Sponsored

Fuel problem

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Wondering if you guys have any suggestions or tips or even happened to one of you guys. I currently have a Lethal performance fuel system with Dual 465's. Couple months after install I noticed the car will not fill up over 3/4's. Once it hits 3/4's the pumps stops like its full. If I keep trying to pump it eventually pukes it out. I pulled the hat and the floater is fine, not getting caught on anything. Any help is appreciated.

49446520633_adf3d6abb1_h.jpg
Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Are you getting the same mileage per tank? I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to fill the take up all the way seems more likely the gauge would be wrong. the sensor on the float could be bad and not reading the correct resistance.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Are you getting the same mileage per tank? I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to fill the take up all the way seems more likely the gauge would be wrong. the sensor on the float could be bad and not reading the correct resistance.
That’s the most likely culprit. That or the float is just plain snagging.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Check how many Gallons you pump after you get close to empty, if it's close to 16 gals, then something is wrong with your sender. or like @Burkey said it's getting snagged on something

Sponsored

OP
OP
Velgen

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
yeah getting around the same milage to where it reads low. Depending how empty i pump it fills up with 11-12 gallons

OP
OP
Velgen

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Check how many Gallons you pump after you get close to empty, if it's close to 16 gals, then something is wrong with your sender. or like @Burkey said it's getting snagged on something
depends on how empty I am usually 11-12 gallons from empty and then stops and doesn't pass 3/4

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
depends on how empty I am usually 11-12 gallons from empty and then stops and doesn't pass 3/4
I would guess it sounds like a problem with the sender. I mean, you're "Filling up" a 16 Gallon Tank and only putting in 12 which is 3/4 of a tank but you never get more than 3/4 a tank which means you probably always have 1/4 tank in there. I would fill a 5 gallon race can and take it with me and run the car ( out of boost) until you're out of fuel. then try to refill. see if that re-balances the sender

EDIT,

Obviously if that doesn't work you're gonna have to go in there.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Like others have said sender sounds questionable. If when you put in the fuel system splicing in the new sender harness to swap it to the new hat if that connection is shitty it will read fuel level wrong. The level sender is just a rheostat really, so if the wiring has extra resistance it will read wrong values.

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
So I've seen this issue with a lot of different fuel systems, not just ours. Like others have stated, this issue would be with the fuel level sender. typically if the wiring doesn't have a solid connection or if something like the ground isn't fully making contact with a metal surface (unpainted surface), it will cause the sender to act up. This same issue affected my car as well until I cleaned off some of the body and exposed metal for the ground and resoldered the connections. Also make sure that when you put the hat back into the tank, obviously that the float is free moving. This seems like a no brainer, and may look like it's free moving as you're setting it in, but once you start twisting it into place and putting the locking ring into place, its possible it gets snagged and it reaches full rotation. Let me know if you need any help.

OP
OP
Velgen

Velgen

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I've seen this issue with a lot of different fuel systems, not just ours. Like others have stated, this issue would be with the fuel level sender. typically if the wiring doesn't have a solid connection or if something like the ground isn't fully making contact with a metal surface (unpainted surface), it will cause the sender to act up. This same issue affected my car as well until I cleaned off some of the body and exposed metal for the ground and resoldered the connections. Also make sure that when you put the hat back into the tank, obviously that the float is free moving. This seems like a no brainer, and may look like it's free moving as you're setting it in, but once you start twisting it into place and putting the locking ring into place, its possible it gets snagged and it reaches full rotation. Let me know if you need any help.
Thank you for the help! At least now I have things to look for instead of just wondering. will update this thread with the fix once I look at these tings.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is just happened to me. Showing 1/4 tank then out of gas. I’m in the middle of an intersection out of gas as I type this
Probably a good thing you weren’t giving it a bit when it starved. :facepalm:
Sponsored