Sponsored

2018 Convertible aftermarket 12" sub installation.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I recently purchased a 2018 Ecoboost convertible. This one has the Shaker system with the factory sub. I already have an Orion 12" sub and Alpine mono amp from my old car which I plan to replace the "subwoofer" they actually thought was worth a damn to install. I'm actually disappointed with the system in general and will likely at least replace the lower door and rear speakers eventually as well.

That being said, so far I haven't seen any custom fab enclosures online that fit verts, just fastbacks. Has anyone come up with a solution that can work for a 12" with this car? I was thinking either under the carpet or upright and facing forward. I am also going to probably do a cutout of the seat back behind the driver side rear seat to improve bass response and feel inside the cabin.

Anyone?
Sponsored

CHeYeNNe71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Premium
I've only found a single 10" for convertible on ebay. I haven't installed it yet.

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
In my case, thankfully the original owner bought a spare, so that won't be a usable location for me. I'm probably going to need custom fabrication so I can mount it either where the existing factory sub is (considering keeping it there though for a little extra bump in the trunk...I just did polyfill in the enclosure Sunday and it actually gave a slight increase in response and depth) or install it in the driver's side wheel well location opposite to it.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I'm the guy that pm'd you about the other one. There's a guy on youtube that custom fab'd one in a 15-17 convertible (apparently the trunk changed slightly in the corner in the refresh, idk). HERE

I messaged him but haven't received anything back but apparently he makes them on the side to order. Maybe you could give that a try?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the heads up! I'll reach out to him and see what he can do. I did the same thing when I had this sub in my old GTI. A guy in Texas did custom fabs for VWs. Worth every penny, fit perfectly and retained a huge amount of space in my hatch.

CHeYeNNe71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Premium
Here is the Ebay box. Built quality. I'm going with a Kicker L7, but he will cut either speaker specs. Also they make a ported box as well
20200221_122105.jpg

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

CHeYeNNe71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheyenne
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Premium
Thanks for the heads up! I sent them a message to see if they can do a custom box for the driver side. Hopefully they can.
Let us know how it goes. I grabbed the door speaker rings from them for my replacement speakers. Eventually I'll get it all installed. Haha

MAD MATT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I got tired of trying to find one, so I designed and built my own. I designed it in CAD to be cheap and easy (insert "your mama" joke here) to build with simple tools and no fiberglass. I was thinking about doing a build thread if there is enough interest for me to take the time.
20200719_183524.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I got tired of trying to find one, so I designed and built my own. I designed it in CAD to be cheap and easy (insert "your mama" joke here) to build with simple tools and no fiberglass. I was thinking about doing a build thread if there is enough interest for me to take the time.
20200719_183524.jpg
That's a better looking subwoofer than what AudiodesignsCG came up with!

What CAD program did you use?
Any chance you would be willing to share a 3D STL or other cad format?
I realize your car is convertible so I would need to edit the design a little to fit my car. I use Solidworks.

I was going to make a dual 10" sub enclosure behind the seat, but I think it will be overkill, too heavy, and I would not be able to use my trunk pass through.

BTW, nothing wrong with "cheap and easy" if it works.

20grabberlime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium Convertible
20200719_183524.jpg
I see this is a little old, but did you ever decide to make or sell these or do a build thread? Looks great and want one for my convertible and looks really clean. Thanks!

MAD MATT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I lost the CAD model, but I still have a full size print, so I could recreate it. Unfortunately there are no dimensions on it. That said, I really haven't had the time. It sounds great and it is very solid with no parallel sides so there are no standing waves. I wouldn't build them, but if it was worth my time to recreate them, I'd sell the plans.
Sponsored