Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
In all fairness, the CP-E isn't the easiest to install. I scraped by airbox some on the side. Somehow, mine was able to fit and go to the 2018 manifold and managed to not rub on the hood either. Had I run into the same problem, I'd have switched intakes, but so far so good.
Yeah I'm very glad you got yours to work. Still dunno how mine hits the hood. The CP-E is by far the coolest and probably best designed intakes of any I've seen. In fairness I think I made too much of the hood rubbing issue. It really doesn't matter. Airflow numbers were on par with the JLT in the datalog I did. For some reason, the 120mm JLT showed less airflow than the 110mm version, which is perplexing to me. All those 3 however showed higher numbers than what I saw with the 2018 Roush intake.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Yeah I'm very glad you got yours to work. Still dunno how mine hits the hood. The CP-E is by far the coolest and probably best designed intakes of any I've seen. In fairness I think I made too much of the hood rubbing issue. It really doesn't matter. Airflow numbers were on par with the JLT in the datalog I did. For some reason, the 120mm JLT showed less airflow than the 110mm version, which is perplexing to me. All those 3 however showed higher numbers than what I saw with the 2018 Roush intake.
Yeah, the 120mm JLT and the Steeda closed box were the only two intakes that caused my car to die at low rpm rolls to a stop. I'm thinking the turbulence was just too much perhaps or it was something in the tune. I would be willing to bet the 110m JLT is the perfect size as I think you can end up going too big on the 15-17's.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah, the 120mm JLT and the Steeda closed box were the only two intakes that caused my car to die at low rpm rolls to a stop. I'm thinking the turbulence was just too much perhaps or it was something in the tune. I would be willing to bet the 110m JLT is the perfect size as I think you can end up going too big on the 15-17's.
I do agree. From what I can tell 110mm is the sweet spot. And my testing was far from an exact science. Different tunes with different intakes - it's hard for me to say I had definitive proof. But I logged the MAF numbers anyway and corrected those values for the long term & short term fuel trims. Subjectively, I felt a difference up top with the JLT and the CP-E before I even saw the datalogs. There was a feeling that, yes, this is right.

Also, I do not trust dyno tests. You don't race your car on a dyno and it's not the same as traveling at speed where that ram air flow is taking effect. This is why I don't believe all those naysayers who claim CAIs don't work. I can feel it which is good enough for me. Also, errors from dyno testing could easily be larger than any errors from the sensors feeding me data in the log. I'd rather look at an "on the road driving" datalog instead.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the 120mm JLT and the Steeda closed box were the only two intakes that caused my car to die at low rpm rolls to a stop. I'm thinking the turbulence was just too much
air-flow stall. Bigger diameter means the air is flowing slower for a given draw at the other end. What you need to do is figure out the CFM needed for your RPM range and throttle-plate opening and size the tube to make sure you have enough velocity in the tube so the MAF sensor is solidly within it's effective range. A big pipe at low RPM and closed throttle likely results in eddy currents and unstable and inadequate air flows and thus "bad" MAF values.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Hope you still have the money set aside for the road course time! Looks like big changes and should turn in the results you're looking to get.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Hope you still have the money set aside for the road course time! Looks like big changes and should turn in the results you're looking to get.
Jeez, I know right? Thanks man, I think so too. The RE-71Rs may yield me a couple of seconds in my times. And I'm going to be tracking my lateral G to see what improvement there is there. As right now, 1.03 lateral G on L and R which is making me think this is sustained cornering G and not a sudden spike. There's more in it though with the Indys. I'm not fast enough yet.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The plan right now is to install the harness and get the G-LOC R8 rear pads so my braking will be more balanced and therefore effective, and run one or two events on the Indy 500s.
I think the harness will help me because there were times I know I could have pushed harder but too scared because my body was moving so much and I had to grip the steering wheel to keep myself in place. Made it feel like I was going too fast when it had more in it.

Next step is: install the 305 RE-71R - get a feel for what transformation that is. Then later - install the Ridetechs. I don't want to go right from this - to sticky wide rubber, and way stiffer springs, etc. Too large of a jump for me to contemplate.

PP undertray/splitter/ZL1 extension will probably be a later on in the year thing. I will have some things to work out on the Ridetech setup to suit to my preferences.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
When I put on my 18+ JLT my car was dying as well when i came to a stop from high speeds. At the time I remember you had the same issues so I knew it went unheard of. I increased the idle RPM and it hasn't happened since (3+ months)

5.0_MD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
Really have been enjoying reading your suspension progression over time. You early complains are some that I have dealt with my lowered PP 15 GT; sketchy handling characteristics through turns (especially on ramps with bumps that seem to raise the rear end). My question is this, where in MD do you reside? I would love to check the car out and ask questions at a meet sometime

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
we need to set up a regional meetup for suspension trials. You'all come down to Clifton, or Thurmont, or maybe Poolsville.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
we need to set up a regional meetup for suspension trials. You'all come down to Clifton, or Thurmont, or maybe Poolsville.
Definitely!

Really have been enjoying reading your suspension progression over time. You early complains are some that I have dealt with my lowered PP 15 GT; sketchy handling characteristics through turns (especially on ramps with bumps that seem to raise the rear end). My question is this, where in MD do you reside? I would love to check the car out and ask questions at a meet sometime
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. I'm in the Rockville-Gaithersburg area. I'm always happy to talk suspension and cars!

5.0_MD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
Definitely!

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it. I'm in the Rockville-Gaithersburg area. I'm always happy to talk suspension and cars!

Do you ever attend the Burtonsville meets or Clarksburg CnC meets in the spring/summer? I’m up in Baltimore but sometimes come down to those meets when the weather is nice. I also attend Hunt Valley HP occasionally

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Do you ever attend the Burtonsville meets or Clarksburg CnC meets in the spring/summer? I’m up in Baltimore but sometimes come down to those meets when the weather is nice. I also attend Hunt Valley HP occasionally
No unfortunately. Not really a car meet person at this point. I just like to drive haha

5.0_MD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
No unfortunately. Not really a car meet person at this point. I just like to drive haha
no worries! I might be reaching out with some specific questions as I save up. Might even see if you want to let go of those Ford racing struts after you install the Ridetechs
Sponsored