Sponsored

MGW Shifter with Ashiko Review

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I got to admit... I'm extremely pleased with the 675gram shift knob from Raceseng which the model I went with was the Ashiko. First of all, they actually make you feel like it's a $200 shift knob from the beginning of the unboxing to the end. Everything just feels right.

I was impressed with the MGW Shifter from the beginning but I always had issues with 3 to 2. MGW actually has a solution that won't cost you anything to do BUT to be honest I just had to try this shift knob out for myself to see if it actually made a difference and I'll tell you this much, it definitely compliments the shifter. Did it solve my problem? Absolutely, it also made every other gate which was previously smooth even more like butter.

https://www.raceseng.com/products/shift-knobs/ford/ford-mustang-gt350-2016

@madlag great suggestion; you deserve a beer for this great find.

@everyone else - try it out or don't but I wouldn't invest in any other shift knob until its 675 grams of product.

xjQxihz.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ReapSow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 and 1996 Cobra
I got to admit... I'm extremely pleased with the 675gram shift knob from Raceseng which the model I went with was the Ashiko. First of all, they actually make you feel like it's a $200 shift knob from the beginning of the unboxing to the end. Everything just feels right.

I was impressed with the MGW Shifter from the beginning but I always had issues with 3 to 2. MGW actually has a solution that won't cost you anything to do BUT to be honest I just had to try this shift knob out for myself to see if it actually made a difference and I'll tell you this much, it definitely compliments the shifter. Did it solve my problem? Absolutely, it also made every other gate which was previously smooth even more like butter.

@everyone else - try it out or don't but I wouldn't invest in any other shift knob until its 675 grams of product.
The weight on that thing is crazy.... I'm really tempted to try it out. I'm running the mgw spherical now but had the Barton stainless weighted on there with the stock shifter (before I installed mgw) and really liked it but it got way too HOT! I only weighed a pound and I thought that was heavy..... @madlag is a good dude, his suggestions and help on my car have been on point so that makes this even more tempting. Thanks for posting your review on it.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413

Thanks for the info and the link. Got any pics of your setup ??

by the way, I’ve heard people complain about the 3-2 shift with the MGW. I wasn’t aware MGW had a fix for it. Care to share what that is?

my R has a recall on the OEM shifter assembly and Im thinking about replacing it with the MGW unit. I want to make an informed decision before I buy the MGW.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I added a photo per request.

The video below demonstrates how to remove the spring.

Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500

xjQxihz.jpg
The weight on that thing is crazy.... I'm really tempted to try it out. I'm running the mgw spherical now but had the Barton stainless weighted on there with the stock shifter (before I installed mgw) and really liked it but it got way too HOT! I only weighed a pound and I thought that was heavy..... @madlag is a good dude, his suggestions and help on my car have been on point so that makes this even more tempting. Thanks for posting your review on it.
Thanks fellas! I’m glad y’all are happy with it:-)

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Ahhh. Now I remember seeing that video of the spring removal fix. Thank you for the link.

you got the exact same setup with the shifter that I am thinking about.

looks killer.
Thank you again.

trevman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT3fiddy
I'm looking into purchasing a MGW also. What is the complaint about the 3-2 shift and what does the spring removal have to do with fixing the issue?

NoXiDe - did you only replace the knob with the weighted one or did you remove the spring also?

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I left the spring alone. Just the knob. The complaint is you need to man handle it from 3-2, in other words not as smooth. Spring removal is comical, you can use your pinky to shift.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Thanks for the link to the video. Kind of funny how he just throws the spring away like a piece of dirt.

While the downshift on my MGW does have spring resistance, it never bothered me or hindered driving. I'm wondering if different units have different levels of resistance...

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Just put a little side pressure on it the you pull from 3 to 2 and it goes right in.
I had MGW's in my last 2 corvettes and they were great.
One will be going in my 350 as soon as I can find a good mechanic. Can't get under the car anymore after back surgery.
A lift would come in handy LOL.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989

xjQxihz.jpg
Hello NoXiDe, your Ashiko shift knob looks Awsome ! A few quick questions if you would be so kind to answer.
First, did you purchase and install the Raceng "Saggy Shift Boot" retainer ?
Second, how big are your "Paws" as that shift knob looks pretty big compared to the stock knob ?
Lastly, any idea on how much lower to the console your new MGW Shifter and Ashiko shift knob is ?
Thanks for your response, Ray

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@SL8888 With the GT350, If I remember right you are required to order the Shift Knob Adapter. Especially because the Big Bore is literally what it means. It's bored out pretty wide and so the Adapter allows it to become compatible with the car's shift adapter. In my install, you should technically see the OEM Silver piece underneath but my shift boot doesn't have the o-ring that keeps the boot upright, hopefully that makes sense, so the shift knob eventually tucks that part away. Aesthetically, at this point it's just preference and it doesn't bother me enough to replace my shift boot. Kind of grew on me. haha.

Second question, I got small thin hands. It is bigger than the stock knob so you will notice it when you press against it and your palm may feel it too but it will strength overtime as with anything.

Third, I measured this for you but I got 4 inches and 3 quarters tall.
Sponsored