Rear main seal replacement

arrow94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
black 15' GT
Hi guys, after shattering 3rd and 4th gear, my 2015 gt did a lot of sitting undriven for awhile. I finally spent the money on a stage 3 calimer mt-82 and I’m currently waiting on a respline and rebuild on my clutch from McLeod.

while I have the transmission out I want to change the rear main seal just as preventative maintenance due to it sitting and also because I’m near 70k miles, but I can’t find anything referring to changing it on our coyote motors.

My questions are, what kind of sealant do I use for the rear main cover?
also I ended up ordering a rear main seal but it’s made by fel-pro. Should I purchase one directly through ford instead? Is there anyone on here that’s done this before? And if so do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Hi guys, after shattering 3rd and 4th gear, my 2015 gt did a lot of sitting undriven for awhile. I finally spent the money on a stage 3 calimer mt-82 and I’m currently waiting on a respline and rebuild on my clutch from McLeod.

while I have the transmission out I want to change the rear main seal just as preventative maintenance due to it sitting and also because I’m near 70k miles, but I can’t find anything referring to changing it on our coyote motors.

My questions are, what kind of sealant do I use for the rear main cover?
also I ended up ordering a rear main seal but it’s made by fel-pro. Should I purchase one directly through ford instead? Is there anyone on here that’s done this before? And if so do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it.
You can't find any information on it because it is a non-issue. At 70k miles, the rear main seal isn't even on the radar. Try twice that at the earliest.

Sorry I didn't contribute anything towards your question, just thought I'd say something about this.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is all that needs to be said
i1p8hushlzdjyn8qvyoc.gif

OP
OP
arrow94

arrow94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
black 15' GT
Well if that’s the consensus on it then I’ll leave it alone. I just know in the past when you let a car sit for awhile seals have a tendency to leak and also when you change a clutch its something to do while you’re in there just for peace of mind. Are these coyote rear mains really that much better then the ones on older motors? I’d hate to have it start dripping in there right after I get it back together is all.
Thanks guys
Sponsored