Sponsored

Steeda's New S550 Mustang Pro-Active Dampers (15-19 All)

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Steeda Pro-Active dampers work excellent with production S550 springs.
Steeda Tech
Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Steeda Pro-Active dampers work excellent with production S550 springs.
Steeda Tech
Do you have any shearable data that backs up this statement?

Why would I choose steeda's over koni's actives?

The abundant feedback from customers with stock springs and koni's active makes me more confident to choose that option rather than steeda's.
I know steeda's has a more "handling" oriented valving but what exactly does that mean? Will it be less compliant over pot hole/rough roads? Better on highway? How much difference will I feel from a base 2019 by only replacing dampers?

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Do you have any shearable data that backs up this statement?

Why would I choose steeda's over koni's actives?

The abundant feedback from customers with stock springs and koni's active makes me more confident to choose that option rather than steeda's.
I know steeda's has a more "handling" oriented valving but what exactly does that mean? Will it be less compliant over pot hole/rough roads? Better on highway? How much difference will I feel from a base 2019 by only replacing dampers?

I would suggest doing the springs and camber plates at the same time. Just doing the shocks will make a difference but the work is the same you still have to disassemble the strut. Go ahead and get the steeda progressive springs and the actives and you will be happy I promise you.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
I would suggest doing the springs and camber plates at the same time. Just doing the shocks will make a difference but the work is the same you still have to disassemble the strut. Go ahead and get the steeda progressive springs and the actives and you will be happy I promise you.
Honestly I dont want to change ride height. Streets are pretty bad in Puerto Rico so loosing ground clearance is not good. I also dont want to mess with suspension geometry.
For me it's coming down to choose which dampers can keep the car flatter and eliminate floaty feeling at higher speeds while keeping the ride soft on pot holes/rough roads.

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Honestly I dont want to change ride height. Streets are pretty bad in Puerto Rico so loosing ground clearance is not good. I also dont want to mess with suspension geometry.
For me it's coming down to choose which dampers can keep the car flatter and eliminate floaty feeling at higher speeds while keeping the ride soft on pot holes/rough roads.
I had the same concerns. I added the spacers to the kit and the ride height only changed by a 1/2". I live in Houston which has some of the worst roads in the country. My neighborhood is also filled with old people that install new speed bumps weekly. I haven't had any clearance issues. I think you will be happy with just the dampers but you will be much happier if you do the springs also. The progressive springs really soften that first bit of movement that results in some of the harshness from small bumps in pavement. The springs do most of the work the shocks just "control" the motion during transitions.

Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
I had the same concerns. I added the spacers to the kit and the ride height only changed by a 1/2". I live in Houston which has some of the worst roads in the country. My neighborhood is also filled with old people that install new speed bumps weekly. I haven't had any clearance issues. I think you will be happy with just the dampers but you will be much happier if you do the springs also. The progressive springs really soften that first bit of movement that results in some of the harshness from small bumps in pavement. The springs do most of the work the shocks just "control" the motion during transitions.
Spacers can preserve the ride height but suspension travel is lost anyway.
From what I read hitting bumpstops is really bad on these dampers as it messes with its valving principle so thats something to really watch out for when reducing suspension travel here.

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Spacers can preserve the ride height but suspension travel is lost anyway.
From what I read hitting bumpstops is really bad on these dampers as it messes with its valving principle so thats something to really watch out for when reducing suspension travel here.
Call steeda and talk to them. I haven't had any problems since I did the install and I couldn't be happier with the result. I used their replacement bump stops which are a little bit shorter and in theory give you some of your suspension travel back. I havent dukes of hazards the car but it is driven around Houston on a regular basis without problems.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Call steeda and talk to them. I haven't had any problems since I did the install and I couldn't be happier with the result. I used their replacement bump stops which are a little bit shorter and in theory give you some of your suspension travel back. I havent dukes of hazards the car but it is driven around Houston on a regular basis without problems.
I still want to hear some additional feedback on how these pair with stock springs before giving them a call.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
For rough roads and pot holes use our polyfoam bumpstops. The Steeda Active Dampers have more control than the Koni. The Steeda Active dampers are geared more for handling.
Both are great choices. Depends on your objective. Steeda has the Koni version as well.

Thank you,
Steeda Tech

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I still want to hear some additional feedback on how these pair with stock springs before giving them a call.
Shoot me an email - let me run some pricing for you & see if we can get you into the Actives wit
We did testing on stock springs - but many of our customers purchase with aftermarket springs.

For example, I have the actives on my Mustang with the dual-rate springs - most do them at the same time.

Shoot me your email to [email protected] & let me put you in contact with one of our techs that worked on the program.

TJ

Sponsored

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
For rough roads and pot holes use our polyfoam bumpstops. The Steeda Active Dampers have more control than the Koni. The Steeda Active dampers are geared more for handling.
Both are great choices. Depends on your objective. Steeda has the Koni version as well.

Thank you,
Steeda Tech
Those are the ones I used (the pre-cut polyfoam stops). They worked fine with the spacer kit and the progressives.

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
Got the new set of billet mounts and installed my rear actives. The ride quality was a great improvement over my Ford fr3 dampers but unfortunately the mounts immediately rattled like crazy. I had them assembled as per the instructions and even bought the open sided sockets to properly torque them. I completely removed and reassembled them to no avail.

I'm using steeda's adjustable bump stops and I'm on the regular ultralight linner springs. For the moment my track dampers are going back on.
20200304_111728.jpg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Please send me your contact info - I would like to put you in contact with our tech team. There should be no noise.
TJ

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Got the new set of billet mounts and installed my rear actives. The ride quality was a great improvement over my Ford fr3 dampers but unfortunately the mounts immediately rattled like crazy. I had them assembled as per the instructions and even bought the open sided sockets to properly torque them. I completely removed and reassembled them to no avail.

I'm using steeda's adjustable bump stops and I'm on the regular ultralight linner springs. For the moment my track dampers are going back on.
20200304_111728.jpg
What a pain in the ass. I bought those mounts and was planning to install them this weekend on my Steeda actives. Did you figure out why went wrong?

Danmg202

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt- 401a - PP1
What a pain in the ass. I bought those mounts and was planning to install them this weekend on my Steeda actives. Did you figure out why went wrong?[/QUOTE

Not yet, I'll contact steeda and figure out what's going on. I've used the old style billet mounts with no issues, I'm very suspicious of the bottom misalignment spacer in any case.
Sponsored