hybrids soon.

I meant change the DRL not get rid of (as look rubbish at the moment), I should have been clearer - although DRLs are an EU directive. I agree traction control/stability needs to stay as long as can turn it off.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang sells well because it is currently a niche. Turn it into another boring gizmo stuffed auto and you may as well buy a Audi or many of the other cars that will do lazy mans performance cars better. I like the Mustang because even against the expensive supercars I have a one up with my naturally aspirated manual, the only exception being Porsche maybe. Saying that Im guessing we'll all have to be driving auto driverless hybrids soon.

I meant change the DRL not get rid of (as look rubbish at the moment), I should have been clearer - although DRLs are an EU directive. I agree traction control/stability needs to stay as long as can turn it off.
The Mustang sure isn't a niche product. It may be relatively rare in the UK but they make thousands of the things in the US.

DRL's look really good on post facelift cars.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a niche outside the US and even in the US there is not much competition even though they sell so many. Ford needs to keep that recipe, if they become a sheep then Merc/Audi do much better auto turbos stuffed with tech.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
After last few days driving in the rain and snow and odd bits of ice, I have changed my mind there is one thing I would love to change on my 2019.

Give me the option to change the magneride setting, without also altering drive mode.

Would make life so much better to have the choice of stiffer suspension, say sport mode or race mode, but with drive mode in normal so the gear changes on the A10 are not so harsh.
Sponsored